Australia cell phone advice

Old December 1st, 2004, 04:00 PM
Filly

Default Australia cell phone advice

I am planning on a long-term visit to Australia (approx. 5 months)
from March - July 2005. I will be staying in Adelaide but intend to
travel and would like to be able to call and receive calls from the US
as well as AUS as easily as possible. Suggestions? Please advise ASAP.

Thanks --
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:48 PM
Ralph Holz

I am planning on a long-term visit to Australia (approx. 5 months)
from March - July 2005. I will be staying in Adelaide but intend to
travel and would like to be able to call and receive calls from the US
as well as AUS as easily as possible. Suggestions? Please advise ASAP.

GSM phone, not CDMA.

Which provider doesn't really matter, there's not much difference
price-like. But do ask them what their coverage is. In any case, you
won't have reception once you leave the well-trodden paths.

You can buy SIM cards at the provider's shops in a city or in
convenience stores. You plug in the SIM card, call the number to
register and one hour later you're set up.

Ralph
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:46 AM
A Mate

Use a callback service!! With a gsm phone of course - triband if you
purchase it in the US (and not sim locked!).

I've used one in Canada (similar system to the US), Ireland, Australia,
Italy and Turkey.

I used:
http://callbackworld.com/

but there are several others - do a Google.

It's very simple, very cheap and totally effective!!

Remember - in Australia (and indeed pretty much everywhere except the US and
Canada) - receiving calls on a cell (Mobile) phone is FREE!!!

Good Luck!!!!

e-mail me if you need to on: ).

om...