New Trend? or Old News? ~~Mandatory~~ self check-in

Old October 17th, 2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom Peel[_5_]

Default New Trend? or Old News? ~~Mandatory~~ self check-in

SBC News schrieb:
I travel internationally (live in the US) quite often but not exactly every
week.

What's the problem. You can just walk up to a wall to wall row of
checkin machines and be done in 10 seconds, or stand in line for hours
with 2000 other punters snaking round the tape barriers and check in the
old fashioned way. Your choice.

T.
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SBC News

Exactly. It should be a choice. If you want to be an historic fossilized old
fogey, you should be free to be one.
And entering Alien ID numbers, dates of circumcision, hat size etc. as AF
wants to know, is not a "10-second job" btw.
bb

Old October 18th, 2007, 12:10 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message "SBC News"
wrote:

Exactly. It should be a choice. If you want to be an historic fossilized old
fogey, you should be free to be one.
And entering Alien ID numbers, dates of circumcision, hat size etc. as AF
wants to know, is not a "10-second job" btw.

About 30 seconds on AA to fly from Canada to US. 60 if you upgrade to
business and want to change your seat.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:44 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message Craig Welch
wrote:

Tom Peel said:

SBC News schrieb:
I travel internationally (live in the US) quite often but not exactly every
week.

What's the problem. You can just walk up to a wall to wall row of
checkin machines and be done in 10 seconds, or stand in line for hours
with 2000 other punters snaking round the tape barriers and check in the
old fashioned way. Your choice.

The OP made the point that for some people, using the self check
terminal is very difficult.

Perhaps. A lot of people don't even try, or otherwise get distracted
with "I can't do this" rather then looking at the screen.

When you are standing in front of a touch screen with only three
options, "Check in without bags", "Check in with bags" or "Only check
bags" and you can't figure out what to do, you probably shouldn't be
allowed to fly alone since you're obviously unable to take care of
yourself should an emergency situation occur.

I can understand being far more confused when there are multiple
options, or you need to enter data (and worse, correct mistakes since
the touchscreens are not always perfectly calibrated)

The systems are also not designed as well as they could be -- There are
a lot of stupid questions (what flight number, departure city, etc,
AFTER having scanned my passport. Given that I entered my passport when
I booked the flight, and only having one flight on that day, why not
jump straight to the "Is this your flight?" screen?).

In other words, I can understand needing help at some point in the
process. Not even trying isn't excusable.

My grandmother is a poster child for this, she does quite well if you
point to each line and have her read it, then she can pick the one she
wants and can navigate most interfaces without any difficulty, but on
her own, she panics and doesn't even try. It's frustrating. Maybe I'll
understand when I get older (But frankly, I hope not)

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old October 18th, 2007, 04:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 20:44:48 -0600, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In message Craig Welch
wrote:

Tom Peel said:

SBC News schrieb:
I travel internationally (live in the US) quite often but not exactly every
week.
What's the problem. You can just walk up to a wall to wall row of
checkin machines and be done in 10 seconds, or stand in line for hours
with 2000 other punters snaking round the tape barriers and check in the
old fashioned way. Your choice.

The OP made the point that for some people, using the self check
terminal is very difficult.

Perhaps. A lot of people don't even try, or otherwise get distracted
with "I can't do this" rather then looking at the screen.

You are also assuming everybody travelling is able to
understand English, which is what most of these machines
use.
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message irwell
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 20:44:48 -0600, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In message Craig Welch
wrote:

Tom Peel said:

SBC News schrieb:
I travel internationally (live in the US) quite often but not exactly every
week.
What's the problem. You can just walk up to a wall to wall row of
checkin machines and be done in 10 seconds, or stand in line for hours
with 2000 other punters snaking round the tape barriers and check in the
old fashioned way. Your choice.

The OP made the point that for some people, using the self check
terminal is very difficult.

Perhaps. A lot of people don't even try, or otherwise get distracted
with "I can't do this" rather then looking at the screen.

You are also assuming everybody travelling is able to
understand English, which is what most of these machines
use.

Yes, and I'm willing to make exceptions for those who can't operate the
machines, as opposed to those who can, but won't try.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
br

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message irwell
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 20:44:48 -0600, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In message Craig Welch
wrote:

Tom Peel said:

SBC News schrieb:
I travel internationally (live in the US) quite often but not exactly every
week.
What's the problem. You can just walk up to a wall to wall row of
checkin machines and be done in 10 seconds, or stand in line for hours
with 2000 other punters snaking round the tape barriers and check in the
old fashioned way. Your choice.
The OP made the point that for some people, using the self check
terminal is very difficult.
Perhaps. A lot of people don't even try, or otherwise get distracted
with "I can't do this" rather then looking at the screen.

You are also assuming everybody travelling is able to
understand English, which is what most of these machines
use.

Yes, and I'm willing to make exceptions for those who can't operate the
machines, as opposed to those who can, but won't try.

But what if you are just a lazy swine, and can't be arsed to do it on a
particular day?
When did we slip into a world where we cannot "push back" against the
MAN who wants us to be just like ants to their desired machinations?

It's like seat belts. Damned good to great idea. I used to wear one
almost always, UNTIL they made in compulsory. Now I never do. You see, I
am not willing to behave like a rat on the maze when it does not make
sense and hurts no-one. I obey all sensible traffic laws, like speed
[never had a ticket, never speed!], which affects others' safety. But
stuff which affects MY safety, is MY f'ing business, whether the man
tells me it is not. Worst case, I'll move to New Hampshire where "Live
Free or Die" actually still means something and they "push back." No
compulsory seat belts there. And I'm not joking if it comes to it.

I am NOT HEARING THE VOICES OF PUSH_BACKERS these days!!!! "Screw your
check-in machines" Screw you trying to get me to lower YOUR costs, and
hassle myself into oblivion when airline travel is already like some
form of cruel and unusual punishment to start with. !!!

Have we (a nation that used to cross vast prairies on our own wits,
shoot heads off rattlesnakes on a daily basis, and subsist on a bit of
bacon and biscuit) rolled over and become "club me, club me" baby seals?

It's like the Twilight Zone. Hello?? Am I the last man on earth to push
back??? Hellooooo?? Anyone there???? [sound of echoing footsteps
{mine} and tumbleweeds tumbling]

Signed, the Last Man On Earth (except the follow on posters who will
reassure me that I am not!)

cue Rod and cigarette []
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

irwell wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 20:44:48 -0600, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In message Craig Welch
wrote:

Tom Peel said:

SBC News schrieb:

I travel internationally (live in the US) quite often but not exactly every
week.

What's the problem. You can just walk up to a wall to wall row of
checkin machines and be done in 10 seconds, or stand in line for hours
with 2000 other punters snaking round the tape barriers and check in the
old fashioned way. Your choice.

The OP made the point that for some people, using the self check
terminal is very difficult.

Perhaps. A lot of people don't even try, or otherwise get distracted
with "I can't do this" rather then looking at the screen.

You are also assuming everybody travelling is able to
understand English, which is what most of these machines
use.

Most of the machhines in the US use English.
I don't most machines in non-English speaking countries to be in English.

That said, it is interesting that sometime in the past yeara, WAMU
(Washington Mutual) in this area has added Russian to their ATMs
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message br wrote:

But what if you are just a lazy swine, and can't be arsed to do it on a
particular day?
When did we slip into a world where we cannot "push back" against the
MAN who wants us to be just like ants to their desired machinations?

Sure. What if you don't want to check in at all, or bother with
security? Should you be able to skip whatever portions of the check-in
process you want?

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:50:40 -0600, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In message br wrote:

But what if you are just a lazy swine, and can't be arsed to do it on a
particular day?
When did we slip into a world where we cannot "push back" against the
MAN who wants us to be just like ants to their desired machinations?

Sure. What if you don't want to check in at all, or bother with
security? Should you be able to skip whatever portions of the check-in
process you want?

That's how it used to be, not too long ago.
Check in at curbside, or check in at the counter,
or go straight to the gate were all common options.