Voting for future EU expansion

Old June 7th, 2005, 11:53 AM
spamfree

Default Voting for future EU expansion

I am convinced that talk of Turkey joining the EU was a major
reason for the recent EU constitution votes in France and the
Netherlands. I saw interviews with many people from the NO
camp and many of them expressed a negative view of Turkey.
The recent events on International Women's Day may have made
many Europeans leery of inviting a Muslim country into the EU,
and rightly so in my opinion. I also saw an interview with one of
the UK opposition on BBC (on Hardtalk with Stephen Sackur)
where the politician was obnoxiously convinced that Turkey's
joining the EU was so obviously a great idea, according to him.
Clearly there is a disconnect between the people and the EU
politicians. I wonder if the EU politicians need to add language
to the EU constitution mandating a referendum in all EU countries
before any more new members are added. Then the people could
control which new countries are added.

Pete