Best beach place to stay for a few days in California?

Old June 6th, 2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Best beach place to stay for a few days in California?

Hi everyone,

I'll be driving from LA to San Francisco (H-1) this June with my wife and I was
wondering which place would you recommend for stopping by and relaxing for few
days. I'm looking for something not too crowded, with a nice beach and
a camping place, where you can stay for like 3 days without suffering from the
crowds and not get bored at the same time.

Thanks for any advices,

-marek
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article ,
Marek Zawadzki wrote:
I'll be driving from LA to San Francisco (H-1) this June with my
wife and I was wondering which place would you recommend for
stopping by and relaxing for few days. I'm looking for something
not too crowded, with a nice beach and a camping place, where you
can stay for like 3 days without suffering from the crowds and not
get bored at the same time.

Beach plus camping == crowds

That said, I will suggest Pismo State Beach.

Old June 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-06-06, Todd Michel McComb wrote:
[...]
Beach plus camping == crowds

That said, I will suggest Pismo State Beach.

Thanks. In case I'd decide not to camp, am I doomed to pay 150 a night or
maybe someone can recommend a beach place where motels are less expensive?

-marek
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 21:25:55 +0000 (UTC), Marek Zawadzki

On 2006-06-06, Todd Michel McComb wrote:
[...]
Beach plus camping == crowds

That said, I will suggest Pismo State Beach.

Thanks. In case I'd decide not to camp, am I doomed to pay 150 a night or
maybe someone can recommend a beach place where motels are less expensive?

You might check out Avila Beach.

Actually, if you want a fun time, try Santa Cruz, which has a
good beach and a coastside amusement park, and a municipal pier
with some interesting restaurants and lots of sea lions lolling
about underneath.

Old June 7th, 2006, 12:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Hatunen wrote:
You might check out Avila Beach.

My first thought. I used to spend several days a Summer with friends
who rented a house there. Not far from Pismo Beach or San Luís Obispo.

Actually, if you want a fun time, try Santa Cruz, which has a
good beach and a coastside amusement park, and a municipal pier
with some interesting restaurants and lots of sea lions lolling
about underneath.

Another excellent choice.

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
Southern California's Four Seasons:
Earthquake, Mudslide, Brushfire, and Riot.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

Old June 10th, 2006, 05:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-06-06, Todd Michel McComb wrote:
[...]
Beach plus camping == crowds

That said, I will suggest Pismo State Beach.

Thanks. In case I'd decide not to camp, am I doomed to pay 150 a night or
maybe someone can recommend a beach place where motels are less expensive?

You might check out Avila Beach.

Actually, if you want a fun time, try Santa Cruz, which has a
good beach and a coastside amusement park, and a municipal pier
with some interesting restaurants and lots of sea lions lolling
about underneath.

Well, they were traveling from LA to SF, so I assumed a midway stop. If
they aren't interested in midway, then Santa Cruz is a great place to spend
a couple of days. The KOA near Santa Cruz frequently has space available on
a few weeks notice. Everything else is booked 7 months in advance, with
some undependable last minute availability. Santa Cruz is more interesting
to me than Pismo or Avila, unless they want to check out Hearst Castle.

Old June 6th, 2006, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-06-06, Todd Michel McComb wrote:
[...]
Beach plus camping == crowds

That said, I will suggest Pismo State Beach.

Thanks. In case I'd decide not to camp, am I doomed to pay 150 a night or
maybe someone can recommend a beach place where motels are less expensive?

You want beautiful beaches and cheap hotel prices? I am afraid those
two are pretty mutually exclusive. That said Pismo beach is a great
suggestion.

-marek

Old June 7th, 2006, 12:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article ,
Marek Zawadzki wrote:
In case I'd decide not to camp, am I doomed to pay 150 a night or
maybe someone can recommend a beach place where motels are less
expensive?

You did a bit of a search, I guess? Anyway, Pismo Beach (the town)
is full of small motels with no ocean view. If it's an uneventful
weekday, you should be able to show up and find something well under
$150... like half, in my experience. A nice, ocean view type of
place, yes, the rate is about $150. There are some really nice
ones. You can't go wrong with the Kon Tiki, if you want to pay.

That said, the cheapest place to stay near a beach in that stretch
should be Seaside/Sand City. Elegant, it is not.

Old June 7th, 2006, 01:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

I stayed in Pismo Beach a few years ago and stayed in a hotel off the
highway, about 5-10 drive to the beach for about $60/night. I can't
remember the name, but I think it may have been motel6??

Old June 8th, 2006, 02:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

There's Premier Inn in Arroyo Grande just south and a few miles inland
from Pismo Beach, which is a step up from motel 6. And I think an Econo
Lodge there too in AG. Grover Beach I think has affordable motels.

Will the 3 days include a Friday and Sat.? if yes they will be pricier
than Sun - Thurs. A little inland won't be as pricey as on or close to
the beach.