The Carlton Airport Hotel near Dublin at $200.00 US was adisappointment to this American

Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mtnman

Default The Carlton Airport Hotel near Dublin at $200.00 US was adisappointment to this American

My wife and I had originally intended to stay at this hotel at our
arrival in Dublin on 5/3/2011
and departure from Dublin on 5/18/2011 and I reserved online
accordingly. We then had a change of plans changing our arrival date
at 5/4 and departure 5/19. I cancelled 5/3 and reserved 5/4
and in 5/18 and out 5/19 online and figured I would verbally cancel
the in 5/17 and out 5/18
when I arrived in Dublin 5/4 but forgot to cancel the 5/17 arrival
when I arrived in Dublin 5/4 and departed the hotel on 5/5 to travel
around Ireland by rental car for two weeks.

When we arrived back at the hotel on 5/18 I was advised that I was a
no show for the night before and would be charged for two nights. Fair
enough my fault for not verbally cancelling in 5/17 when I should
have..

Bur here's the wrinkle- I was advised that our room was not availble
on 5/18 even though I was being charged for it for 5/17 as a no show.
We arrived about 10:30 am
and the room was not made available until sometime after noon and my
wife was snidely advised that check in time was 15;00 pm even though I
was being charged for a room the nite before as a no show. WTF?

The other problem was the heat or lack thereof at $200 US per nite. I
fiddled with the radiator to no avail and then called the front desk.
Two people did come to the room promptly to check out the heat and
showed us how to turn on the radiator and we were advised that it
takes a "long time" for that radiator to heat up and it was late
afternoon with the sun going down. Eventually some warmth came to the
radiator but a feeble, feeble number of BTUs which didn't heat he room
at all. At night the little heat we did have shut down completely and
it was uncomfortable in the room based on that $200 US per night. The
room was too cold in the early morning for either of us to shower in
preparation for our flight back to the states from Dublin.

The other problem was at $200 US per nite coffee/ making facilities
were not provided with the room. Early morning coffee is my one
addiction. I went down to the breakfast room for my fix when it opened
at 06:30 and requested coffee in container to take out to the computer
provided in the lobby to check the news and my email at a charge of 1
euro for each 15 minutes online.

The coffee cup was so small I ordered two cups at once for a charge of
7 euros for the two (about $10.00 US),

The night after our return to the US (5/19/2011) we stayed at another
hotel near the airport in Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA and they had
free coffee available free to guests in the lobby 24/7 which was a
refreshing change. Also computers were available free of charge to
guests to check their email and read what was happening in the world
on the internet but not at $200.00 US per night for that room in
Philly but at $107.00 per nite right by the airport in Philly in the
good old USofA ( and we are supposed to be the greedy ones?). We
didn't need heat in Philly on the nite of 5/19 but the thermostat
climate control system in the room slightly cooled the room
perfectly

I have been travelling to Europe for over 40 years. My first time to
Ireland was in 1968 and I have lost count the number of times I have
been toi Ireland since then but it has been about 6 or 7 times over
the years.

I hope top return to Ireland again but I will not be staying at the
Carlton Airport
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On May 22, 11:50*pm, mtnman wrote:
[...]

Well, that does sound like a right rip off.
But I still remain surprised at the number of tourists, especially
from the US, who appear to be willing to routinely pay $200+ per night.
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ex_OWM

Surreyman wrote:
[...]

Especially wehne the standard rate at the Carlton is Euro 85 ~ $120 per
night.

http://www.carlton.ie/ires/bookingen...ode=&x=31&y=16

Old May 24th, 2011, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ex_OWM

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 24 May 2011 22:43:01 +0100, "EX_OWM"
wrote:

Surreyman wrote:
[...]

Published rate for June is $250 per night.
http://www.carlton.ie/ires/bookingen... =&num_rooms=1

You'd have to be kinda stupid to select that when there is a pre-pay rate of
$85 or "Room Sale" (cacellable) at $89 on the same page.

Old May 25th, 2011, 10:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ex_OWM

Martin wrote:

wrote:

Surreyman wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't, but maybe if you book months in advance via a travel agent
the pre-pay rate isn't available.

The rates are available right through to December, I guess theyre due to
change in January. The moral of the story is that if you're going through a
travel agent, check out rates online beforehand and if the agent is giving
you the most expensive rate then dump him.

Old May 25th, 2011, 11:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
mtnman

On May 24, 5:43*pm, "EX_OWM" wrote:
Surreyman wrote:
[...]

http://www.carlton.ie/ires/bookingen...te=2011-05-25&....

That;s for a single. I had a wife with me and the doubles go for 129
plus an online non refundable "booking fee" unheard of in the USofA

Another rip off in Europe: We can cancel with full refund in most
hotels in the states if one cancels before 18:30 on the day of
arrival.
If I recall this hotel like many European hotels will refund fully
only if cancelled 72 hours before arrival date. (and we Americans are
accused of being the greedy ones).
Old May 26th, 2011, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ex_OWM

mtnman wrote:
On May 24, 5:43 pm, "EX_OWM" wrote:
Surreyman wrote:
[...]

No, it's a room rate, single or double occupancy.

I had a wife with me and the doubles go for 129
plus an online non refundable "booking fee" unheard of in the USofA

Another rip off in Europe:

You have been seriously ripped off but I get the distinct impression it was
in the USA where you did your booking.

We can cancel with full refund in most
hotels in the states if one cancels before 18:30 on the day of
arrival.
If I recall this hotel like many European hotels will refund fully
only if cancelled 72 hours before arrival date. (and we Americans are
accused of being the greedy ones).

Varies by hotel, just as I imagine it would do in the USA. Carlton Room Sale
rate is cancellable up to 48 hours which is fairly standard for chains like
that. I cancelled a different hotel a couple of weeks ago day before arrival
and had no charge.

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
mtnman

On May 26, 4:08*pm, "EX_OWM" wrote:
mtnman wrote:
On May 24, 5:43 pm, "EX_OWM" wrote:
Surreyman wrote:
[...]

Here is where my wife and I stayed immediately prior to our flight to
Dublin at a reasonable distance from the Philadelphia Pennsylvania
International Airport:

Note the cancellation policy is no charge if cancelled prior to 6:00
pm on the evening of check in.

Note that at $129.00 per nite the rate includes a hot breakfast and
free coffee was available in the lobby 24/7. In addition a coffee
maker and free coffee is provided with the room

Free wifi internet computer access was availble for my laptop. For
those without a laptop a computer and printer was available free of
charge in the lobby.

In addition the hotel had a thermostat which controlled either heat or
air conditioning 24/7 for the comfort choice of their guests.

The hotel is on three floors and several elevators are available.

Pets are welcomed free of charge. I have been there many times with my
60lb hound dog, Rusty

Two restaurants are located a few steps from the hotel front door in
the hotel parking area

Please show me a full service available hotel typical like this of
many hotels in the USof A anywhere in Europe offering these services
at this rate within a reasonable drive to any European international
airport

Hampton Inn Downingtown/Exton in Lionville Pennsylvania has nightly
rates from $129.00. Click the button below for rates and availability,
including room layout, images, facilities, and more, and then make
reservations online. For more information, see the hotel description
below

Hotel Amenities for Hampton Inn Downingtown/Exton
Americans with Disabilities ACT ADA Compliant
Air Conditioned
AM/FM Alarm Clock
Bath Tub
Breakfast Buffet
Business Center
Conference Facilities
Continental Breakfast
Coffee Maker in Room
Copy Service
Handicapped Rooms/Facilities
Electronic Door Locks
Express Check In
Express Checkout
Free Parking
Golf
Hairdryers Available
Heated Guest Rooms
Internet Access – Complimentary
High speed internet access
Wireless Internet Access
Iron
Ironing Board
Jogging Track
Lounge
Microwave
In Room Movies
Meeting/Banquet Facilities
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
Pets Allowed
Pool
Heated Pool
Outdoor Pool
Parking
Safe Deposit Box
Smoke Detectors
Sofa Bed
Sprinklers In Rooms
Temperature Control
Television with Cable
TV Remote Control
U.S. Government Fire Safety Approved
Laundry/Valet Services

Cancellation Policy
Cancel before 6:00 PM of arrival day. Cancellation penalty is 1 nights
including tax.

number of Floors: 4

Read more at Trails.com: Hampton Inn Downingtown/Exton - Lionville
Pennsylvania Hotel | Trails.com
http://www.trails.com/hampton-inn-do...#ixzz1NXVVlHMx
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
mtnman

On May 26, 4:08*pm, "EX_OWM" wrote:
mtnman wrote:
On May 24, 5:43 pm, "EX_OWM" wrote:
Surreyman wrote:
[...]

My wife's sister had intended to join us but cancelled when she
discovered how much everything would cost in Euros.

Here are confrirmations for single and double booked onlune with the
hotel:

Booking Confirmation Details
Thank you for booking Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport, we hope you will
have a pleasant stay.

Your confirmation number is 990898686 - Cancel / Change this booking

You may cancel or change this booking in accordance with our
cancellation policy for this rate - All rates quoted are subject to
availability and alteration. A non refundable deposit to the value of
8 of the total value of the accommodation booking will be deducted at
booking stage. To make a booking you must enter the details of a valid
credit or charge card legally held by you. All bookings are subject to
a Credit Card transaction fee of €3.00. All discount rates quoted
are limited offers and may be subject to a minimum length of stay.
While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of all
information. In the unlikely event you or your party wish to cancel or
amend your reservation, you must contact the hotel directly. Please
note the following cancellation policies: The hotel must be contacted
48 hours prior to arrival to avoid a charge of the first night's
accommodation per room booked. Pre-authorization of credit card is
taken on check-in to the hotel. In the event that you do not wish to
use one, prepayment for accommodation must be made by cash payment on
check-in.

Details of your Reservation are as follows:
Arrival Date 04 May 2011
Departure Date 05 May 2011
Rooms 1
Adults per room 1
Children per room 0
Rate Description Room Only Rate is per room per night. Breakfast is
extra
Room Description Our Carlton Signature Double room features oversized
Double Bed and includes complimentary Broadband access, Tea & Coffee
Making Facilites, Robes on request, Electronic Key Card Entry, Sound
Proofing, Comfy Duvets, movies on demand and complimentary car
parking.
Daily Rate €89.00
Child Supplement
(per room) €0.00
Total Rate €89.00
Deposit Paid -€7.12
Total Remaining €81.88
Credit Card Charge €3.00
Tax Information All Taxes and Charges are Inclusive of Rate. VAT 13.5
Cancellation Policy All rates quoted are subject to availability and
[...]
Check-in Time 15.00
Check-out Time 12.00
Special Requests
* Please note that any special requests will be passed to the hotel
but cannot be confirmed until check in.

Guest Details

Booking Confirmation Details
Thank you for booking Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport, we hope you will
have a pleasant stay.

Your confirmation number is 963455919 - Cancel / Change this booking

[...]

Arrival Date 18 May 2011
Departure Date 19 May 2011
Rooms 1
Adults per room 2
Children per room 0
Rate Description Room Only Rate is per room per night. Breakfast is
extra
Room Description
Daily Rate €129.00
Child Supplement
(per room) €0.00
Total Rate €129.00
Deposit Paid -€10.32
Total Remaining €118.68
Old May 27th, 2011, 11:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
mtnman

On May 27, 5:53*am, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 27 May 2011 01:35:32 -0700 (PDT), mtnman
wrote:

On May 26, 4:08*pm, "EX_OWM" wrote:
mtnman wrote:
On May 24, 5:43 pm, "EX_OWM" wrote:
Surreyman wrote:
[...]

but not very handy for visiting Europe :-)

Please show me a full service available hotel typical like this of
many hotels in the USof A anywhere in Europe offering these services
at this rate within a reasonable drive to any European international
airport

Best stay at home until the value of the USD increases substantially.
:-)

Hampton Inn Downingtown/Exton in Lionville Pennsylvania has nightly
rates from $129.00. Click the button below for rates and availability,
including room layout, images, facilities, and more, and then make
reservations online. For more information, see the hotel description
below

Hotel Amenities for Hampton Inn Downingtown/Exton

WTF is Lionville? :-)

Where is Lionville Pennsylvania? An easy ride to Philadelphia
International Airport where one can catch a direct flight to Dublin
plus many other international destinations

Hit the plus tab at:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=gl

http://www.trails.com/hampton-inn-do...el-19783.html#...

Post your gripes about hotels to Trip Advisor. Far more hotel
potential customers will read them and might even look/go elsewhere.
--

Martin

I did post to TripAdvisor under GApaddy, The manager seems to respond
only when the hotel gets complimented.