Driving in Canada on a UK license

Old August 1st, 2005, 12:25 PM
Paul Silver

Default Driving in Canada on a UK license

Hi,

I'm visiting Canada in October and I'd like to hire a car, will I be
allowed to do this with a standard full British driving license? I
don't have an international license but I could probably get one by the
time I go if I need it.

Thanks

Paul

Old August 1st, 2005, 02:07 PM

You'll have no problems. You can hire a car with a UK licence. You may
need your passport as well, particularly if you have an old style
licence.

It's also legal to drive on your UK licence which is at least as
important a question.

You can get an IDP on demand at main Post Offices BTW so there's no
waiting time. But you don't need one.

Old August 1st, 2005, 03:24 PM
B Vaughan

On 1 Aug 2005 04:25:15 -0700, "Paul Silver"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm visiting Canada in October and I'd like to hire a car, will I be
allowed to do this with a standard full British driving license? I
don't have an international license but I could probably get one by the
time I go if I need it.

The International Driver's Permit is intended to provide a uniform
format for the information on your national license and to translate
it into a number of different languages. It must always be accompanied
by your national license, as it is not in itself a valid license.
Since Great Britain and Canada have a language in common, the IDP is
superfluous in your case.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:42 PM
Paul Silver

Excellent, thanks for the replies.

Old August 1st, 2005, 05:57 PM
Barb

No problem. I did 2.5k miles in British Columbia in June, in a rented car
on a clean UK licence.

Barb

oups.com...

Old August 1st, 2005, 05:59 PM
gman99

Paul Silver wrote:
Hi,

I'm visiting Canada in October and I'd like to hire a car, will I be
allowed to do this with a standard full British driving license? I
don't have an international license but I could probably get one by the
time I go if I need it.

Thanks

Paul

Just remember to drive on the right side of the road !!

Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:51 AM
Martin Bienwald

gman99 wrote:
Paul Silver wrote:

I'm visiting Canada in October and I'd like to hire a car, will I be
allowed to do this with a standard full British driving license?

Just remember to drive on the right side of the road !!

Coming from Britain, he might consider it the wrong side of the road ... ;-)

.... Martin
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Paul Silver

Martin Bienwald wrote:
gman99 wrote:
Paul Silver wrote:

I'm visiting Canada in October and I'd like to hire a car, will I be
allowed to do this with a standard full British driving license?

Just remember to drive on the right side of the road !!

Coming from Britain, he might consider it the wrong side of the road ... ;-)

I'll have some passengers to scream at me, but I expect the first few
journeys will start with me muttering "keep to the right... keep to the
right... keep to the right."

One of the group is a Brit who's driven more on the right-hand side of
the road than the left, so I'm expecting him to be the most critical!

Paul

Old August 4th, 2005, 04:40 PM
pltrgyst

On 4 Aug 2005 07:27:39 -0700, "Paul Silver" wrote:

I'll have some passengers to scream at me, but I expect the first few
journeys will start with me muttering "keep to the right... keep to the
right... keep to the right."

When I drive in the UK, I find that keeping in the proper lane is not so much a
problem. It's positioning the car within the lane that requires constant
attention, since you're sitting on the opposite side of the car from what you're
used to.

-- Larry

Old August 6th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Pinot Grigio

One of the group is a Brit who's driven more on the right-hand side of
the road than the left, so I'm expecting him to be the most critical!

Paul

It would be useful to have this person named as an additional driver
especially if you are driving long distances or to take it in turns to drink
and not drive. It is often free to add another driver which can be done
when you pick up the car.