Motor home in Scandinavian countries ?

Old September 15th, 2003, 09:05 PM
Jerry

Default Motor home in Scandinavian countries ?

We are starting to plan a trip to Norway and Sweden for next year.
Has anyone travelled there using a motor home ? What are the "camp" sites
like ?

We rented a motor home in New Zealand last year and found that to be
wonderful experience.

--
Take care,
Jerry

Old September 16th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Heather Morrison

The camp sites are really nice but basic. You will find driving in Norway
takes a lot longer than you would expect. We drove up through sweden from
Copenhagen last summer. We went from Oslo up through Lillehammer to
Geiranger Fjord..over to the Briksdal Glacier..we visited Galdopiggen
(Norway's highest mountain) then a side trip to Alesund..out to the coast
down to Stavanger..which we loved...and back across Sweden and down to
Copenhagen again.

The roads can be very narrow..and have no passing lanes..speeds around 70kms
at max. Tons of little ferries to catch takes time. We did it in our
car..but there were a lot of campers about. We camped in a beautiful spot on
the shores of Geiranger and had a lovely four days there.

I think you will have a wonderful visit..just budget a lot more time for
driving and stopping. You get ambushed by herds of goats and sheep on the
roads that you have to stop for..etc.. Norway is one of the most beautifully
natural countries I have ever been to.

Enjoy!

Heather

Old September 17th, 2003, 12:10 AM
Bob

It depends what type of motorhome you're thinking of. They tend to be much
smaller in Europe than the 40 foot monsters you see all over the US. We've
toured all over Scandinavia in a VW camper, and never had any problems at
all. Though it's not officially sanctioned, there are infinite possibilities
for freecamping in Scandinavia. Some of the rest stops in Norway and
Denmark, for instance, are nicer than many campsites, with clean toilets,
lots of hot water, and the most incredible views you can imagine.
Campgrounds themselves are plentiful and very nice.

Bob

--
Travel and Astonomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo