OT - Cancun

Old January 25th, 2008, 04:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
Newby

Default OT - Cancun

Might be traveling to Cancun later this year, June or July. Is it advisable
to rent a car or depend on local transportation? If I go, I would like to
visit Mayan ruins. Any recommendations as to which to see?

Thank you for any help.

Old January 25th, 2008, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sue Mullen

Newby wrote:
Might be traveling to Cancun later this year, June or July. Is it advisable
to rent a car or depend on local transportation? If I go, I would like to
visit Mayan ruins. Any recommendations as to which to see?

If you are going from a cruise, I would do a cruise ship excursion so
you will be sure the ship won't leave without you. If you are staying in
Cancun I would rent a car so you can come and go as you please.

sue
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
Newby

"sue mullen" wrote in message

Newby wrote:
Might be traveling to Cancun later this year, June or July. Is it

advisable
to rent a car or depend on local transportation? If I go, I would like

visit Mayan ruins. Any recommendations as to which to see?

If you are going from a cruise, I would do a cruise ship excursion so
you will be sure the ship won't leave without you. If you are staying in
Cancun I would rent a car so you can come and go as you please.

sue

Thanks. Not going from a cruise, that's why I posted OT. Didn't know if
renting a car in Mexico would be a smart thing to do...or not to do.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Old January 25th, 2008, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
Joseph Coulter[_3_]

"Newby" wrote in
:

Might be traveling to Cancun later this year, June or July. Is it
advisable to rent a car or depend on local transportation? If I go, I
would like to visit Mayan ruins. Any recommendations as to which to
see?

Thank you for any help.

Mexico has greater liability issues, do (it is mandatory) take all the
insurance they will sell you. Driving isn't so bad but you don't wnat to
have trouble in Mexico. I would rent for the day and go to the ruins (it
is what I did) and not have a car most ofthe time. Beware free car
rental in Cancun it is all about (as are all freebies in Cancun) time
share.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Old January 25th, 2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air, rec.travel.cruises, rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
number6

On Jan 25, 11:27*am, "Newby" wrote:
"sue mullen" wrote in message

Newby wrote:
Might be traveling to Cancun later this year, June or July. *Is it

advisable
to rent a car or depend on local transportation? *If I go, I would like

visit Mayan ruins. *Any recommendations as to which to see?

If you are going from a cruise, I would do a cruise ship excursion so
you will be sure the ship won't leave without you. If you are staying in
Cancun I would rent a car so you can come and go as you please.

sue

Thanks. *Not going from a cruise, that's why I posted OT. *Didn't know if
renting a car in Mexico would be a smart thing to do...or not to do.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Definitely need one to get around to ruins ... but be sure to take
every insurance they offer ... In the US I decline each and every
time ... In Mexico it is very wise to take it ... there are some
horror stories about some who didn't ...

Old January 25th, 2008, 05:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sue Mullen

Newby wrote:
"sue mullen" wrote in message

Newby wrote:
Might be traveling to Cancun later this year, June or July. Is it

advisable
to rent a car or depend on local transportation? If I go, I would like

visit Mayan ruins. Any recommendations as to which to see?

If you are going from a cruise, I would do a cruise ship excursion so
you will be sure the ship won't leave without you. If you are staying in
Cancun I would rent a car so you can come and go as you please.

sue

Thanks. Not going from a cruise, that's why I posted OT. Didn't know if
renting a car in Mexico would be a smart thing to do...or not to do.

If we hadn't been part of a very large group, we would of rented a car
to see the ruins. As others have said, be sure you accept the insurance
and you should be fine.

sue
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air, rec.travel.cruises, rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
LeeNY

On Jan 25, 10:17 am, "Newby" wrote:
Might be traveling to Cancun later this year, June or July. Is it advisable
to rent a car or depend on local transportation? If I go, I would like to
visit Mayan ruins. Any recommendations as to which to see?

Thank you for any help.

I would rent a car...at least for the day(s) you'll want to venture
off on your own. You may not need one for your entire trip. We did
this once, when we were on a cruise. The port was Cozumel. We ferried
to Playa, rented a car there and drove ourselves to Tulum. The car was
a late model VW in excellent shape. And, once outside the city, it's a
straight shot, north/south road. On the way, we passed Xel Ha, which
is another place to visit. From Cancun, you could head south towards
Tulum, or over to Chichen Itza.

If you're staying at a resort, it will likely have a tour desk. You
can probably wait until you're there to make your decision. But, if
you're up for venturing off on your own, rather than touring with a
large group, then rent yourself a car. I believe we used National
Rental Car. I'd probably try to stick with a recognizable brand name
company...

Lee
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
Newby

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(Newby) wrote in
:

[snipped]

Oddly, you cross-posted your message everywhere but to the one group
where it would have been on-topic: rec.travel.latin-america.

[snipped]

I was not aware of the rec.travel.latin-america newsgroup. Thanks for the
info. and the tip.

Old January 25th, 2008, 10:58 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
Newby

Default Cancun

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Newby" wrote in
:

Might be traveling to Cancun later this year, June or July. Is it
advisable to rent a car or depend on local transportation? If I go, I
would like to visit Mayan ruins. Any recommendations as to which to
see?

Thank you for any help.

Mexico has greater liability issues, do (it is mandatory) take all the
insurance they will sell you. Driving isn't so bad but you don't wnat to
have trouble in Mexico. I would rent for the day and go to the ruins (it
is what I did) and not have a car most of the time. Beware free car
rental in Cancun it is all about (as are all freebies in Cancun) time
share.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com