Finger Lakes, New York state

Old May 11th, 2008, 09:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Finger Lakes, New York state

Hi

I am thinking of a trip to this part of New York state in late
October. I
am not expecting great weather but some crisp fall days would be
good,
however, I am worried I will be too late in the year for that.

Anyone know what I can expect?

thanks

Andrew

Old May 12th, 2008, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
k[_1_]

wrote in message
Hi

I am thinking of a trip to this part of New York state in late
October. I
am not expecting great weather but some crisp fall days would be
good,
however, I am worried I will be too late in the year for that.

Anyone know what I can expect?

thanks

Andrew

Late October will be hard to predict. You could encounter some lingering
warm weather, or less likely, but still a possibility, some snow. Also,
there may or may not be some fall foliage still around. Most of it will be
on the ground by that time.

The area is gorgeous, and clearly oriented toward summer activities, but you
should find plenty to do. The main towns to the north are Auburn, Seneca
Falls and Geneva. Auburn is actually a small city. All offer accomodation,
good restaurants, and sightseeing activity. Also on the north end of the
lakes is the village of Skaneateles (say Skinny Atlas, it's fun). At the
head of the lake, you'll find Kreb's Restaurant, right where it's been since
forever. Dining there isn't suit-and-tie formal, nor is it jeans and sneaks
casual - something in-between with get you in. There is an upstairs, with
the same menu, where the jeans and sneaks folks are welcomed.

My trips there are much less frequent these days, since our friends moved
south, but a great meal at Krebs is always on the agenda.

Aside from winery tours and visits to many museums both small and smaller, a
visit to the Montezuma wildlife reserve will reward you if you're a
photographer, or have an interest in migratory birds. Again, your timing
might be just a bit late, but that's something you can learn at the National
Parks website.

The draws at the south end of the lakes are the Watkins Glen Road Course.
Again, check on possible activity before making the trip. The other is the
town of Ithaca, home of Cornell University. It's a pretty little town laid
out on a NYC type grid that never grew. The Cornell campus is less than
typical Ivy League, given its more rural setting. Cornell has several
noteworthy museums: The Johnson Museum of Art, in a very striking IM Pei
building, has art from everywhere and every period on display.

There is also a Museum of Vertebrates, which is impressive in its scope, but
too many bones for me to contemplate.

There are many other museums there, and possibly the most unique is the
brain museum.

If you do head south to Ithaca, take a route through Moravia, which is a
historical little town on the way, and was the birthplace and home of a US
President: Millard Fillmore!

The area literally reeks with history, which you will notice when you find
that you are rarely out of view of another bronze placque, and there are
many signs along the road that let you know when a bronze placque is coming
up.

Enjoy!

Old May 12th, 2008, 10:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Sun, 11 May 2008 23:53:25 -0700, aspasia wrote:

How would they know, if you shut it off?

I have a feeling someone was being obnoxious.