Q: Where to vaccinate against rabbies in Washington DC

Old September 19th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Daniel Rolf

Default Q: Where to vaccinate against rabbies in Washington DC

Hi guys,

we're going to travel through north and central america. We're concerned
with rabbies
and finally decided to get some vaccination against rabbies. But, we don't
know how
this is achieved in the US, so maybe someone could post some details about
this
stuff, esp. where (doctor or tropical institute) to do that and what's the
costs in
the US for getting a vaccination.

Thanks
Daniel

--
dipl.-inf. cand.-phys. Daniel Rolf
finecode software / www.finecode.de

Old September 19th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Daniel Rolf" wrote in message
Hi guys,

we're going to travel through north and central america. We're concerned
with rabbies
and finally decided to get some vaccination against rabbies. But, we don't
know how
this is achieved in the US, so maybe someone could post some details about
this
stuff, esp. where (doctor or tropical institute) to do that and what's the
costs in
the US for getting a vaccination.

Thanks
Daniel

Why not get this done before you go ?

The course of treatment involves having 3 injections over the
period of a month.

Keith

Old September 19th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Daniel Rolf

--
"Keith Willshaw" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

"Daniel Rolf" wrote in message
Hi guys,

we're going to travel through north and central america. We're concerned
with rabbies
and finally decided to get some vaccination against rabbies. But, we

don't
know how
this is achieved in the US, so maybe someone could post some details

about
this
stuff, esp. where (doctor or tropical institute) to do that and what's

the
costs in
the US for getting a vaccination.

Thanks
Daniel

Why not get this done before you go ?

Because it's too late...

The course of treatment involves having 3 injections over the
period of a month.

Yes, I know. But, what about prices and where to get? In germany its about
50 euro and you can get it only at tropical travel insitutes.

Daniel

Keith

Old September 19th, 2003, 05:07 PM
JamesStep

we're going to travel through north and central america.
We're concerned with rabbies and finally decided to get
some vaccination against rabbies.

Are you speaking of vaccinations for yourself, or vaccinations
for your pets?

Human rabies is not a big concern for most travellers, but if
you want to get vaccinated anyway as a precaution, I'd recommend
doing it *before* your trip. You wouldn't want to spend valuable
vacation time sitting in a doctor's waiting room. Plus, some people
have negative reactions to the vaccination (headaches, nausea, etc)
and you wouldn't want a bad reaction to spoil your vacation.

If you're talking about vaccinating your pets, again you should
do that before you come. In fact, I believe that some countries
*require* that pets be vaccinated against rabies before they can
be brought in.

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old September 19th, 2003, 07:59 PM
TCS

Don't pet the squirals or sleep in any place that's rat infested and you
should be fine.

You're a thousand times (million?) more likely to die on the flight over
than from rabbies.
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:12 PM
fishman

"Daniel Rolf" wrote in message
Hi guys,

we're going to travel through north and central america. We're concerned
with rabbies
and finally decided to get some vaccination against rabbies. But, we don't
know how
this is achieved in the US, so maybe someone could post some details about
this
stuff, esp. where (doctor or tropical institute) to do that and what's the
costs in
the US for getting a vaccination.

Thanks
Daniel

--

I think the question is: why do you feel you need this? You don't need to
get a vaccine the way you do for measles or tetanus or polio - because

Chris

Old September 19th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Keith Willshaw

"fishman" wrote in message

I think the question is: why do you feel you need this? You don't need

get a vaccine the way you do for measles or tetanus or polio - because
rabies is not communicable except by a bite from a rabid mammal, which is
extremely rare; and after such a bite you have more than a week in which

seek medical treatment and start the vaccination process. I have never
heard of anyone getting a vaccination series just for travel.

Chris

If you are intending to some jungle trekking in Central America
the advice is to have the shots. The problem is that a lot of
animals there, including bats, carry rabies and there's a good chance
that at some point you will get bitten by something.

If your intention is just to visit the cities then the advice is
not to bother.

That said there's a raft of other jabs you REALLY need like
yellow fever, hepatitis etc

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/camerica.htm

Keith

Old September 19th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Dave Smith

Daniel Rolf wrote:

we're going to travel through north and central america. We're concerned
with rabbies
and finally decided to get some vaccination against rabbies. But, we don't
know how
this is achieved in the US, so maybe someone could post some details about
this
stuff, esp. where (doctor or tropical institute) to do that and what's the
costs in
the US for getting a vaccination.

There is no need for vaccination against rabies. It is routinely done with
dogs and cats around here because they might encounter a rabid animal that a
person would avoid.

Old September 19th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Me

In article ,
"Daniel Rolf" wrote:

Hi guys,

we're going to travel through north and central america. We're concerned
with rabbies
and finally decided to get some vaccination against rabbies. But, we don't
know how
this is achieved in the US, so maybe someone could post some details about
this
stuff, esp. where (doctor or tropical institute) to do that and what's the
costs in
the US for getting a vaccination.

Rabbies is not a communicable disease so why in the world would you be
concerned about it? If you get bitten by an animal during your trip,
then it makes sense to get a rabbies vaccination, but certainly not
otherwise. Any hospital emergency room in the states can vaccinate for
rabbies.
Old September 20th, 2003, 07:50 AM
DMW

Daniel Rolf wrote:

Hi guys,

we're going to travel through north and central america. We're concerned
with rabbies
and finally decided to get some vaccination against rabbies. But, we don't
know how
this is achieved in the US, so maybe someone could post some details about
this
stuff, esp. where (doctor or tropical institute) to do that and what's the
costs in
the US for getting a vaccination.

http://v-p-c.com/phil/osha/rabies2.htm mentions a cost of $100US per dose
of the rabies vaccine for humans. The series usually involves 3 doses, so
that would be a minimum of $300 per person, possibly more depending on a
particular institutions mark-ups and additional fees. A coworker here in
Canada inquired last week at her doctor's office and found out it would
cost her $600Cdn (a bit over $400US) for the series.

DMW