Visa reqts for US

Old September 19th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Sam

"kittykat" wrote in message
if You had a police caution held over for 1 year , not taken to court,

would
the same rules apply

marion

Yes, the Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act 1974 does not apply, as US is
outside UK jurisdiction

for us visa, must declare everything.

---

Old September 19th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Dave

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:26:11 +0100, "Stef"
wrote:

To be honest that was what I was going to do but as from October 26, you
have to be fingerprinted going in to the US and I'm afraid it will show up
then
(Email sent from laptop hence different id)

Loads of people travel to the US under the visa waiver scheme with
arrests/cautions/convictions. They may fingerprint you but are not
going to do a full search on the UK database - think about
logistics/costs involved. Just try not to seem guilty as you talk to
the immigration bloke at the airport - he'll look at your passport ask
you some questions and send you on your way - especially if you have
previous US stamps in the passport.

Old September 19th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Harry The Horse

kittykat wrote:
if You had a police caution held over for 1 year , not taken to
court, would the same rules apply

You must declare it even if the arrest resulted in no further action being
taken. For example, the the arrest were unlawful or a case of mistaken
identity. It stinks, I know, but remember this is from the country that
practises unlimited detention without trial and without evidence.

Old September 19th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Michael Ross

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 07:25:51 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

Surely this is an offence against Civil Liberties? If I'd been found
guilty then maybe I could have understood it but in these
circumstance this seems totally unfair, especially as I've previously
travelled to the US many times without problems.

That is the US requirement and always has been. AFAIK you have always had to
declare this so you may have problems explaining to the US Imigration
service why you did not do so before. You need to obtain a copy of your file
on the Police National Computer. You can get an application form at any
police station.

Suggest the OP reads the thread we had around a month ago:

http://tinyurl.com/4qv2d

Executive summary: The US Embassy London website clearly states you
need a visa if you have ever been arrested OR if you have a criminal
record.

The State Dept. website clearly states you only need a visa if you
have a criminal record.

I'd believe the State Dept. At worst, it's a perfectly good excuse.

The fingerprinting is a red herring; it's all about catching people
who are on the run *in the USA*, and making sure they do a better job
of keeping track of people entering the country than they did
pre-9/11. They don't run your prints past Scotland Yard!

Mike
http://www.corestore.org
For sale: Al Qaeda rifle. Never fired. Dropped once.
Old September 19th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Mike

In message , Harry The
Horse writes
kittykat wrote:
if You had a police caution held over for 1 year , not taken to
court, would the same rules apply

You must declare it even if the arrest resulted in no further action being
taken. For example, the the arrest were unlawful or a case of mistaken
identity.

What's the difference between an "unlawful arrest" and an "abduction".
Do kidnap victims have to declare that they've been (unlawfully)
"arrested"?

--
Mike

Old September 19th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Jonathan Bryce

sniper wrote:

Surely this is an offence against Civil Liberties? If I'd been found
guilty then maybe I could have understood it but in these circumstance
this seems totally unfair, especially as I've previously travelled to the
US many times without problems.

The US doesn't have a human rights act. It has one of the worst human
rights records of any country in the world today.