French share Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2005

Old October 5th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Earl Evleth

Default French share Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2005

For visitors to France Rueil-Malmaison is where the Chateau
where Josephine lived and a standard tourist site in
the Parisian region. It is also an upgrade suburb which
happens to house the French Petroleum research labs.

Earl

****

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2005

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2005 goes to Yves Chauvin ,Robert H. Grubbs
and Richard R. Schrock "for the development of the metathesis method in
organic synthesis".*»

Yves Chauvin
Institut Français du Pétrole
Rueil-Malmaison, France

Robert H. Grubbs
California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
Pasadena, CA, USA

Richard R. Schrock
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Cambridge, MA, USA

***

The French will be happy, they rarely get the prize. Caltech also, since
it has a lot of them. I don't know Chavin but know the French Petroleum
institute since I had some co-projects with people there on zeolites.

Metathesis is a reaction in which exchanges occur.

AB + CD -- AD + CB.

They are often catalytically driven and a number of petroleum chemistry
industrial reactions employ this technique. The fewer the side products
that happier the chemists or engineers who employ it. It is sort of like
mate-swamping,

John and Mary + Sam and Sally = John and Sally + Sam and Mary

(I used this analogy to make certain Grunge understands)

Old October 5th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Runge

Anyway you've only been to the upgrade suburbs
really, what are you doing in France ??!!??

Old October 9th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Donna Evleth

From: "Runge"
Newsgroups: rec.travel.europe
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 21:22:58 +0200
Subject: French share Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2005

Anyway you've only been to the upgrade suburbs
really, what are you doing in France ??!!??

Among other things, prison visiting.

Donna Evleth