Nizza

Old September 15th, 2003, 11:43 PM
devil

Default Nizza

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:54:07 +0200, Luca Logi wrote:

Barbara Vaughan wrote:

I had never heard of Nizza until I came to
Italy, and it took me a while to realize it was Nice.

From 1338 Nizza (aka as Nice) belonged to the Savoia family, and was
transferred to France only in 1860, in a complex politic and military
deal that leveraged the birth of the united Italy kingdom under the
Savoia - to the grief, for example, of the Italian hero Giuseppe
Garibaldi that was born there and considered giving it to the French as
little short of a treason.

And of course, the Nicois dialect sounds quite Italian to me...

BTW, Grimaldi sounds Italian to be too.

Old September 16th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Barbara Vaughan

Luca Logi wrote:

Barbara Vaughan wrote:

I had never heard of Nizza until I came to
Italy, and it took me a while to realize it was Nice.

From 1338 Nizza (aka as Nice) belonged to the Savoia family, and was
transferred to France only in 1860, in a complex politic and military
deal that leveraged the birth of the united Italy kingdom under the
Savoia - to the grief, for example, of the Italian hero Giuseppe
Garibaldi that was born there and considered giving it to the French as
little short of a treason.

Wasn't there a referendum in Nizza/Nice at that time, in which the
option of transfer to France won? (I seem to remember reading this but I
could be wrong, as my knowledge of Italian history is not yet up to
par!)

Barbara
Old September 16th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Luca Logi

Barbara Vaughan wrote:

Wasn't there a referendum in Nizza/Nice at that time, in which the
option of transfer to France won? (I seem to remember reading this but I
could be wrong, as my knowledge of Italian history is not yet up to
par!)

Exactly.
http://www.herodote.net/histoire03241.htm

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Old September 16th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Emilia

"tim" wrote in news:bk53jh$tbc$06$1
@news.t-online.com:

"Marco Andrey" wrote in message
"Nice" could create missunderstandings.

with what? a packet of biscuits!

with the adjective perhaps?

Nizza

Um, I wonder how many people haven't the faintest idea where it
is?

is clearer.

marco