Summit Photo Gallery

Old April 20th, 2009, 01:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff[_8_]

Default Summit Photo Gallery

Had a GREAT cruise! One of the best. Mostly due to the ports! 4 new
islands to me -- Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire and Aruba.

The highlights of the cruise were the ship itself (which actually, I
like better than the Solstice class, although, give me the Solstice's
gym, martini bar and buffet), exploring the unspoiled nature of
Dominica, and learning how to scuba dive in Bonaire, one of the great
dive sites of the world. Had a fun table at dinner and met lots of
folks on my 6 (count em!) shore excursions! The pictures are mostly of
the ports.... Not gonna write a full review, but if you're curious
about any of the shore excursions let me know.

http://gallery.mac.com/jeffcoud#1001...r=black&sel=13

Jeff
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Apr 19, 8:15*pm, Jeff wrote:
Had a GREAT cruise! *One of the best. *Mostly due to the ports! *4 new
islands to me -- Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire and Aruba.

The highlights of the cruise were the ship itself (which actually, I
like better than the Solstice class, although, give me the Solstice's
gym, martini bar and buffet), exploring the unspoiled nature of
Dominica, and learning how to scuba dive in Bonaire, one of the great
dive sites of the world. *Had a fun table at dinner and met lots of
folks on my 6 (count em!) shore excursions! *The pictures are mostly of
the ports.... *Not gonna write a full review, but if you're curious
about any of the shore excursions let me know.

http://gallery.mac.com/jeffcoud#1001...r=black&sel=13

Jeff

Very nice photos Jeff, although that underwater sculpture park is kind
of creepy. Thanks for sharing.

Lola in Hamilton
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Lingoss[_3_]

Very Nice!!!
I stay in Celebrity Constellation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJKnXxjvLW4

Lingoss
www.crocieristi.it

Old April 21st, 2009, 12:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Jeff wrote:
Had a GREAT cruise! One of the best. Mostly due to the ports! 4 new
islands to me -- Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire and Aruba.

The highlights of the cruise were the ship itself (which actually, I
like better than the Solstice class, although, give me the Solstice's
gym, martini bar and buffet), exploring the unspoiled nature of
Dominica, and learning how to scuba dive in Bonaire, one of the great
dive sites of the world. Had a fun table at dinner and met lots of
folks on my 6 (count em!) shore excursions! The pictures are mostly of
the ports.... Not gonna write a full review, but if you're curious
about any of the shore excursions let me know.

http://gallery.mac.com/jeffcoud#1001...r=black&sel=13

Wonderful pictures Jeff!! I loved all the underwater pictures, but the
ones of Dominica make me want to go there one of these days.

What is it that makes you like the Summit better then the Solstice? I
agree that the buffet and Martini Bar on the Solstice are fantastic.

sue
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

Hey, Jeff,

Gorgeous pix, as always. I am really jealous you dove! I tried to get
certified with my son last summer--to my shock, I just couldn't get
the hang of the breathin' thang.

Please tell me you ditched the low carb plan--you don't look like you
need to drop an ounce!

Okay, so of course, we want those port reports. You dove in
Bonaire...anything else about that stop worth mentioning? And tell all
about the unspoiled nature you discovered in Dominica, the Aruba stuff
you explored w/ hot tips from your friend and all the rest!

Glad you had a fun break and enjoyed the Summit.

Best,

Diana

Old April 21st, 2009, 04:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff[_8_]

Sue Mullen wrote:

Jeff wrote:
[...]

It just has that classic Celebrity layout...the dining room is aft with
big windows, as it should be, lol. There are more things surrounding
the atrium area which "work", I did not like that aft area on Solstice
where all the for pay restaurants are -- a huge dead zone in my book,
and the best views on the ship -- if you paid for it! Didn't like the
grass either, they definitely need that area for more deck chairs I
thought! That being said, the Solstice was otherwise gorgeous though!

Jeff
Old April 21st, 2009, 05:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff[_8_]

Sue Mullen wrote:

Jeff wrote:
[...]

One final thought -- also the Solstice's layout on those lower public
decks is much more Serenade of the Seas than Celebrity...I was struck by
the many similarities, starting with no aft elevator bank/stairs. Just
didn't feel like Solstice was a Celebrity ship in many ways.

Jeff

Old April 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff[_8_]

D Ball wrote:

Let's see, random comments here and there....

Hey, Jeff,

Gorgeous pix, as always. I am really jealous you dove! I tried to get
certified with my son last summer--to my shock, I just couldn't get
the hang of the breathin' thang.

I definitely had my issues starting out, including breathing. During
the shallow water exercises I was hyperventilating a bit, but at some
point realized "I have all the air in the tank I could ever want", so I
just relaxed and breathed in and out normally and took as big a breath
as I wanted, but most importantly didn't hold my breath, and then I was
fine! Had some problems regulating my buoyancy, but I think with some
practice I can get that right. Was hard to find the right balance
sometimes and sometimes started sinking or floating to the surface for
seemingly no reason!!

Please tell me you ditched the low carb plan--you don't look like you
need to drop an ounce!

Sadly I fell off the low carb wagon, lol... Our dinner service was
rather slow....so dipped into the bread which is always tough to resist.
The table would share desserts and pass them around so not so bad
there. And I had to have croissants in the morning with coffee!!
Couldn't resist I'm afraid!!

It's still my goal to be a fitness model by 50, lol... and think I have
a new diet program worked out. Get home from work and gym late and
often don't eat until 9 - 9:30....so I think in general I'm eating too
much at night, so am cutting that down to a small evening meal and more
protein earlier in the day and we'll see how that goes!

Okay, so of course, we want those port reports. You dove in
Bonaire...anything else about that stop worth mentioning? And tell all
about the unspoiled nature you discovered in Dominica, the Aruba stuff
you explored w/ hot tips from your friend and all the rest!

Literally didn't do anything else in Bonaire, although, there are a
number of excursions which go to Klein Bonaire, which is the uninhabited
island off the west coast of Bonaire. The picture in the gallery
doesn't do it justice but this is a beach/snorkel stop for a lot of
people, although I think there are few/no facilties of any sort on the
island, but the beach and water there (sailing by in the Summit) looked
very beautiful and I like that raw nature thing. Good snorkeling there
too apparently. There is reef between the 2 islands.

St. Maarten did the golden eagle catamaran, which was a choppy 1 hour
boat ride to a not very interesting little island to see not very good
snorkeling. Met some nice people on that trip though. It was the first
and only time I've ever tossed my cookies on a boat! Like I said,
rather choppy that day. Felt much better after I did actually, and....I
was rather hung over that morning! So that's probably it right?

Dominica seems to have endless waterfalls and hot springs to explore.
Had friends who did zip-lining which they described as a big
workout....lots of climbing and other things involved. I could easily
see staying in Dominica for a week exploring the mountains (u def need a
guide!) and snorkeling/diving. It is a very very impoverished place as
you can imagine but the people very very nice. Looking at the mountains
from the water, and all the mist from the rain forest, I could only
think of "Lost Horizon" or something like that.

Grenada, other than the underwater sculpture park and Grand Anse beach,
I didn't venture forth into town at all or the rest of the island,
although I would like to go back there and explore more. The buildings
around the main town (name is escaping me) looked pretty good. I think
there was a big hurricane a few years back and quite possibly they've
rebuilt new so things looked kind of spiffy I thought. Grand Anse beach
was nice and not very built up at all. Nice sand and clear water with
folks pulling their boats right up to the beach.

Aruba, of course, is very built up but generally liked it. Quite a bit
of high end shopping downtown (ok, I bought a pair of cufflinks which I
didn't need....) I went on the De Palm island snorkel tour, which
turned out to be not so good! It's also a barrier island which had
essentially been turned into a day resort kind of thing....several
protected coves for swimming. I buffet restaurant and of course a beach
bar and grill. Little did we know, but all food and drink was included
in our price....so I had a burger and several "Incredible Hulks", which
was this lurid green cocktail god only knows what was in it, lol.... But
I could easily have stayed there all day as a nice enough beach day.
They had a great water park thing for kids (and big kids) and the water
slide which was enclosed (aka, you slid down in the dark!) was the
bomb!! The snorkeling there was not safe though....I could not
recommend this as a snorkel stop. It was close to shore and fairly
shallow with waves breaking on it....managed to ram into some coral due
to a wave and got a bit cut up and black and blue. If they had allowed
you to go past the buoys into deeper water beyond where the waves were
breaking it might have been much better.

Jeff

Old April 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Jeff wrote:

St. Maarten did the golden eagle catamaran, which was a choppy 1 hour
boat ride to a not very interesting little island to see not very good
snorkeling. Met some nice people on that trip though. It was the first
and only time I've ever tossed my cookies on a boat! Like I said,
rather choppy that day. Felt much better after I did actually, and....I
was rather hung over that morning! So that's probably it right?

We have done the Golden Eagle a couple of times in SM. The ride out
is ALWAYS choppy... except when it is really rough. Pretty much the same
experience on any of the cats we have done there both from the ride and
the so-so snorkeling. However, the parties tend to be fun and that is at
least as important.!!!

--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

--PJ O'Rourke