Sign of the times: Celebrity pulls cruise ship from Europe for 2010

Old May 7th, 2009, 05:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default Sign of the times: Celebrity pulls cruise ship from Europe for 2010

"Bill" wrote in message
On 5/5/2009 6:13 AM, Charles wrote:
I found this to be interesting. Celebrity has pulled the Solstice from
Europe in 2010 for the Caribbean.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=66379025.blog

So I had not read the article until today but was surprised that the big
change here is that the 12 night Barcelona-Venice route has been canceled
for 2010. The shorter cruise (and much less interesting itinerary, IMHO)
that Solstice was supposed to do will now be handled by Equinox (which was
going to take over the 12 night Mediterranean cruise that Summit is doing
this year, with Summit going to NJ). Makes you wonder why they didn't just
move Equinox to the Caribbean and not mess with Solstice (they're going to
be identical, no?). That way they would not have had to contact their
Solstice customers who are being moved to a different ship.

Bill

I think Equinox is supposed to stay in Europe year round. Maybe they've
even registered the ship differently since it's only supposed to be in
Europe.

--Tom

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On May 6, 11:09*pm, (Gadget World) wrote:
Why lose on 2 trans-atlantics and gamble on the spring and fall Europe,
wen you can bet on a sure thing in the Caribbean?

Because Europe is far more interesting with the ability to take many
cruises without repeating a single port.

Warren

Old May 7th, 2009, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On May 7, 11:18*am, Warren wrote:
On May 6, 11:09*pm, (Gadget World) wrote:

Why lose on 2 trans-atlantics and gamble on the spring and fall Europe,
wen you can bet on a sure thing in the Caribbean?

Because Europe is far more interesting with the ability to take many
cruises without repeating a single port.

Warren

EXACTLY
I would be a happy man if I never saw Charlotte Amelie again, but I
always hope to revisit Paris.
Hate beaches. Don't have any hair to braid. Don't need any Tanzinite.
Hate humid heat. If ships didn't sail there, I'd never visit the
Caribbean again. (...and if given the choice between 2 Caribbean
cruises and a shorter trip to Europe - I'll skip the Carib.)

Proving once again why there are different cruise itineraries and
experiences.

Mark
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article
,
Warren wrote:

Because Europe is far more interesting with the ability to take many
cruises without repeating a single port.

But to me taking a cruise to Europe means missing a lot of what is
interesting in Europe.

I like cruises to the Caribbean to relax. And I am a beach person. I
love laying on a beautiful beach and going into the warm clear water in
the Caribbean.

--
Charles
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article
, SF
wrote:

I would be a happy man if I never saw Charlotte Amelie again, but I
always hope to revisit Paris.

I would be happy to go to St. Thomas right now and veg on the beautiful
beaches. I am happy to go to Paris too but I don't see the point in
going to Paris on a cruise itinerary. I want to lodge in Paris when
visiting there and dine in Paris.

--
Charles
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On May 7, 7:23*pm, Charles wrote:

But to me taking a cruise to Europe means missing a lot of what is
interesting in Europe.

That's why I mix it up. Sometimes I do a land trip and sometimes a
cruise is more suited to Europe such as my upcoming trip on Solstice
to Greece.

Warren
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On May 7, 4:28*pm, Charles wrote:
In article
, SF

wrote:
I would be a happy man if I never saw Charlotte Amelie again, but I
always hope to revisit Paris.

I would be happy to go to St. Thomas right now and veg on the beautiful
beaches. I am happy to go to Paris too but I don't see the point in
going to Paris on a cruise itinerary. I want to lodge in Paris when
visiting there and dine in Paris.

--
Charles

Combine a visit to Paris with a Eurostar transit to London (or Le
Havre) and a crossing back to NY and you've got a great vacation

Mark
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Mark (SF)" wrote in message
On May 7, 4:28 pm, Charles wrote:
In article
, SF

wrote:
I would be a happy man if I never saw Charlotte Amelie again, but I
always hope to revisit Paris.

I would be happy to go to St. Thomas right now and veg on the beautiful
beaches. I am happy to go to Paris too but I don't see the point in
going to Paris on a cruise itinerary. I want to lodge in Paris when
visiting there and dine in Paris.

--
Charles

Combine a visit to Paris with a Eurostar transit to London (or Le
Havre) and a crossing back to NY and you've got a great vacation

Mark

However, you'd remember more of it if they didn't have that single malt
Scotch tasting....

--Tom

Old May 8th, 2009, 01:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On May 7, 11:41*pm, "Mark (SF)" wrote:

Combine a visit to Paris with a Eurostar transit to London (or Le
Havre) and a crossing back to NY and you've got a great vacation

That's exactly an option I'm looking at for next summer, with a little
Cote d'Azure thrown in!

Warren