emigrating to canada

Old January 31st, 2004, 10:35 AM
Su

Default emigrating to canada

my family and i would like to emigrate to canada and are currently in
the process of completing all the necessary forms etc. we are aware
of gst and provincial taxes but can anyone tell me whether real estate
carries any added tax to the price it is advertised at. For expamle
if a property is up for sale at $300,000 is there a tax to be added?

Can anyone recommend where abouts in Canada is the best place for a
family to emigrate to? I quite fancy Edmonton or Calgary, but are
there enough education and work prospects for the kids there?

any tips would be gratefully received.

thanx

suzie b
Old January 31st, 2004, 03:16 PM
Smiley

Good day

It would be nice to know what kind of employment you where looking for
when you arrive.
My best advice is come for a visit first but if this is not in budget

Check the newspapers there are lots on line, job market etc.

Edmonton or Calgary are good for computer and oil industry jobs but cold
in winter.
Remember Canada is a 5 day drive across most of the people are in Ontario.
Job oportunities vary from area to area not to say finding one will be easy.
Homes are relative at this time markets are stable which means I think
for the next few years if you buy wisely you will not lose on buying one
but shop around. I like older homes more bang for the dollar. Most
cities have there own web site so you can look at look at tax water
hydro rates etc.
There are many differences from Britain. In Ontario you will find after
90 days you lose your drivers license and get a two year limited one
with three tests. Your car insurance is high because you will be rated
as a new driver regardless of years of driving.

Hope this helps

--
Please note: To avoid spam, all email to my Hotmail address (above) is automatically trashed. If you wish to send me an email, kindly say so in a post, before attempting to send the mail. I will notify you by a private email to which we can respond to.

Old January 31st, 2004, 07:42 PM
mick b

Smiley wrote in message ...
Good day

To Smiley

many thanx! We intend to holiday in Canada next year. our respective
trades are home improvements and bookkeeping/personal tax advice how
do you think we would do in Alberta?

If you like, post us your private email address for further
discussion.

Suzie and Mick b

Old February 1st, 2004, 12:19 AM
DMW

Su wrote:

my family and i would like to emigrate to canada and are currently in
the process of completing all the necessary forms etc. we are aware
of gst and provincial taxes but can anyone tell me whether real estate
carries any added tax to the price it is advertised at. For expamle
if a property is up for sale at $300,000 is there a tax to be added?

From what I recall of my house hunting days a few years ago, if the house
is brand new, there's probably tax on top of it. If it's a pre-owned
house, no tax (the original owners paid the tax when they bought it).

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/bureho...bustst_003.cfm
discusses new houses and GST. Evidentally there is a 2.5% rebate if the
house isn't over $450000. The site goes into a lot of details regarding
buying a home in Canada.

DMW
Old February 1st, 2004, 06:01 AM
Mark Brader

Suzie Bramley:
my family and i would like to emigrate to canada and are currently
in the process of completing all the necessary forms etc. we are
aware of gst and provincial taxes but can anyone tell me whether
real estate carries any added tax to the price it is advertised at...

D.M.W.:
From what I recall of my house hunting days a few years ago, if the house
is brand new, there's probably tax on top of it. If it's a pre-owned
house, no tax (the original owners paid the tax when they bought it).

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/bureho...bustst_003.cfm

(For your future reference, .gc.ca makes it a federal government web site.)

discusses new houses and GST. Evidentally there is a 2.5% rebate if the
house isn't over $450000. The site goes into a lot of details regarding
buying a home in Canada.

Note in particular that there may be additional provincial taxes.
When I bought a house in Ontario in 1983 I think there was land
transfer tax, but the amount was trivial. The web site, however,
refers to land transfer taxes as high as 4%. You'll need to obtain
information specific to the province or provinces where you might
be living.
--
Mark Brader First, the next time you buy a house, get one that
costs exactly $100,000. It makes the math easier.

Old February 1st, 2004, 04:10 PM
Allan Meltzer

A good place to start is to go to Moving To magazine. They have a
website at: http://www.movingto.com/

Allan

Old February 1st, 2004, 07:40 PM
iaink

Originally posted by Su
my family and i would like to

emigrate to canada and are currently in
the process of completing all

the necessary forms etc. we are aware
of gst and provincial taxes but

can anyone tell me whether real estate
carries any added tax to the

price it is advertised at. For expamle
if a property is up for sale

at $300,000 is there a tax to be added?

Can anyone recommend where

abouts in Canada is the best place for a
family to emigrate to? I

quite fancy Edmonton or Calgary, but are
there enough education and

work prospects for the kids there?

any tips would be gratefully

received.

thanx

suzie b

Lots of info in the
misc.immigration.canada group

A lot if interesting discussion also in
the canadian lifestyle forum at britishexpats.com

]http://britishe-
xpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=56[/url]

What class are you
applying under?

As far as where to go in Canada, the place is huge, and
very diverse. Edmonton and Calgary have the Rockies on the doorstep,
but have a harsh winter (especially Edmonton) Regional politics there
is pretty rightwing by Canadian standards. I read a lot about
dissatisfied immigrants heading home from alberta after a couple of
years due to the closed nature of the work market. For a proffesional
coming to canada this is true nearly everywhere. Employers are looking
for the dreaded "canadian experience" and often canadian qualifications.
Skilled craftmen, electricians, carpenters, plumbers etc seem to be in
demand everywhere though.

I live in Ontario, in a rural area 2h East
of Toronto, and I love it here, nice little community, lakes and rivers,
rolling hills, but it would not suit everybody as it is quiet. It also
has the advantage that it is fairly cheap.

As others have replied,
tax is only payable on new houses, although there are some closing costs
to register the deal, these are usually not too great. My closing costs
were less than 1% of the house value.

Good Luck

Iain