North Caicos

Old July 22nd, 2005, 02:47 AM
ceniza

Default North Caicos

Has anyone been to North Caicos? Just wondering how were the beaches and
were there interesting sites. Thanks.

Old July 23rd, 2005, 04:49 AM
Chip

Just about a deserted island. Sounds like a different kind of fun.
Supposed to have some big caves and nice beaches on the north shore,
but just no one around!

Good luck, I'll be in Provo August for the opening of LOBSTER season!

CB

Old July 23rd, 2005, 06:25 PM
Chip

I'll be basking in the sun on Grace bay staying at the seemingly
desserted Treasure Beach Villas 7/30 thru 8/16.

Chip

Old July 24th, 2005, 11:53 PM
ceniza

Maybe I will see you as I arrive the 16th.

oups.com...

Old August 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Mike Ramsey

Chip wrote:
Just about a deserted island. Sounds like a different kind of fun.
Supposed to have some big caves and nice beaches on the north shore,
but just no one around!

Good luck, I'll be in Provo August for the opening of LOBSTER season!

CB

Middle Caicos is our favorite island and we just got back from another 2 weeks of working on our house there (a years long construction project - a whole other story).

Middle is the island known for caves although North may have some as well. Beaches are on the north coast of both Middle and North. The ones on Middle are usually completely deserted.

We've often taken the ferry from Middle to North on Saturdays to do some grocery resupplying.

On North, visit Three Mary's Cays, Wade's Green Plantation, see the flamingo pond (not a close approach, but you might see thousands).

Mike Ramsey
Old August 9th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 18:12:39 GMT, Mike Ramsey wrote:

Middle Caicos is our favorite island and we just got back from another 2 weeks of working on our house there (a years long construction project - a whole other story).

What was the problem, we are interested in building there, Mike?

--
"I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow..." -Zappa
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Mike Ramsey

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 18:12:39 GMT, Mike Ramsey wrote:

Middle Caicos is our favorite island and we just got back from another 2 weeks of working on our house there (a years long construction project - a whole other story).

What was the problem, we are interested in building there, Mike?

No one problem, it's just that everything is a challenge. Consider that the population is only about 260, the only locally available resource is sand, everything else has to be shipped in from Provo...

We broke ground 3 years ago and began the cistern 2 years ago. Last week, we spend our first 4 nights in a ground floor apartment. It was a little like camping but I'm very pleased with the work I've been able to do during about 3 months on the island (spread over those last 2 years).

I have some photos of the construction on my website (http://caicosdream.com) but need to update with the last year or so of work.

Mike
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 23:00:52 GMT, Mike Ramsey wrote:

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
[...]

I have several questions if you don't mind.

What are the cost of materials relative to the US, what has to be flown in
special from the US, why is the cistern so large (or is it) and was it the
cost of land that kept you from beachfront?
--
"I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow..." -Zappa
Old August 11th, 2005, 02:02 AM
Mike Ramsey

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:

I have several questions if you don't mind.

What are the cost of materials relative to the US, what has to be flown in
special from the US, why is the cistern so large (or is it) and was it the
cost of land that kept you from beachfront?

Rule of thumb is that everything costs about 1.5 to 2x US costs. Shipping and duty are most of the difference. Most things are available on Provo but selection may be limited. I've shipped quite a few things myself because I can shop around and not have to spend time looking on Provo. I usually carry suitcases full of plumbing or electrical parts - I've even carried a ceiling fan and an instant water heater in my luggage. Last summer, I bought a scooter on Ebay, built a crate for it and added lots of things I needed - a ladder, garden cart, water pump, breaker box, etc.

Building code requires 10 gallons of cistern per sq ft of roof area. 20000 gallons is larger than required for my house but you can't really have too much water storage. This last year there wasn't much rain for 8 months.

Yeah, I don't have a beachfront budget.

Mike