Alumni cruise to the baltic - good idea?

Old December 12th, 2005, 06:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Alumni cruise to the baltic - good idea?

My wife and I are contemplating an alumni cruise with the Georgia Tech
Alumni Association. The ship is the M.S. Le Diamant. The cruise is to
the Baltic (St Petersburg, Talinn, Vilnius, Gdansk, Copenhagen,
fjords/Bergen, etc.). The Diamant is a small ship (~200 passengers).
Does anyone have any experience with the GT Alumni travel or with the
ship? Any comments or advice?

TIA
Don Brabston

Old December 12th, 2005, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Don Brabston wrote in
news
My wife and I are contemplating an alumni cruise with the Georgia Tech
Alumni Association. The ship is the M.S. Le Diamant. The cruise is to
the Baltic (St Petersburg, Talinn, Vilnius, Gdansk, Copenhagen,
fjords/Bergen, etc.). The Diamant is a small ship (~200 passengers).
Does anyone have any experience with the GT Alumni travel or with the
ship? Any comments or advice?

TIA
Don Brabston

the Ship is the former Song of Flower recently of Radisson livery and
before that its own line IIRC. Song of Flower had a great rep for luxury
though I suspect that some of the amenities have suffered over the
years.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old December 16th, 2005, 10:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

don see if this will help you any, its about a year old but give it a
try. http://smithsonianjourneys.org/deckplans/le_diamant.htm or try
smithsonianjourneys.org

Old January 23rd, 2006, 05:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:17:00 -0800, Don Brabston
wrote:

My wife and I are contemplating an alumni cruise with the Georgia Tech
Alumni Association. The ship is the M.S. Le Diamant. The cruise is to
the Baltic (St Petersburg, Talinn, Vilnius, Gdansk, Copenhagen,
fjords/Bergen, etc.). The Diamant is a small ship (~200 passengers).
Does anyone have any experience with the GT Alumni travel or with the
ship? Any comments or advice?

I wrote an extensive web site about our Baltics cruise - not exactly
the same as your, and a different ship - but many of the facts and
places will be similar.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~boblorel/

hope it's useful,

Bob T.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote:

My wife and I are contemplating an alumni cruise with the Georgia Tech
Alumni Association. The ship is the M.S. Le Diamant. The cruise is to
the Baltic (St Petersburg, Talinn, Vilnius, Gdansk, Copenhagen,
fjords/Bergen, etc.). The Diamant is a small ship (~200 passengers).
Does anyone have any experience with the GT Alumni travel or with the
ship? Any comments or advice?

I wrote an extensive web site about our Baltics cruise - not exactly
the same as your, and a different ship - but many of the facts and
places will be similar.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~boblorel/

hope it's useful,

Bob T.

We get those notices all the time -- it seems that alumni cruises are at
least rack rate.

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

it seems that alumni cruises are at least rack rate.

Some may even be a bump above that since the alumni association doesn't do
this just because they want to get a bunch of buddies together out of the
goodness of their heart. Markups on alumni cruises above not only the group
rate but sometimes the brochure rate are a SERIOUSLY big revenue source for
the association.

Oh, and one other thought -

If you didn't like them in college, for sure you aren't going to want to
stuck on a 200 passenger ship for a week or more. )

Charlie

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news