TRAVEL USA. L.A., Yosemite, Colorado

Old September 5th, 2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Paco

Default TRAVEL USA. L.A., Yosemite, Colorado

What do you think about this travel?

- Los Angeles
- Monterey
- San Francisco
- Yosemite
- Fresno
- Las Vegas
- National Parcks Zion, Bryce Canyon, Kanag.
- Lake Powell.
- Cañon del Colorado
- Flagstaff
- Phoenix/Scottsdale

Any advice,

Thanks

Old September 5th, 2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

"Paco" wrote in message
What do you think about this travel?

- Los Angeles
- Monterey

Monterey is less interesting that you may have been led to
believe. It makes a good stopever place but nothing more.

- San Francisco
- Yosemite
- Fresno

Fresno is of Zero Interest. A more interesting route to Vegas
is via Mono Lake

- Las Vegas
- National Parcks Zion, Bryce Canyon, Kanag.

Kanab?

- Lake Powell.
- Cañon del Colorado

Grand Canyon?

- Flagstaff
- Phoenix/Scottsdale

Are you flying back from here or driving back to LA?

Anyway it all looks good provided that you have enough time.

4 weeks perhaps?

tim

Old September 6th, 2007, 12:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

Paco wrote:
What do you think about this travel?

- Los Angeles
- Monterey
- San Francisco

The "Don't-miss SIGHTS in San Francisco" page
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/Sights.html has enough to
keep you busy for nine 12.7-hour days. It includes links to your best
sources of advice on WHERE TO EAT and, according to the Department of
Health, WHERE TO NOT EAT here, the UseNet Group ba.food, and the
quite-good sfSurvey/Tastyr and the comprehensive Yelp. It also has a
WEATHER CHART with a link to current conditions.

- Yosemite

Driving Directions with links to relevant maps and URLs of places
passed through: San Francisco to Pacifica-Half Moon Bay-Santa
Cruz-Monterey/Carmel, Big Sur, San LuÃ*s Obispo, Yosemite, Death
Valley, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and San Diego
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/DriveDir.html

- Fresno
- Las Vegas

Here's "A bit of non-gambling Las Vegas" with about a dozen useful
links: http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/LasVegas.html

My favorite hap'nin's the The Huck Daniel Revue and Blues Jam in
the Stratosphere's Images Lounge, Mondays at 22:00. It's a blast
that's been happening since 1988, at the Stratosphere since 2001.
Huck Daniel's Celebrity Jam in the Armadillo Club at Texas Station,
Saturdays at 21:00. Good floor, few dancers.

A terrific 17-piece band plays at the Italian-American Social Club,
on Sahara just past Eastern, Thursdays at 20:30. Nice floor; take a
partner!

The Classic Jazz Band (née the Royal Dixie Jazz Band), an excellent
sextette, plays Monday-Friday at the Gold Coast from 13:00-18:40. On
Wednesdays and Fridays, additional dance space is provided.

You may read a color-coded-to-interests report on our 2007 trip to
Las Vegas via Yosemite and Death Valley at
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/RoadJJ07.html If your interest
is limited to point-to-point distances, times, and speeds:
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles...J07.html#Stats

- National Parcks Zion, Bryce Canyon, Kanag.
- Lake Powell.
- Cañon del Colorado
- Flagstaff
- Phoenix/Scottsdale

It's a great trip!

You need at least thirty-sex days to do it properly.

tim..... wrote:
Monterey is less interesting that you may have been led to
believe. It makes a good stopever place but nothing more.

Monterey is lovely and oozes with historic and architectural
interest. It also has what's probably the best aquarium on Earth.

Fresno is of Zero Interest.

The Forestiere Underground Gardens is fascinating.

A more interesting route to Vegas is via Mono Lake

Only if the Tioga Pass is open.

Old September 6th, 2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Monterey is lovely and oozes with historic and architectural
interest. It also has what's probably the best aquarium on Earth.

I fealt utterly ripped off upon leaving that aquarium.....in
retrospect it does an excellent job of showing the local underwater
scene, but doesnt do a good job of much more....

on the other hand, the Aquarium in Camden, NJ, holy smokes is that
place amazing....imho, anydiscussion fo best aquarium has to start
with camden....

of course, you may get shot, pimped, or assaulted by offers to buy
drugs going to camden, but if you are in philly, you can safely take
the ferry across......

Chuck

Old September 6th, 2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

Default Monterey and/or aquariums. was: TRAVEL USA. L.A., Yosemite, Colorado

Monterey is lovely and oozes with historic and architectural
interest. It also has what's probably the best aquarium on Earth.

In article . com,
Chuck wrote:
I felt utterly ripped off upon leaving that aquarium.....in
retrospect it does an excellent job of showing the local underwater
scene, but doesnt do a good job of much more....

Well it's a sort of gift/employment for David Packard's daugther.
It links the film Star Trek IV to people's memories. Personally I think
the price is a bit steep, but Monterey isn't cheap

Architects are overrated.

on the other hand, the Aquarium in Camden, NJ, holy smokes is that
place amazing....imho, any discussion for best aquarium has to start
with camden....

of course, you may get shot, pimped, or assaulted by offers to buy
drugs going to camden, but if you are in philly, you can safely take
the ferry across......

OK, I'll bite. I've not been there. What makes Camden's so good?
What makes for a good aquarium (any)?

I'm trying to think what I have for a basis for comparison (nothing
great). I grew up near Marineland, the Bridges family lived up the
coast in Malibu, did also visit the sorry aquarium at Pier 39, SF GG
Park has an OK small one, Sea World(s) have their nicities. Others in
Seward, Hawaii (also took the sub tour), Lisbon, and various descendents
of Flipper in the Keys. And I don't try to go out of my way to visit
aquariums. They seem to be mostly for the kids and land lubbers.
I have to visit Seattle's soon. I'm trying to remember if I really saw
an aquarium in Iceland on Haemay.

Old September 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

Chuck wrote:
[...]

Actually I kind of liked Baltimore's aquarium. They have a long ramp that
descends between multistory high fishtanks. Makes you feel like you're in
the ocean.

Marianne

Old September 7th, 2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
y_p_w

On Sep 6, 8:49 am, "
wrote:
Monterey is lovely and oozes with historic and architectural
interest. It also has what's probably the best aquarium on Earth.

I fealt utterly ripped off upon leaving that aquarium.....in
retrospect it does an excellent job of showing the local underwater
scene, but doesnt do a good job of much more....

That's the idea. They have one of the largest tanks in the world, and
right now they have their third great white shark. Find any other
aquarium in the world that can keep one alive for more than four
weeks. They were also the first aquarium I know of to have successful
jellyfish tanks. At this time, they have several exhibits of
freshwater otters from around the world.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium inspired the construction of the Aquarium of
the Pacific in Long Beach as well as the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta.

A trip to Monterey is far more than the city, which is small and
limited. A complete trip would include the 17 Mile Drive in Pebble
Beach and Carmel By The Sea.

on the other hand, the Aquarium in Camden, NJ, holy smokes is that
place amazing....imho, anydiscussion fo best aquarium has to start
with camden....

of course, you may get shot, pimped, or assaulted by offers to buy
drugs going to camden, but if you are in philly, you can safely take
the ferry across......

Camden? Yeah.