Completely flexible travel!

Old June 17th, 2010, 02:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
GV

Default Completely flexible travel!

Is there any web site or other resource that would allow me to find the
least expensive air travel in the US regardless of date? IOW, I'm
completely flexible as to dates and I'd like to find the least expensive
fares to a destination. All of the major sites that I use ask for a date
(or at least a narrow range of dates before they search fares! I'm a
retired "senior citizen" (translate that to "dirty old man" if you want)
who has a lot of free time but not a whole lot of money who likes to travel.

TIA!

Old June 17th, 2010, 10:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim....

"GV" wrote in message
Is there any web site or other resource that would allow me to find the
least expensive air travel in the US regardless of date? IOW, I'm
completely flexible as to dates and I'd like to find the least expensive
fares to a destination. All of the major sites that I use ask for a date
(or at least a narrow range of dates before they search fares! I'm a
retired "senior citizen" (translate that to "dirty old man" if you want)
who has a lot of free time but not a whole lot of money who likes to
travel.

you can try

http://www.skyscanner.net/

It works well for Europe, I've no idea if it works for intra US flights,.

tim

Old June 17th, 2010, 09:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

GV wrote:
Is there any web site or other resource that would allow me to find the
least expensive air travel in the US regardless of date?

I'm not sure for domestic travel.

For travel to points outside the USA the best thing to do is find a
travel agent who specializes in the part of the world to where you want
to travel. They tend to know when and where the deals are, and a good
one can get you fares better than what you can find on any website.

I was in a similar situation recently - wanted to fly my family of four
from Vancouver to Hungary for four weeks this summer, and was flexible
on the dates, but did not want to spend more then $5,000. All the dates
I was punching into various websites were returning fares of about
$7,000 for all of us. I went to a local bricks and mortar agent who
specializes in central Europe, and she knew exactly what dates and
airlines to pick. She got me a fare of $4,500. There's no way I could
have found that fare on my own; even punching the exact same route
and dates into the airline's own online reservation system was returning
a much higher fare.

Many people think that travel agents are an anachronism in the internet
age, but savvy travelers know when to use them.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:33 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Allie[_3_]

Spirit Air, Air Tran, and Southwestern are all airlines that tend to
have discount fairs. Keep an eye out for online specials.

--
Allie
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"GV" wrote in message
Is there any web site or other resource that would allow me to find the
least expensive air travel in the US regardless of date? IOW, I'm
completely flexible as to dates and I'd like to find the least expensive
fares to a destination. All of the major sites that I use ask for a
date (or at least a narrow range of dates before they search fares! I'm
a retired "senior citizen" (translate that to "dirty old man" if you
want) who has a lot of free time but not a whole lot of money who likes
to travel.

If you have a Yahoo account, they have a feature linked to Best Fares.
http://my.yahoo.com/
Edit your " My Yahoo" info, and for your homepage choose Best Fare Tracker
and you can enter :
Your departure city and your destination.
I have it check fares FROM my hometown TO .. about 10 locations.
I have others that check NEARBY departure spots. So I log into Yahoo and on
" My Yahoo" homepage I can see the lowest price to 5 , 10 ... destinations
in an instant.
Las Vegas, NV $224.99
Orlando, FL $194.99
Miami, FL $204.99
Portland, OR $354.99
Reno, NV $292.99
Fort Myers, FL $194.99
Tampa, FL $180.99
etc
When you click on the specific fare, you see details ( travel between July
3 - Aug 1 etc)

Otherwise, if you GO to the airline website and when it asks for "date" you
can click the calendar to BROWSE. AA you can enter a date and it will look
5 days either side.
Southwest where it prompts for date, you can click the 'little calendar'
next to that field and it will show month calendar with cheapest price.

Old June 30th, 2010, 02:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
GV

Thanks for all the replies. I'll check them all out. I do have a
Travelocity account and I get alerts from them and I do check various
airline sites regularly.

I guess what I really miss is the old days when a travel agent would call
you up and say something like "I know that you like (name a destination) and
I've heard there's a deal for next (name a date). Would you like to book
something?" I guess that I'm just very lazy! B-(

Gary
Visit our website and do the jigsaw puzzle at
www.under-1-roof.com/PuzzlePage.html