drawbridge over the Saint Lawrence seaway ?

Old April 26th, 2004, 05:52 PM
ZZZZZ

Default drawbridge over the Saint Lawrence seaway ?

Am coming from Rhode Island
Would anyone know of any drawbridges over the Saint lawrence seaway ?
Am planning trip to Maxville and a relative of mine who would like
to go but is scared of heights especially those high suspension
bridges. Any ideas ?
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Anastasia

Try this....

http://www.catsfastferry.com/

Old April 28th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Mark Brader

Am coming from Rhode Island
Would anyone know of any drawbridges over the Saint lawrence seaway ?
Am planning trip to Maxville ...

This is Maxville, Ontario, a village near Cornwall?

and a relative of mine who would like to go but is scared of heights
especially those high suspension bridges.

Nasty things, phobias.

All three crossings over the St. Lawrence into Ontario involve suspension
bridges. The Niagara River crossings are not, and the one at Buffalo
(the Peace Bridge) is relatively low; but traveling via Buffalo would
add many hours to the trip. The shortest route around the end of Lake
Ontario, the QEW, also involves high bridges over shipping channels at
St. Catharines and Hamilton, although these are not suspension bridges
and you can avoid them by taking a longer, slower route. On top of that
you'd also need to cross the Hudson River valley, or perhaps run around
the end of it to the north; if you take I-90 it's a high bridge but not
a suspension bridge.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the Montreal area than me can say
whether it's possible to cross the St. Lawrence there without using a
high bridge; I see from the map that one channel of the river has a
tunnel under it, but I don't know which or how many channels are used
by big ships that require high clearances. If this is possible it would
probably be your only choice by road.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and

Old April 28th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Mark Brader

I (Mark Brader) wrote:
All three crossings over the St. Lawrence into Ontario involve suspension
bridges. The Niagara River crossings are not, and the one at Buffalo
(the Peace Bridge) is relatively low; but traveling via Buffalo would
add many hours to the trip. The shortest route around the end of Lake
Ontario, the QEW, also involves high bridges over shipping channels at
St. Catharines and Hamilton, although these are not suspension bridges
and you can avoid them by taking a longer, slower route. On top of that
you'd also need to cross the Hudson River valley, or perhaps run around
the end of it to the north; if you take I-90 it's a high bridge but not
a suspension bridge.

Oops, on that last one I was thinking of the Thruway's Berkshire Spur,
which quite a few years ago used to also be I-90. I may have been right
by accident, or not; I don't know how I-90 itself crosses the Hudson.
Not that the original poster is likely to go that way anyway, for the
reasons stated.
--
Mark Brader | "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
Toronto | "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have

Old April 29th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Anastasia

I know the Cornwall area very well. Including Maxville. I grew up just west
of Montreal and have spent alot of time in that area of Ontario/Quebec. I
also family living in Williamstown and go there quite often.

The reason I suggested the ferry to Toronto is that other than that...the
only crossings I can think of anywhere even close to that part of Ontario(
Ontario/Quebec) are are all suspension bridges. Toronto is approximately a
4 hour drive from Cornwall and about 4.5 to Maxville. So if I was driving
and didn't want to cross a bridge....I'd take that ferry and head east along
the TCan towards Cornwall.