Where to go in Montreal, Ottawa, Kingston and Huntsville?

Old May 19th, 2004, 05:50 PM
simoncmg

Default Where to go in Montreal, Ottawa, Kingston and Huntsville?

I am travelling from the UK to Montreal at the beginning of July and
would like some inside information on where to go and what to see. I
am spending four days in Montreal then driving to Ottawa, spending
four days there, then going for two days in huntsville then two days
in kingston, before travelling back to Montreal to fly home.

I would like info on where to go and what to while I am there, plus
which bars and restaurants to go to or any advice you think might help
during my visit.

I will try the usual tourist sites, but I find that there isn't a
better place to get ideas from than people who live or have been there
before.

Thanks in advance

Simon (Liverpool, UK)
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Michel Talbot

simoncmg a écrit:

I would like info on where to go and what to while I am there, plus
which bars and restaurants to go to or any advice you think might help
during my visit.

In Montreal, Mont-Royal St. has a lot of interesting restaurants and
some nice bars.

--
Michel Talbot
Montreal

Formula One Photo Database: http://www.F1Pics.net

Old May 19th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Richard

"simoncmg" wrote in message
om...

I am travelling from the UK to Montreal at the beginning of
July and would like some inside information on where to go
and what to see. I am spending four days in Montreal then
driving to Ottawa, spending four days there, then going for
two days in huntsville then two days in kingston, before
travelling back to Montreal to fly home.

Can you be more specific than "the beginning of July" ?

If you'll be in Canada by the first of the month, I'd suggest starting in
Ottawa rather than Montreal. July 1 (aka Canada Day) is the day Canada
celebrates its independance from England and the biggest celebrations (live
music, fireworks, etc) are always in our capital.

Otherwise Montreal is the perfect place to be at the beginning of July
because of our jazz festival. It starts at the end of June and lasts almost
two weeks. It's one of the biggest jazz festivals in the world and this year
is its 25th anniversary. Tons of concerts, both free outdoor shows and
ticketed indoor shows. I'd recommend it even if you're not much of a jazz
fan. www.montrealjazzfest.com for more information

Do you have family or friends in Huntsville or Kingston? If not, I'd suggest
skipping them and venturing further west to Toronto. Kingston - aside from
having a university and being the home town of the Tragically Hip - really
isn't much more than a great place to stop to use a toilet on the drive from
Montreal to Toronto.

I would like info on where to go and what to while I am there, plus
which bars and restaurants to go to or any advice you think might help
during my visit.

I'm a Montrealer and don't know the other three cities well enough to make
recommendations, so all my comments from here on in are strictly about
Montreal.

Asking which bars are restaurants to go to in Montreal is like asking "could
you recommend a pub in England where I could get a good bitter?"

You're going to have to be a lot more specific than that...

I find that there isn't a better place to get ideas from than people
who live or have been there before.

Always a good idea!

Richard

Old May 19th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
simoncmg wrote:

I will try the usual tourist sites, but I find that there isn't a
better place to get ideas from than people who live or have been there
before.

Hi, Simon.

A friend and I spent a lovely few days in Ottawa a couple of years
ago. Since I don't know which places you're already planning to
visit, I'll list everything I can think of that we did, even if
some of them may overlap with your current plans.

* Parliament--the obvious. Unfortunately, even though we were
staying at a B&B just a few blocks from Parliament Hill and were
in the area several times, we never managed to get to the Peace
Tower when it was open on a clear day. So we missed that. But
we did walk around the grounds. If you like cats, be sure to
visit the cat sanctuary:

http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text...nctuary_e.html

(And yes, that's part of a very good web site about Parliament Hill.)

* Museum of Civilization (http://www.civilization.ca/)--a beautiful
building (visible from Parliament Hill) across the river in Quebec;
an easy 10 or 15-minute bus ride from downtown Ottawa. Wonderful
exhibits.

* Canadian Aviation Museum (http://www.aviation.technomuses.ca/).
It even has pieces of an Avro Arrow!

* RCMP Musical Ride headquarters:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/musicalride/ridecentre_e.htm

Free tours to see all those beautiful horses! You may even see
some riders training in the indoor ring.

* Haunted Ottawa--you don't have to believe in ghosts to enjoy
this. It starts from a kiosk near Sparks and Elgin (at the east
end of Sparks Street Mall).

* ByWard Market--restaurants, shops.

* National Archives--this page has a list of current exhibits:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/whats-on/index-e.html

* National Gallery (http://national.gallery.ca/)--like it says,
the official art gallery for the country.

* Royal Canadian Mint (www.mint.ca)--very near the gallery.

We didn't make it to the Governor General's house, but it's
in that same area. We found Ottawa a compact, easy to explore
town. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Patty

Old May 19th, 2004, 10:09 PM
iaink

Originally posted by Richard

Kingston - aside from

having a university and being the home town of the Tragically Hip -
really isn't much more than a great place to stop to use a toilet on the
drive from
Montreal to Toronto.

A little harsh
maybe...Fort Henry by the RMC is definately worth a visit, if only for
the opportunity to get a photo with the regimental goat Some nice
restaurants in the downtown area too, and the archetecture and "old
town" feeling are very pleasant.

If you are in that neck of the woods
check out the 1000 islands cruises from Gananoque as well.

Iain

Old May 20th, 2004, 12:33 AM
Aramis

Richard;

If you don't know what you are talking about with regards to the other
cities (and you admitted you don't), don't talk.

Canada's first capital, Fort Henry, Wolfe Island and The Thousand Islands,
Canada's finest collection of Limestone Buildings......oh, and yeah, a
couple of toilets. I usually save my discharges till I get to Montreal.

Old May 20th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Larry

Kingston - aside from
having a university and being the home town of the Tragically Hip -
really isn't much more than a great place to stop...

Kingston has a *great* brewpub: Kingston Brewing Company. Excellent
ale, and a very nice selection of single malt whiskies, should you be
so inclined.

-- Larry

Old May 24th, 2004, 10:31 AM
simoncmg

(Patty Winter) wrote in message ...
In article ,
simoncmg wrote:

[...]

Hi,

I would just like to thank all of you who took the time to reply and I
look forward to going to Canada this Summer.

Thanks again

Simon