Cartagena Columbia

Old September 17th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Jordan Zimmerman

Default Cartagena Columbia

I've heard nothing but scary stories about Cartagena Columbia. I'm leaving
for a 20 day Panama cruise (on the Veendam) next week and there's a stop in
Cartagena. Should I stay on the boat? Can anyone recommend a good/safe
excursion?

--
Jordan Zimmerman
http://www.jordanzimmerman.com

Old September 17th, 2003, 09:28 AM
MJDEEG

Most ships are not porting in Columbia due to unrest and warnings from our
State department.

If you happen to stop, I would probably elect to enjoy the ship's on board
activities.
Happy Cruisin'
Mark
Home Port:
Monmouth County,NJ.
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Laura Billmers

Jordan Zimmerman wrote:
I've heard nothing but scary stories about Cartagena Columbia. I'm leaving
for a 20 day Panama cruise (on the Veendam) next week and there's a stop in
Cartagena. Should I stay on the boat? Can anyone recommend a good/safe
excursion?

We took a Panama Canal cruise on the Rotterdam 2 years ago and we
stopped in Cartegena. We took a ship's excursion that took us to the
old part of Cartegena. It was one of the most interesting stops we ever
made. If your ship still plans to go there, I would consider taking the
ship's excursion. Our tour guide was excellent and tere was safety in
numbers. I would not tour without a ship's excursion.

Old September 17th, 2003, 02:47 PM
villa deauville

Take the ships tour.

SUNNY...........if you care for a good cup of java make sure you buy
coffee to bring back with you

S'nd I

Old September 17th, 2003, 04:14 PM
psm

My wife and I took a fifteen day Panama Canal cruise two years? ago,
there were State Department warnings then also. We took the ships tour
and it turned out to be one of the most interesting tours that we took
on that cruise. The tour included a trip to the absolutely beautiful
church on the mountain above Cartagena, a fort (stopping for exterior
pictures only), the old prison converted into cool funky shops and a new
mall for jewelry (emeralds), coffee, etc.. There was some aggressive
selling going on from the street vendors at the fort, but the ship
sponsored shops were nice and friendly, and stocked with a lot of really
interesting items.
I never felt threatened or overly concerned, but some use of common
sense will go a long way.
Take the ships provided tour and have a great time.
Phil

Old September 18th, 2003, 02:47 AM
Annie Noname4

Been to cartagena,it is beautiful,we were also warned,but we took the
ships tour,and had no problem,they also warned us several years ago
about cruising the greek isles,and cruising the nile in egypt,but had no
problems there either,and that was in between two terrorist attacks.
Annie

Old September 18th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Nathan Rosenthal

We stopped in Cartagena on a Panama Canal cruise in April, 2001. We did not
take a ship's tour but opted for a taxi tour with a local guide. We went
into the old part of town and saw several museums. Our guide spoke decent
English. We saw armed military but did not feel threatened. Most of the
street vendors moved on when we said we were not interested.

I believe conditions have changed since then. Follow your gut instincts.

. ..

Old September 18th, 2003, 09:28 AM
MJDEEG

Safety in numbers means nothing if armed men board your bus or van!
Happy Cruisin'
Mark
Home Port:
Monmouth County,NJ.