N.Y. and Washington, D.C. in November

Old August 29th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Xavier

Hi, travelers!!!

I have been following the debate about NY city.
Although I did not even think about security issues, I welcome that this
subject pops-up.

As far as I understand, NY is not as dangerous as it was some years ago, but
everybody must watch their pockets (as in any other big city in ther world).
One question remains, although, is it safe to roam the streets at night? I
mean not only the main streets but the secondary ones?

Since I do not know in with hotel I will stay, it would help me if you say
if it is/is not dangerous to walk on secondary streets.

On the other hand, as I said in my first post, I plan to spend two days on
Washington. I only have two days in Washington and 5 in New York!!! I know
that's too little, but I have no more days. I'll be glad if I leave both
cities willing to go back again and stay longer on my next visit.

How would you travel from N.Y to Washington? Train or Bus? How long does it
take? Where could I find some info about timetables?

In Washington I plan to visit the main goverment buidlings (from outside, I
have to time to take a tour). But what I would love to visit is the National
Air and Space Museum. In fact, this is the reason why I want to make such a
fast visit to the city. Any tips you think could help me about this?

Thank you.

Xavier.

Old August 29th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Mark Brader

Xavier:
How would you travel from N.Y to Washington? Train or Bus? How long does it
take? Where could I find some info about timetables?

Rita:
The Amtrak and Greyhound websites. Greyhound is much cheaper than the
train and only a bit longer trip. Average travel time 4-5 hours each way.

The train is about 3 hours. Actually there are different kinds of train
(all operated by Amtrak), with different speeds. The price by train
depends on whether you take a fast train or a slower one, and whether
you travel at a busy time or not. (Acela Express is the most expensive
service, and not greatly faster than other trains.)

In Washington I plan to visit the main goverment buidlings (from outside, I
have to time to take a tour). But what I would love to visit is the National
Air and Space Museum. In fact, this is the reason why I want to make such a
fast visit to the city. Any tips you think could help me about this?

It is a very popular attraction and much visited by people with kids. I
would get there when it opened rather than later in the day to minimize
dealing with crowds. Other than that, just enjoy it. It is located on
the Mall, close to the Capitol and other monuments and Smithsonian
museums. And like all Smithsonian museums it is free.

Also like all Smithsonian museums, it closes around 6 pm, so another
reason to come early is so that you have time to see everything you
want.

The museum now has a second building, called the Udvar-Hazy Center,
which is near Dulles Airport. This is much larger than the main
building on the Mall -- it's where they keep aircraft and spacecraft
that won't fit in there. For example, the space shuttle Enterprise,
the prototype for the Boeing 747 (called the Dash-80), the Enola Gay
(the plane Hiroshima was attacked from), an SR-71, and a Concorde.

It doesn't have nearly as many interesting smaller things to look at
as there are in the main museum, though -- or at least, that's how I
felt when I went last year.

There's no admission change at the Udvar-Hazy, but you'll have to pay
to get there. There is a dedicated bus running between the two museum
locations, but it takes 45 minutes and -- again this is last year's
information -- you have to reserve in advance for a particular trip
time, so if you want to do it, you have to guess how long you'll want
to be there. You could also make the trip by taxi, of course, but
that would be quite expensive -- I would guess at least $40 each way.
Because the place is only *near* the airport, airport buses aren't
helpful.

Incidentally, on the same trip last year I also visited the USS Intrepid
in New York, which is commercially operated as a "Sea-Air-Space Museum".
I thought it was worth seeing, but not nearly as well done as the
National Air & Space Museum is, and in view of this the price of
admission seemed a bit steep. They also have a Concorde, so I actually
saw two of them a few days apart.

I should warn you to expect a security screening on entry to any of
these museums, as well as other public buildings in Washington and
major tourist attractions in New York. Same sort of thing you get
at an airport, although the exact rules are likely to be different.
--
Mark Brader | "I always pass on good advice. It's the only thing
Toronto | to do with it. It is never any use to oneself."

Old August 29th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Juliana L Holm

Rita wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:02:30 +0200, "Xavier" wrote:
In Washington I plan to visit the main goverment buidlings (from outside, I
have to time to take a tour). But what I would love to visit is the National
Air and Space Museum. In fact, this is the reason why I want to make such a
fast visit to the city. Any tips you think could help me about this?

It is a very popular attraction and much visited by people with kids. I
would get there when it opened rather than later in the day to minimize
dealing with crowds. Other than that, just enjoy it. It is located on
the Mall, close to the Capitol and other monuments and Smithsonian
museums. And like all Smithsonian museums it is free.

Rita is right on as goes for Amtrak and Greyhound, and the infamous Chinatown
bus.

As far as Air and Space a couple of other items. If you want to see an IMAX
film or go to the planetarium, get those tickets first thing when you get there,
as they frequently sell out. Some of the films are really wonderful. I
particuarly like the first one "To Fly" as well as the one on the space
station. Excellent.

The museum opens at 10:00. There is security at it. Go early, as Rita said,
it fills up in the afternoons. That said, November is a great time to do this,
it's when I as a local like to visit the museums onthe mall, because hter are
almost no tourists.

Julie
--
Julie
**********
Old September 1st, 2005, 05:08 AM
Pan

wrote:

Hi, travelers!!!

I have been following the debate about NY city.
Although I did not even think about security issues, I welcome that this
subject pops-up.

As far as I understand, NY is not as dangerous as it was some years ago, but
everybody must watch their pockets (as in any other big city in ther world).

Absolutely. In New York, never put anything of value in your back
pockets or your jacket pockets, only in your front pants pockets.

One question remains, although, is it safe to roam the streets at night? I
mean not only the main streets but the secondary ones?

I can't answer for every side street in every part of Manhattan, but
in general, my answer is, yes, it is safe - with the caveat that you
have to keep your wits about yourself, just as you mention in terms of
watching your pockets.

Since I do not know in with hotel I will stay, it would help me if you say
if it is/is not dangerous to walk on secondary streets.

Your best bet is to give us the locations of different hotels you're
considering, but it's very doubtful that any of them will be on
dangerous streets (well, maybe dangerous for jaywalking...)

On the other hand, as I said in my first post, I plan to spend two days on
Washington. I only have two days in Washington and 5 in New York!!! I know
that's too little, but I have no more days. I'll be glad if I leave both
cities willing to go back again and stay longer on my next visit.

How would you travel from N.Y to Washington? Train or Bus?

I take the train, but the bus is cheapest.

How long does it
take?

Local trains (much cheaper than Metroliner express trains - note to
other interested parties: Acela express service is still suspended)
are about 5 1/2 hours.

Where could I find some info about timetables?

www.amtrak.com for train schedules. The cheapest bus service is from
Manhattan's Chinatown to Washington's Chinatown. I believe several
companies provide such service, but the only one I can think of
offhand is Fung Wah Bus. You could also check www.greyhound.com for
Greyhound buses, which leave from Port Authority Bus Terminal between
40th and 42nd Sts. between 8th and 9th Avs.

In Washington I plan to visit the main goverment buidlings (from outside, I
have to time to take a tour). But what I would love to visit is the National
Air and Space Museum. In fact, this is the reason why I want to make such a
fast visit to the city. Any tips you think could help me about this?

Yes. By all means, go and visit! For space enthusiasts like me who
watched the Apollo 11 moon shot in amazement, a visit to the Air &
Space Museum is a really great experience.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the NOTRASH. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old September 1st, 2005, 05:18 AM
Pan

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:20:47 GMT, Rita wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:46:56 -0000, (Mark Brader) wrote:

Xavier:
How would you travel from N.Y to Washington? Train or Bus? How long does it
take? Where could I find some info about timetables?

Rita:
The Amtrak and Greyhound websites. Greyhound is much cheaper than the
train and only a bit longer trip. Average travel time 4-5 hours each way.

The train is about 3 hours. Actually there are different kinds of train
(all operated by Amtrak), with different speeds. The price by train
depends on whether you take a fast train or a slower one, and whether
you travel at a busy time or not. (Acela Express is the most expensive
service, and not greatly faster than other trains.)

I just checked Amtrak's website, and I can confirm your remarks.
Clearly, speeds are much higher than they were only 3 years ago, when
I last travelled to and from Washington. The "regional" service trains
(non-express) seem to average around 3 hr 20 min scheduled duration.

I haven't taken Amtrak recently but I remember it as almost
always being late.

[snip]

The Northeast Corridor probably has the most punctual service of any
Amtrak route. Trains are sometimes more than 30 minutes late, but I
wouldn't count on it the way people in Buffalo count on the train from
New York being at least an hour late at best. Perhaps some people who
take that route often or have access to actual figures on its
punctuality can comment further.

Old September 1st, 2005, 01:21 PM
Juliana L Holm

Pan wrote:

The Northeast Corridor probably has the most punctual service of any
Amtrak route. Trains are sometimes more than 30 minutes late, but I
wouldn't count on it the way people in Buffalo count on the train from
New York being at least an hour late at best. Perhaps some people who
take that route often or have access to actual figures on its
punctuality can comment further.

I've travelled a dozen times between Washington and Philadelphia on Amtrak
(non-acela trains) and in that only one time has it been more than 5 minutes
late on either end.
--
Julie
**********
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:28 PM
Juliana L Holm

Pan wrote:
Local trains (much cheaper than Metroliner express trains - note to
other interested parties: Acela express service is still suspended)
are about 5 1/2 hours.

Actually, Acela service is not still suspended, although not all Acela trains
are back in service. You can find the information at the Amtrak web site, which
you already gave, under "Acela update"

www.amtrak.com for train schedules. The cheapest bus service is from
Manhattan's Chinatown to Washington's Chinatown. I believe several
companies provide such service, but the only one I can think of
offhand is Fung Wah Bus. You could also check www.greyhound.com for
Greyhound buses, which leave from Port Authority Bus Terminal between
40th and 42nd Sts. between 8th and 9th Avs.

Greyhound between the two can be as fast as trains; I recently did it in 5 hours
and is significantly less expensive, if saving $70 or so is worth it. Prices
vary, but it's a valid way to go. It's less comfortable, more crowded, and
it's not easy to get up and move. STations in both cities are in relatively
good areas, well lit, with lots of taxi service. In washington, you want
to walk straight south from the Greyhound station to get to Union STation metro
if you're continuing on public transport. Of course in New York, you take
subway right to Penn station.

--
Julie
**********
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:00 PM
Mark Brader

"Michael" writes first in another branch of the thread:
| Local trains (much cheaper than Metroliner express trains - note to
| other interested parties: Acela express service is still suspended)
| are about 5 1/2 hours.

And then in this branch:
I just checked Amtrak's website ...
Clearly, speeds are much higher than they were only 3 years ago, when
I last travelled to and from Washington. The "regional" service trains
(non-express) seem to average around 3 hr 20 min scheduled duration.

I don't closely follow schedule changes on this route, but the slower
type of trains have actually been in the range of 3 1/2 to 4 hours
for a long time. Michael might be remembering some specific service
that was slower than others for some reason, or misremembering.

As noted, the Acela Express is in fact running again now.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The three dots '...' here suppress a lot of detail

Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:54 PM
Pan

About my remarks stating that Acela express service was still
suspended: I based that on the text of an Amtrak ad that ran as
recently as a few days ago on WCBS-AM radio in New York, stating that
the "comfortable" Metroliners were being run while Acela trains were
offline (I don't remember the exact phrasing of the mention of Acela,
but I obviously was confused by Amtrak's own ad, not necessarily a
really great point in favor of Amtrak's publicity).