Will this cause me problems in the future ?

Old April 28th, 2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Becky[_2_]

Default Will this cause me problems in the future ?

I have a flight booked from the UK to the USA, i had to change my return
flight (date and departure airport) but my AA flight back wasnt changable.
So ive had to book a new single return ticket with a different airline, if i
dont take the return part of the AA flight will this cause me any problems
in the future flying with AA ? i have to travel on AA a couple of months
later aswell. Am i best letting AA know i wont be taking the return leg and
would this affect the internal flight i have booked with them aswell ?
appreciate any info if available

I realise i can call AA but dont want to if they say i cant take any part of
the flight unless i use the return with them!

thanks

Old April 28th, 2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gary[_2_]

I doubt that this would be a problem with AA but I'd suggest that if you're
really worried just call AA after you get to the States and cancel the
return reservation. I don't know how much or when you have to tell US
Immigration authorities about when you're leaving the US. That might be
worth checking.

--
Gary
Visit Lucy & Gary and do the jigsaw puzzle at

Old April 28th, 2007, 05:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Becky[_2_]

Hi Gary
Thanks for the reply, im only changing my return by a week and am still well
within the 3 month limit that i can stay in the USA, so i cant see it being
a problem with imigration, they normally ask how long im staying for when i
enter the US and ill just tell them my return date if im asked

thanks

Old April 28th, 2007, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Becky wrote:
I have a flight booked from the UK to the USA, i had to change my return
flight (date and departure airport) but my AA flight back wasnt changable.
So ive had to book a new single return ticket with a different airline, if i
dont take the return part of the AA flight will this cause me any problems
in the future flying with AA ? i have to travel on AA a couple of months
later aswell. Am i best letting AA know i wont be taking the return leg and
would this affect the internal flight i have booked with them aswell ?
appreciate any info if available

I realise i can call AA but dont want to if they say i cant take any part of
the flight unless i use the return with them!

From what I understand it is "illegal" to sell you a return ticket
knowing only one way will be used. I have requested this and was
refused so the second time I just did not tell them. Never was a
problem. But things may have changed in the new era of "security".

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
Sawyer's Nicknames http://tinyurl.com/gowma
Old April 28th, 2007, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"Becky" wrote:

I have a flight booked from the UK to the USA, i had to change my return
flight (date and departure airport) but my AA flight back wasnt changable.
So ive had to book a new single return ticket with a different airline, if i
dont take the return part of the AA flight will this cause me any problems
in the future flying with AA ? i have to travel on AA a couple of months
later aswell. Am i best letting AA know i wont be taking the return leg and
would this affect the internal flight i have booked with them aswell ?
appreciate any info if available

I realise i can call AA but dont want to if they say i cant take any part of
the flight unless i use the return with them!

Why would anyone at AA possibly care if you don't board a flight? As
long as your ticket is paid for, they couldn't care less if you actually
use your ticket. In fact, AA can earn more money when passengers don't
board because they have the opportunity to sell those passengers' seats
to standbys. As a consideration, letting AA know is a good idea; it is
after all, how you would be treated if the situation were reversed,
right? You know the old saying, do unto others ...
Old April 28th, 2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
duh

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
"Becky" wrote:

[...]

I concur. They don't care. Its extra money for them if you cancel the
return leg.

However, buying a one-way ticket will get you extra scrutiny by
security. This is a red flag. But it wasn't a big deal when it
happened to me. An extra 5 minutes max. At least for domestic US
destinations.
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Becky[_2_]

"duh" wrote in message
Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
"Becky" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the posts guys, i have heard in the past of people getting
contacted by the US immigration and being "grilled with questions" for not
taking the return leg of thier flight, this may have been when they
outstayed their visa waiver limit though, i thought it best to ask here and
at least get a response as to what people thought. Maybe me asking if "AA"
would have a problem was the wrong thing actually.

The one way ticket i bought is obviously from the USA back to the UK so i
doubt very much anyone will give me any extra scuting, actually ill have TWO
return tickets when i enter the USA! Ive been to the US dozens of times and
get the usuall questions on entry, how long are you staying, why are you
here, how much money do you have with you etc etc.

Of course i will let AA know i wont be using the return part of the flight
and yeh i guess they will make more money from my seat!
thanks again
Becky

Old April 29th, 2007, 04:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Shawn Hirn writes:
Why would anyone at AA possibly care if you don't board a flight? As
long as your ticket is paid for, they couldn't care less if you actually
use your ticket. In fact, AA can earn more money when passengers don't
board ...

Why? Because some travel companies discount their round-trip tickets to
the point that a one-way can cost more than a round-trip -- and if they
catch you not completing a round trip, then they charge you the extra
for a one-way fare *and* maybe earn more money by reselling the space.

Some people find this ridiculous and others find it sensible; let's not
debate that. The fact is that such policies exist and therefore the
original poster is right to be concerned.

Having said that, I haven't heard of any airlines or any American-based
companies doing it. But I'm no expert. The safest thing for the original
poster to do, I think, is to ask AA in a phone call without identifying
herself or giving her reservation number. (She may need to know the
ticket's "fare basis" code.)
--
Mark Brader | "I have on occasion manufactured technical terms that
Toronto | have made it into common use in the literature.

Old April 29th, 2007, 05:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
duh

Becky wrote:

Thanks for the posts guys, i have heard in the past of people getting
contacted by the US immigration and being "grilled with questions" for not
taking the return leg of thier flight,

I have no experience with this aspect of it.
Old April 29th, 2007, 06:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Becky[_2_]

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
Shawn Hirn writes:
Why would anyone at AA possibly care if you don't board a flight? As
long as your ticket is paid for, they couldn't care less if you actually
use your ticket. In fact, AA can earn more money when passengers don't
board ...

Why? Because some travel companies discount their round-trip tickets to
the point that a one-way can cost more than a round-trip -- and if they
catch you not completing a round trip, then they charge you the extra
for a one-way fare *and* maybe earn more money by reselling the space.

Some people find this ridiculous and others find it sensible; let's not
debate that. The fact is that such policies exist and therefore the
original poster is right to be concerned.

Having said that, I haven't heard of any airlines or any American-based
companies doing it. But I'm no expert. The safest thing for the original
poster to do, I think, is to ask AA in a phone call without identifying
herself or giving her reservation number. (She may need to know the
ticket's "fare basis" code.)
--
Mark Brader | "I have on occasion manufactured technical terms that
Toronto | have made it into common use in the literature.
| But not many, and I'm licensed." --John Lawler

Thanks, ive heard this several times aswell, and my single return ticket was
indeed more expensive than the out and back ticket i purchased from AA!!
this is 99% of the time usually the case.