Luggage tags

Old August 11th, 2007, 06:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

Default Luggage tags

I received my cruise documents for the Mercury in the mail today. I
think I would be in trouble if I had to use all six of the luggage
tags they provided - I'd never be able to get them all through the
airport. Do people still travel with hatboxes?

On a slightly more serious note, does Celebrity provide the Onboard
Luggage Valet in Seattle, where you leave your bag outside your door
the night before disembarcation, and next see it at your home
airport's luggage claim? Cruise booklet says yes, phone rep says no.

Old August 11th, 2007, 08:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 8/11/2007 1:15 AM Jack Hamilton exclaimed:
I received my cruise documents for the Mercury in the mail today. I
think I would be in trouble if I had to use all six of the luggage
tags they provided - I'd never be able to get them all through the
airport. Do people still travel with hatboxes?

On a slightly more serious note, does Celebrity provide the Onboard
Luggage Valet in Seattle, where you leave your bag outside your door
the night before disembarcation, and next see it at your home
airport's luggage claim? Cruise booklet says yes, phone rep says no.

I've always placed the Cruise luggage tags on my bags after leaving the
airport for my hotel or the port. I often arrive the day before the
cruise and stay at a hotel. If I do that, then I put tags on the next
morning before leaving for the port. That way, nobody at the airport
gets confused. As for hat boxes, I've seen some western guys travel
with a box for their 10 Gallon or Stetson hat. It keeps the hat in
shape when not being warn. Can't help you with the On Board Luggage
Valet. My suggestion. Call the cruise line again. If another rep says,
"no" then no it is. If you get a "yes" you might want to ask for a
supervisor for the tie breaker.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old August 11th, 2007, 12:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Jack Hamilton wrote:

I received my cruise documents for the Mercury in the mail today. I
think I would be in trouble if I had to use all six of the luggage
tags they provided - I'd never be able to get them all through the
airport. Do people still travel with hatboxes?

I know that we often use the "extras" for carryon stuff after we get
to the port or the port's airport. I don't necessarily want to hump some
of the lower value stuff like cosmetics around and figure the Cruise
Lines are less likely to lose it than the airlines.
Old August 11th, 2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Don & Lynn[_2_]

We were on a cruise a few years ago and there were a group of ladies from
the Red Hat Society. There were many hat boxes.
Don

Old August 11th, 2007, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gregory C. Read[_2_]

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
Jack Hamilton wrote:

I received my cruise documents for the Mercury in the mail today. I
think I would be in trouble if I had to use all six of the luggage
tags they provided - I'd never be able to get them all through the
airport. Do people still travel with hatboxes?

I know that we often use the "extras" for carryon stuff after we get
to the port or the port's airport. I don't necessarily want to hump some
of the lower value stuff like cosmetics around and figure the Cruise
Lines are less likely to lose it than the airlines.

Since there are always extras, I generally put two tags on each checked bag
(top and side of duffels). And one on each carry. "Belts and suspenders",
I suppose.

--
Greg

Old August 11th, 2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Jack Hamilton wrote:

I received my cruise documents for the Mercury in the mail today. I
think I would be in trouble if I had to use all six of the luggage
tags they provided - I'd never be able to get them all through the
airport. Do people still travel with hatboxes?

For the last four cruises that we've taken, we've driven to the port.
The only reason to use the luggage tags is for the ship. And since
the last cruise was back to back and was altogether 25 days, and went
from winter to tropics and back, we did have a lot of stuff and didn't
have any extra tags.

I know that we often use the "extras" for carryon stuff after we get
to the port or the port's airport. I don't necessarily want to hump some
of the lower value stuff like cosmetics around and figure the Cruise
Lines are less likely to lose it than the airlines.

Since there are always extras, I generally put two tags on each checked bag
(top and side of duffels). And one on each carry. "Belts and suspenders",
I suppose.

We do put the tags on the carryons too.
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:46:56 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Jack Hamilton wrote:

I received my cruise documents for the Mercury in the mail today. I
think I would be in trouble if I had to use all six of the luggage
tags they provided - I'd never be able to get them all through the
airport. Do people still travel with hatboxes?

I know that we often use the "extras" for carryon stuff after we get
to the port or the port's airport. I don't necessarily want to hump some
of the lower value stuff like cosmetics around and figure the Cruise
Lines are less likely to lose it than the airlines.

I put one on every carry-on, like my knpasack and the wife's laptop
bag...I figure it might help if somehow we mislay a bag while waiting
to board.

Like some other mentions, we don't put our cruise tags on until we get
the luggage at the airport..I've heard few tales of luggage getting
scoopped up by handlers assuming the bags are part of a tour group but
even once would be too often.

Jim P.