Indonesian independence

Old January 30th, 2008, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Default Indonesian independence

Sorry for the slightly OT post, but when did Indonesia achieve
independence - in 1945 or 1949?
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti
s.com...
Sorry for the slightly OT post, but when did Indonesia achieve
independence - in 1945 or 1949?
--

Indonesians say that in 1945. The Dutch say that in 1949. The IMF says that
not up to this date.

Old January 30th, 2008, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Gerald Oliver Swift

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Sorry for the slightly OT post, but when did Indonesia achieve
independence - in 1945 or 1949?

Depends which side you were on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indones..._soverei gnty

Gerry

Old January 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article i, Markku
Grönroos says...

Indonesians say that in 1945.

Exactly. An Indonesian wrote me and said I should correct the error on
my Indonesia gallery, where I put 1949 as the independence date.
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:23 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
RAK

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Sorry for the slightly OT post, but when did Indonesia achieve
independence - in 1945 or 1949?
--

As other posts. The Indonesians declared indepence in 1945 and Indepence Day
is still celebrated on Aug 17th.

The country continued in a rather muddled state until 1949, with "Allied"
forces (Dutch and British, including Indian troops in the British forces)
trying to re-establish Dutch sovereignty, their successes mainly confined to
the cities I think.
So the Dutch view and perhaps the official international/western one would
be 1949.

Under US pressure the Dutch finally conceded and recognised the new
republic in 1949 (December?), excluding Dutch New Guinea. There were still
some issues until at least 1950, e.g. South Malukku not being happy to be
included in Indonesia, and some issues like that dragged on for years.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , RAK says...

As other posts. The Indonesians declared indepence in 1945 and Indepence Day
is still celebrated on Aug 17th.
So if you have an Indonesian audience go for that.

The country continued in a rather muddled state until 1949, with "Allied"
forces (Dutch and British, including Indian troops in the British forces)
trying to re-establish Dutch sovereignty, their successes mainly confined to
the cities I think.
So the Dutch view and perhaps the official international/western one would
be 1949.

Under US pressure the Dutch finally conceded and recognised the new
republic in 1949 (December?), excluding Dutch New Guinea. There were still
some issues until at least 1950, e.g. South Malukku not being happy to be
included in Indonesia, and some issues like that dragged on for years.

Ok, I've now updated the page. By the way, when did the USA achieve
independence? They declared it in 1776, but England only formally
recognised it many years later, right?
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:54 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
RAK

[...]

Have we already recognised it? I thought we were just waiting for them to
see the error of their ways.

Wiki says we (UK) recognised the sovereignty of the 13 states in 1783, but
can you trust Wiki?
The war of independence (or American Revolutionary War) was from 1776 to
1781, won with the help of the dastardly French.
The government was set up under Washington as President in 1789. So I
suppose you could pick a date from 1776 to 1789, but again it is probably
prudent to agree with the natives (an unwise choice of word in this case?).

And even then it took much longer to acquire the rest of the states from
France, England, Spain etc. and of course the real natives. I suppose 1848
would be another suitable date (getting California and much of the SW from
Mexico) to pick, if you really want to annoy people.