Comments on itinerary [Yosemite, Zion, Death Valley + more]

Old December 26th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Miles

Default Comments on itinerary [Yosemite, Zion, Death Valley + more]

Peter Ibrahim wrote:
Moab certainly looks a worthwhile excursion, my friend had been somewhat
sceptical of the Painted Forest Monument Valley section, so if I can
convince him there's a lot of other places to visit nearby, it should sway
his mind. I've also heard of Meteor Crater and a few other momuments near
Flagstaff - have you visited them?

Meteor crater is worth a visit. But not to see the crater itself. It's
just a big hole in the ground, takes 5 minutes to look at. What is very
good is the Nasa museum there. The Apollo astronauts trained there and
this museum is very interesting.

Another great stop is in Flagstaff at the Lowell Observatory. This is a
100 year old observatory/museum/science center. The tour of the grounds
and especially the 100 year old telescope is fascinating. This is where
pluto was 1st discovered.

Just east of Flagstaff is Walnut Canyon Indian Ruins. Just north of
Flagstaff on highway 89 is Sunset Crater. This is a great place for a
couple hour hike through some incredible old volcanic fields. Just down
the road is Waputki indian ruins. This would be a great route to the
grand canyon if time permits. Drive to Sunset Crater on highway 395,
then onto Waputki. Then continue on 395 and it will pass by some more
indian ruins to walk through. 395 then continues back to 89. Head
north to Cameron, turn left onto highway 180 and follow it to the grand
canyon. This road is the east rim road with many great vista places.
It also passes the Little Colorado River gorge which is worth a visit.

Old December 26th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Lonewackodotcom

Regarding mountain biking, are there
some easy trails in Moab? I'm guessing mountain biking opportunities may be
limited, and it would be quite a nice way of viewing one of the parks,
however I'm after something fairly easy - are there trails for all biking
abilities..?

I'm sure there is, I'd suggest checking out trail guides or asking a local bike
shop. Also, on the other end of the state Cedar Breaks Nat. Mon. might be an
interesting half-day trip. It's a big hole in the ground, twice as deep as
Bryce, kinda like a compressed Grand Canyon. You can't hike down into it, and
it's difficult to hike into the bottom from outside. But, I was impressed.

If you're going to hike around the Grand Canyon, be aware that you might not be
acclimatized to the altitude at the top. If you arrive there, immediately hike
down, and then hike back up the next day you might have altitude problems.

If you have a tent, sleeping bag, and the accessories you don't have to worry
so much about getting to places where there are motels. MegaLoMart is selling a
(supposedly) 20 degree bag for $40 and an 8 man tent for $100.

-- Lonewacko: I'm Still Blogging Across America
http://lonewacko.com/blog
Old December 26th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Chris the Liberal

"Peter Ibrahim" wrote in message ...
"Julie" wrote in message
You don't include Bryce NP on your list. I would definitely go there

also.
It is spectacular.

Julie

Bryce was one of my 'possibles', along with Canyonlands and Arches, that I'm
considering fitting in as well. Have you been to the latter two as well?
Any opinions on them?

In my opinion -- photographically at least -- Bryce is much
more interesting than Zion.
Old December 26th, 2003, 11:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

My biggest concern was where we'd fit all our luggage, and given the
relatively inexpensive cost of upgrading to a larger size car, I think we'll
get something with room to spare. I've not seen anywhere any options for
manual drive instead of automatic drive - have you come across this option
at all? None of us have ever driven automatics before, and what with having
to get used to right-lane driving, would be nice to have a system of driving
we're used to. Otherwise we should probably practice with automatics a
little in Britain before we go.

Manual transmissions are rare in US rental cars, in my experience. We rented
a manual transmission car in England, and three of us, all experienced US
manual transmission drivers, had a heck of a time with pawing the air with
our right hands, looking for the gear shift.

In contrast, I can make the transition between my manual transmission car
and my husband's authomatic very easily-- though I do tuck my left foot
close to the car seat for the first hour or so to remind me that I'm driving
an automatic, not a manual, so I only need my right foot.

FWIW.

Also, if you're a member of the RAC, check to see if you have reciprocal
benefits with AAA here (American Automobile Association). They have excellent
maps and trip planning facilities, plus better than rudimentary guidebooks.
Also small discounts are available on lodging and sightseeing.
http://www.aaa.com/international.html

Kay Lancaster

Old December 27th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Go Fig

In article ,
"Peter Ibrahim" wrote:

Regarding mountain biking, are there
some easy trails in Moab? I'm guessing mountain biking opportunities may be
limited, and it would be quite a nice way of viewing one of the parks,
however I'm after something fairly easy - are there trails for all biking
abilities..?

A GREAT bike ride is at Mammoth Lakes. It is on restricted paved road
but the views are awesome. You can take the shuttle bus about 1000 ft
above Mammoth ski resort then its downhill to Reds Meadow... where the
bus can take you back to the ski resort. Along the way you will visit
Devils Postpile Nat. Monument.

Also, Mammoth Mtn ski resort is a world class bike park during the
summer.

http://summer.mammothmountain.com/bi...index.cfm?fl=3

jay
Sat, Dec 27, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old December 28th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Peter Ibrahim

[...]

Cheers for the comments on the sights around Flagstaff. I suspect we'll end
up visiting Lowell Observatory on our first day in Flagstaff, and the others
when we return to the area from Monument Valley. Sounds good to check out
Sunset Crater on the way to the rim, however depending on whether its before
or after Tusayan, it may be a very rushed visit in the morning (don't want
to arrive at the Canyon too late and not find parking), or hopefully a more
relaxed visit in the afternoon.

Old December 28th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Peter Ibrahim

"Lonewackodotcom" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the advice. I've only just found out today that we need a
backcountry permit to stay in campgrounds in the Inner Canyon - I had no
idea of this previously. This means we may not be able to hike to the river
anyway - apparently just over half of all applications for the permits are
rejected. We'll need to get lucky.

Sat, Dec 27, 2003

Thanks for the tip. Will have a look at the link! Restricted paved road is
fine with me

Old December 28th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Peter Ibrahim

"Kay Lancaster" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting suggestion. I was a member with the RAC when I first purchased
my current car, as part of a promotional offer, however I'm not sure if its
run out. Will check up on it though, I noticed a lot of AAA discounts in
online motel prices and so it would be very handy.

I'd completely forgotten that I'll be driving on the other side of the car
as well... Given that our first experience with the car will be in downtown
Phoenix, I guess I'll let someone else start off the driving.