Lone Pine CA to Las Vegas NV?

Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:33 AM
Bowzah

Default Lone Pine CA to Las Vegas NV?

I'll be in Lone Pine CA and need to drive to Las Vegas to catch a flight. It
appears that the only route is across Death Valley, which, I hear, is hot at
the end of July. My question: is this an unsafe drive? Should I avoid Death
Valley, or is crossing it not that big a deal? It seems that going around
Death Valley is quite a hike.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:30 AM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

Bowzah wrote:

I'll be in Lone Pine CA and need to drive to Las Vegas to catch a flight. It
appears that the only route is across Death Valley, which, I hear, is hot at
the end of July. My question: is this an unsafe drive? Should I avoid Death
Valley, or is crossing it not that big a deal?

It'll be hot whatever route you take. It's not an unsafe drive, but it
is prudent to take along several gallons of water for yourself and your
engine, should you need it. And if you do break down, stay with the car.

It seems that going around
Death Valley is quite a hike.

Actually, going through Death Valley is a bit of hike in itself, as you
have to cross several mountain ranges into and out of the valley. Going
south to Barstow then taking 15 to LV avoids the extreme elevation
changes and takes roughly the same amount of time. But it's not nearly
as scenic.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:43 AM
bbrr

interesting problem. if you leave very early in
the morning, the temperature (on average) will
be in the mid to high 80's. a well maintained
vehicle should not have a problem with that.

but if you get a late start, watch out. it is on
average 115 degrees in dv in july. it can
be truly dangerously hot.

also be aware that it will be very hot in
lone pine itself.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:44 AM
Ken

"Bowzah" wrote in news:vDnbc.163229$_w.1787746@attbi_s53:
I'll be in Lone Pine CA and need to drive to Las Vegas to catch a
flight. It appears that the only route is across Death Valley, which, I
hear, is hot at the end of July. My question: is this an unsafe drive?
Should I avoid Death Valley, or is crossing it not that big a deal? It
seems that going around Death Valley is quite a hike.

If your car is in good shape, you shouldn't have any trouble. Put a couple
of gallons of bottled water in your car just in case. If your car is under
powered, turn off the air conditioning on the climb out of the valley.
Lots of people take the main highway every day during the summer.

There is another highway that passes north of the valley where the weather
is cooler. It goes through the bristlecone pine ancient forest, which has
an interesting visitor center.

Regarding hiking, Death Valley is very hot during the summer. Don't be
suprised by 120+F temperatures. Some people can handle the heat and there
is even a popular marathon running race in the middle of the summer.
Others start fainting at even 100F. You need to judge your own fitness and
comfort level. Bring pleanty of water and sun screen.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:38 AM

Bowzah wrote:
I'll be in Lone Pine CA and need to drive to Las Vegas to catch a flight. It
appears that the only route is across Death Valley,

Drive down 395 to 15. We just did this in February and it only took us
about 4 or 5 hours.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 05:10 AM
Lawrence Akutagawa

hmmm...I myself would take 395 south to 58 east to I15 north. Saves
considerable time and miles as versus taking 395 south to I15 north.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:37 PM
Bowzah

What would you estimate the total drive time is between Lone Pine and LV on
that route?

link.net...

Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:41 PM
Bowzah

"bbrr" wrote in message
interesting problem. if you leave very early in
the morning, the temperature (on average) will
be in the mid to high 80's. a well maintained
vehicle should not have a problem with that.

but if you get a late start, watch out. it is on
average 115 degrees in dv in july. it can
be truly dangerously hot.

I'd be starting out around 3PM, so it's likely I'd hit the worst of it. I'll
be driving a rental car (Ford Escape), so it should be in good shape, but I
do need to think of what would happen if i break down, which could be a real
problem.

also be aware that it will be very hot in
lone pine itself.

Yeah, I've heard. But I'd like to photograph the Alabama Hills area, and
Lone Pine looks pretty close, so I'll be there.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:42 PM
Bowzah

"Ken" wrote in message
[...]

As much as I'd like to, I won't attempt any hikes in DV this July. No death
wishes here. But, if I am driving through, and see a scenic location, I will
be compelled to stop and shoot a few frames. ;-)

Old April 3rd, 2004, 11:24 PM

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
hmmm...I myself would take 395 south to 58 east to I15 north. Saves
considerable time and miles as versus taking 395 south to I15 north.

You're right, of course - I forgot about this "cutoff", even though we
used it ourselves in February.