Latest on Isabel

Old September 15th, 2003, 11:52 PM
Charles

Default Latest on Isabel

In article , Brenda
wrote:

Great news for East Coast - LOWE'S had announced a price freeze on
all hurricane related mdse. Batteries, Water, Plywood, Nails,
Hammers, ladders, even generators

Whoopee.

--
Charles
Old September 16th, 2003, 01:22 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Brenda
wrote:

Great news for East Coast - LOWE'S had announced a price freeze on
all hurricane related mdse. Batteries, Water, Plywood, Nails,
Hammers, ladders, even generators

Whoopee.

--
Charles

;-)
Nothing like having your personal weather person!!

--Jean

Old September 16th, 2003, 02:02 AM
Linda Coffman

"Brenda" wrote in message...
In the eastern Pacific, Tropical Storm Linda has developed and is
forecast to move northwestward and gradually strengthen over the next
few days. The storm is forecast to remain well southwest of Baja
California, however.

Storms named after me never amount to much. Darn! g

Linda
-----
http://cruisediva.com

Old September 16th, 2003, 02:15 AM
fishman

"Linda Coffman" wrote in message
"Brenda" wrote in message...
In the eastern Pacific, Tropical Storm Linda has developed and is
forecast to move northwestward and gradually strengthen over the next
few days. The storm is forecast to remain well southwest of Baja
California, however.

Storms named after me never amount to much. Darn! g

Linda
-----
http://cruisediva.com

I had a friend who had a 3-year-old named Andrew. After the hurricane of
the same name, the little kid, whose middle name was already 'No', kept
crying after the news was turned on - he thought everyone was mad at HIM!

Chris

Old September 16th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Jim

Wait, isn't it against the law to increase prices on items such as this
while an emergency is pending? I know in Florida you cannot do this and
there is a Federal Law against price gouging during the emergency. If Lowes
or any other store were to raise the prices of any of this merchandise I
think people would be more than justified in being upset and hopefully they
could prosecute those type businesses.While we here in Florida are breathing
much easier and looks quite certain we dodged another bullet I am afraid
that our neighbors to the north will not fare so well and all we can do at
this point is send them our prayers.
Jim

"Brenda" wrote in message
om...
Yep, I did predict S Carolina (gosh after all the 9/11 stuff I had to
attend or work at, I am pooped!) Great news for East Coast - LOWE'S
had announced a price freeze on all hurricane related mdse.
Batteries, Water, Plywood, Nails, Hammers, ladders, even generators
which they are tripling the stock on. I was just at our store to
reseed my lawn with all the rain do here with Isabel, and they are
handing our announcement to tell friends or relative on the E Coast &
have them ready........ THURSDAY if not sooner will be land fall.....
just skip Bermuda.

(Brenda) wrote in message

. com...
This morning at 04:40AM EDT she is 550 miles east of Nassau.......

I predicted N Carolina earlier this week after sitting with my ruler &
pencil with a map following W NW W but last night she is going W no N.
Also saw that the plywood sheets are going for $20 a piece.
RIPOFF!!!!

"Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM wrote in

message
Here is the forecast discussion from the National Weather Service. It

looks
like they are expeting landfall near the Virginia/North Carolina state

line,
or possably along the North Carolina Outer Banks on Thursday

afternoon.

BEGIN QUOTE

000
WTNT43 KNHC 142039
TCDAT3
HURRICANE ISABEL DISCUSSION NUMBER 35
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
5 PM EDT SUN SEP 14 2003

THE AFTERNOON PLETHORA OF RECON WIND AND PRESSURE DATA INDICATE THAT

ISABEL
REMAINS BARELY BELOW CATEGORY 5 INTENSITY. AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE
HUNTERS MEASURED 700 MB FLIGHT-LEVEL WINDS OF 150 KT...OR 135 KT

SURFACE
EQUIVALENT...IN THE NORTHEAST QUADRANT OF THE EYEWALL...WHILE A NOAA
HURRICANE HUNTER DROPSONDE REPORT INDICATED 171 KT AVERAGE WINDS IN

THE
LOWER 150 METERS...OR 139 SURFACE WIND EQUIVALENT. BASED ON THIS
INFORMATION...ISABEL IS BEING MAINTAINED AT 135 KT. THE OUTFLOW

PATTERN
REMAINS VERY IMPRESSIVE AND HAS CONTINUED TO EXPAND.

THE INITIAL MOTION ESTIMATE IS 290/11. THERE IS NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGE

TO THE
PREVIOUS 2 FORECAST TRACKS OR REASONINGS. RECON FIX POSITIONS HAVE

BEEN
COMING IN RIGHT ON TRACK AND THE LATEST 12Z NHC MODEL GUIDANCE

CONTINUES TO
CONVERGE ABOUT THE PREVIOUS 2 FORECAST TRACKS. THE LATEST GFDL RUN HAS
CONTINUED ITS WESTWARD SHIFT IN THE FORECAST TRACK AND THE 96-120H

TRACK IS
AT LEAST 90 NMI WEST OF THE 00Z TRACK. ONE DISTURBING BIT OF

INFORMATION IS
THAT THE 12Z UKMET... GFS...GFDL...AND CANADIAN MODELS DID NOT ANALYZE

THE
500 MB HEIGHT AND WIND FIELDS TO THE 12Z BERMUDA UPPER-AIR OBSERVATION

OF 10
KT NORTHEAST WIND AND 5940 METER HEIGHT. THIS OBSERVATION SUGGESTS

THAT THE
RIDGE TO THE NORTH OF BERMUDA AND ISABEL EXTENDS SOUTHWESTWARD FARTHER

THAN
THOSE FOUR MODELS ARE INDICATING. MORE RIDGING WOULD SUGGEST THAT...AT

LEAST
IN THE SHORT TERM... ISABEL SHOULD MOVE FARTHER WEST THAN THESE MODELS

ARE
FORECASTING BEFORE THE HURRICANE BEGINS TO TURN NORTHWESTWARD. ONLY

THE
NOGAPS MODEL INITIALIZED THE 500 MB PROPERLY TO THE BERMUDA
OBSERVATION...AND THE 12Z NOGAPS TRACK IS TO THE LEFT OR WEST OF THE
PREVIOUS AND CURRENT FORECAST TRACKS. THE OFFICIAL FORECAST TRACK IS

JUST AN
EXTENSION OF THE PREVIOUS TRACK AND IS A LITTLE TO THE WEST AND

SLIGHTLY
FASTER THAN THE MODEL CONSENSUS. THERE REMAINS SOME UNCERTAINTY ON

WHERE THE
EXACT LANDFALL OF ISABEL COULD OCCUR SINCE THE DEVELOPING CENTRAL U.S.
TROUGH COULD STILL DEEPEN AND DIG MORE SOUTHWARD THAN THE MODELS ARE
INDICATING. THIS COULD INDUCE A MORE NORTHWARD MOTION AND RESULT IN

LANDFALL
FARTHER UP THE U.S. EAST COAST. BUT AS IN THE PREVIOUS SEVERAL MODEL
RUNS...A LARGE AND VERY STRONG NORTH-SOUTH ORIENTED RIDGE IS FORECAST

REMAIN EAST OF ISABEL AND PREVENT THE HURRICANE FROM RECURVING
NORTHEASTWARD.

ONLY MINOR FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE EXPECTED FOR THE NEXT COUPLE

OF
DAYS AS ISABEL IS FORECAST TO MOVE OVER SIGHTLY WARMER WATER AND

REMAIN IN A
FAVORABLE UPPER-LEVEL OUTFLOW PATTERN. BY 96 HOURS...ISABEL IS

FORECAST TO
BEGIN ACCELERATING NORTH OR NORTH-NORTHWESTWARD UNDER INCREASING

SOUTHERLY
UPPER-LEVEL FLOW. HOWEVER...THE CENTRAL CORE OF ISABEL IS EXPECTED TO

REMAIN
EAST OF THE STRONGEST WINDS AND UNDER 15-25 KT 200 MB FLOW. THIS WOULD

TEND
TO KEEP ISABEL STRONGER THAN WHAT THE SHIPS INTENSITY MODEL HAS BEEN
INDICATING...ESPECIALLY SINCE ISABEL WILL BE MOVING OVER THE WARM

GULFSTREAM
OFFSHORE NORTH CAROLINA JUST PRIOR TO LANDFALL.

FORECASTER STEWART

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL 14/2100Z 24.1N 67.4W 135 KT
12HR VT 15/0600Z 24.7N 68.9W 135 KT
24HR VT 15/1800Z 25.7N 70.2W 135 KT
36HR VT 16/0600Z 26.7N 71.3W 130 KT
48HR VT 16/1800Z 28.0N 72.2W 125 KT
72HR VT 17/1800Z 31.2N 74.0W 120 KT
96HR VT 18/1800Z 36.5N 76.0W 105 KT
120HR VT 19/1800Z 43.5N 78.0W 35 KT...INLAND

END QUOTE

Source:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh.../142039.shtml?

Tom Smith

"Brenda" wrote in message
om...
Supercane Isabel continues toward U. S.
9/14/2003 12:30 P.M.
Buzz Bernard, Sr. Meteorologist, The Weather Channel

In the western Pacific, Hurricane Isabel would be called a
supertyphoon. Thus, this exceptionally powerful Atlantic
hurricane--with an exceptionally large eye--certainly earns the
designation "supercane." Isabel, an extremely dangerous category 5
storm, continues to churn relentlessly in the direction of the
continental U. S. It's beginning to look more and more like Isabel
will strike the Eastern Seaboard, probably someplace north of South
Carolina, before the week is out. Although Isabel may no longer be a
category 5 at landfall, it's likely to still be a major hurricane

with
winds in excess of 100 mph. Not only that, but a building high
pressure ridge north of Isabel may well tighten the pressure

gradient
on the northern and eastern sides of the storm, thus producing a

large
area of potentially damaging winds.
The first signs of Isabel's approach will be building surf along the
East Coast, mainly from the Carolinas northward. By Wednesday, wave
heights may top 20 feet along the Mid-Atlantic Coast and as far

north
as the southern shores of Long Island. Today, with Isabel still
several days away from the U. S., large ocean swells and dangerous
surf are battering portions of the Leeward Islands, the Virgin
Islands, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. Although large

swells
will spread through the Turks and Caicos Islands and Bahamas over

the
next few days, Isabel is expected to gradually turn to a more
northwesterly track and miss those islands to the east.

Old September 17th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Brenda

Gosh, a hurricane hitting anyone at night...... YIKES! Waves look
great tho. Only hours away & I am looking at her going back to a 3 &
Northbound a bit & I am routing for the Carolinas to be spared & head
for ATLANTIC CITY!

Cleveland is to see her West end on Friday evening, give me 10" of
rain with our brown lawn.
Old September 17th, 2003, 10:39 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Brenda wrote:

Gosh, a hurricane hitting anyone at night...... YIKES! Waves look
great tho. Only hours away & I am looking at her going back to a 3 &
Northbound a bit & I am routing for the Carolinas to be spared & head
for ATLANTIC CITY!

Very sweet of you Brenda, I think the people who live in or near
Atlantic City would disagree with you!!!!!!!!!!

sue