Where do we go in the USA

Old February 28th, 2006, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Where do we go in the USA

Ok we have visited LA from UK a couple of times and done all the studio
tours and theme parks in that area. We have had a great time over there in
the past few years and love the place especially the weather in the summer.
Clear blue sky, mid 70s temps, no insects and great roads. This will
probably be our last holiday with our 18 year old son in the US in August
and we look at the map of the USA and think where we should go this summer.
We have been to Florida and enjoyed at a cooler time of the year. We do not
like stifling heat and humidity of the deep south and prefer the LA climate
but we have done that area. Last year we went to San Fran for a week (very
cold even in mid summer) and Las Vegas for a few days. I have had mentioned
to me that the Seattle area is the best kept secret in the US but unsure
what there is to keep parents and 18 year old entertained for 2 weeks. We
are going to NY in October for 5 days as part of our 25th Wedd Ann so that
is out and also our other son of 21 is coming with us.
Group I need your suggestions and help to come up with ideas for our 2 week
summer holiday 06.

Thank you

Simon.

Old February 28th, 2006, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"RogerS" writes:

Ok we have visited LA from UK a couple of times and done all the studio
tours and theme parks in that area. We have had a great time over there in
the past few years and love the place especially the weather in the summer.
Clear blue sky, mid 70s temps, no insects and great roads. This will
probably be our last holiday with our 18 year old son in the US in August
and we look at the map of the USA and think where we should go this summer.

Yellowstone National Park; throw in a day or two of rafting on
the Yellowstone and/or Gallatin rivers. Good stuff.

There are more insects here than in LA, though

Eric
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

RogerS wrote:
Ok we have visited LA from UK a couple of times and done all the studio
tours and theme parks in that area. We have had a great time over there in
the past few years and love the place especially the weather in the summer.
Clear blue sky, mid 70s temps, no insects and great roads. This will
probably be our last holiday with our 18 year old son

Don't be so sure. Once he finds out the joy of parents paid vacation,
he'll come back for more.

in the US in August
and we look at the map of the USA and think where we should go this summer.
We have been to Florida and enjoyed at a cooler time of the year. We do not
like stifling heat and humidity of the deep south and prefer the LA climate
but we have done that area. Last year we went to San Fran for a week (very
cold even in mid summer) and Las Vegas for a few days. I have had mentioned
to me that the Seattle area is the best kept secret in the US but unsure
what there is to keep parents and 18 year old entertained for 2 weeks. We
are going to NY in October for 5 days as part of our 25th Wedd Ann so that
is out and also our other son of 21 is coming with us.
Group I need your suggestions and help to come up with ideas for our 2 week
summer holiday 06.

Seattle, and the entire northwest of the US (Seattle and Oregon) is
indeed a wonderful place for a vacation, esp if you like outdoors
beauty. There are a couple of national parks nearby, plus rugged
coastlines. Seattle is not nearly as big a city as LA, but it
certainly has it's own charm and lots of things to do.
Thank you

Simon.

Old February 28th, 2006, 09:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article ,
RogerS wrote:

We do not
like stifling heat and humidity of the deep south and prefer the LA climate
but we have done that area. Last year we went to San Fran for a week (very
cold even in mid summer) and Las Vegas for a few days. I have had mentioned
to me that the Seattle area is the best kept secret in the US but unsure
what there is to keep parents and 18 year old entertained for 2 weeks.

With two weeks, you could do a nice trip to the northwestern U.S.
and southwestern Canada; i.e., Oregon, Washington, and British
Columbia (maybe even over to the Canadian Rockies).

Or focus entirely on the Rockies--Colorado, Wyoming, Montana.
That would be a lovely trip, too.

Patty

Old February 28th, 2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Patty Winter wrote:
In article ,
RogerS wrote:

We do not
like stifling heat and humidity of the deep south and prefer the LA climate
but we have done that area. Last year we went to San Fran for a week (very
cold even in mid summer) and Las Vegas for a few days. I have had mentioned
to me that the Seattle area is the best kept secret in the US but unsure
what there is to keep parents and 18 year old entertained for 2 weeks.

With two weeks, you could do a nice trip to the northwestern U.S.
and southwestern Canada; i.e., Oregon, Washington, and British
Columbia (maybe even over to the Canadian Rockies).

Or focus entirely on the Rockies--Colorado, Wyoming, Montana.
That would be a lovely trip, too.

How about flying to Chicago, driving south and then west through the
Illinois prairies to St. Louis, going across Missouri and the first
third of Kansas as fast as possible, and spending several days touring
mid-Kansas and eastern Colorado?

Could then fly out of Denver, or go north & drive back through South
Dakota and southern Minnesota. ;-)
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Seattle is great in August. See if their Seafair concides with your travel
dates, because there will be a lot going on then. You've probably never
seen hydroplane races, and those are a special thrill the first time.
They'll also have airshows featuring the precision jets of one of the US
military's show-off outfits. You can go down into the mountains; visit
Rainier and Mt. St. Helens area, then head out to the beach at Ocean Shores
and up the Olympic Peninsula. There you can visit Indian settlements, rain
forests, and mountains in Olympic National Park.

Eat lots of smoked salmon and razor clams, go sailing on Puget Sound, and
take a Ferry to spend a day or so in the San Juans. August will be dry and
warm in Seattle, but you'll still be able to toss some snowballs in the
mountains. If you like the outdoors (and still cherish having a lot of
civilized things to do), I can't think of a better place in the States
during August.

Keith

Old February 28th, 2006, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"RogerS" wrote in message
[...]

Flying in to Seattle is a good start and there's certainly enough
between the City and the Cascades for a week.

Mt Rainier NP and area is magical , I spent 3 days in the city and
another 5 in a cabin just outside the NP 3 years ago and there
was no shortage of things to see and do

From Seattle you can either go south into Oregon and either
visit the coast or swing in to Crater Lake NP which is
absolutely unforgettable

Alternately you can drive East to Glacier NP which is also
stunning. Going to the Sun Road is one of the most
amazing drives anywhere in the world, be aware that
it will be busy in August so either ride the open buses
the NP service run or make the trip either at the crack of dawn
or late in the evening

All these options are relatively cool taking you to higher
altitudes and latitudes

Keith
to Glacier NP

Old March 1st, 2006, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:29:28 GMT, "RogerS"
wrote:

[...]

Here are my intentions for late July; maybe you could do
something similar:

Mid-July, I'll fly into NYC from Shannon. Stay three nights.
Rent a car at La Guardia and drive it one-way over two weeks
to Chicago, via New England, Quebec, Montreal, then the
south of lake Ontario to Niagara Falls and north of Lake
Erie to Chicago.

Most of the time will be in the first two phases - new
England and Quebec. I'm only going on to Chicago to minimise
the flight duration for our next leg to LA, so I expect to
take only two days for the Niagara-Chicago section.

Instead of NYC, you could start and finish in Boston, Quebec
or Montreal to do a similar loop of New England, Quebec and
upstate New York.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Two weeks in the beautiful Pacific Northwest....let me see what I can come
up with...

Circumnavigate the Olympic Peninsula, hitting both Olympic National Park and
the Hoh Rain Forest. On the way, catch the ferry out of Port Angeles to
Victoria and spend a day or two (Butchart Gardens is a must-see), then
continue your trip. Stop overnight on the beach at Kalaloch or at Lake
Quinalt Lodge. Explore Westport. While you are over there on the ocean,
continue down to Long Beach; go to Ilwaco and see the Lewis and Clark
Center.

Drive down to Mount St. Helens...betcha don't have many volcanoes where you
live. Drive up Mt. Rainier. Go to Vancouver for two or three days. Take the
excursion from the Seattle waterfront to Blake Island to eat salmon and
watch the Indian dances. Take the "Cascades Loop," driving I-90 to eastern
Washington, up to Wenatchee, and back on highway 2 (go to
www.discoverwashington.com).

Did I mention exploring Seattle itself?

I haven't paid much attention to the dollars involved, but the idea that
there is not enough in the Seattle area to see in two weeks boggles my mind.

Bob Gardner

Old March 1st, 2006, 12:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

we have visited LA from UK a couple of times...
We do not like stifling heat and humidity

I just want to mention that almost anywhere in the U.S. -- except
Alaska and parts of the California coast -- it can get pretty hot in
August, although obviously it's hottest in the south.

In Washington D.C., for example, the average high in August is 87 F.
The most moderate weather in August (if we exclude Alaska and coastal
California) would probably be in New England (Boston, etc).

Jim