Caverns question

Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Caverns question

Hello everybody.
I'm Paolo from Italy.
I'm planning a trip in AZ and NM in June.
I have a question: I have to decide between Carlsbad Caverns or Kartchner.
I've searched for a comparision, but I didn't find it.
What is your suggestion?
Thank you in advance
Paolo

Old April 22nd, 2006, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Maybe this would help:

The physical size of the cave is quite small. The entire Kartchner Caverns could fit inside the smallest Carlsbad Caverns'
room. Inside temperature and humidity is HIGH; barrier doors keep the environment inside constant. It's handicapped
accessible. A tram (acquired from the Atlanta Olympics) whisks visitors from Visitors Center to the cave.

This attraction is worth a visit only because it is such a unique environment. But, be ready for a disappointment if you have
previously visited Carlsbad ... for it is not an immense and breathtaking spectacle.

Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

I can really recommend Carlsbad Caverns. In fact, probably plan on a whole
day to see it. Also, White's city. There was (several years ago) a mummy
indian child that my grandmother found as a child with her brother. They
lived at Smith Ranch (Freholie) which is now part of the national park
outside Carlsbad. If you can, make sure you are at Carlsbad at dusk to see
the bats fly into the caverns. Well worth the trip. Also, some interesting
things to see on the way... Pecos has some interesting things. Also, be
sure to have the new mexico green chili enchaladas... best in the world...
not rolled, but flat.

Then, I would go on down to El Paso, see things there, and see Jurarez
(Mexico). Does not require anything to just go to Juarez.

Sandra Beall
Born & Bred Texan
Now in Alabama

Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Baro wrote:
Hello everybody.
I'm Paolo from Italy.
I'm planning a trip in AZ and NM in June.
I have a question: I have to decide between Carlsbad Caverns or Kartchner.
I've searched for a comparision, but I didn't find it.
What is your suggestion?
Thank you in advance
Paolo

Hi Paolo,

It sounds as though both are very nice, and I can vouch for Carlsbad.
I'll return there when I have the chance...

I just entered "Carlsbad+Kartchner" in google and came up with several
links... here are two of the many:

http://www.epinions.com/content_135530319492

http://home.rica.net/uvrpa/Parade/media/caves.pdf

Enjoy your trip!

Shelly
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Not to put down Kartchner, but there's a reason Carlsbad is on
"wonders of the world" "world heritage" and "world biosphere" lists.
Make sure you see it, and make sure you walk into it. The surrounding
terrain/desert life is really something too.

Old April 23rd, 2006, 02:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:38:36 -0500, "Sandra S Beall"
wrote:

[snip]
Then, I would go on down to El Paso, see things there, and see Jurarez
(Mexico). Does not require anything to just go to Juarez.

What do you mean by "does not require anything"? Do you mean that U.S.
citizens don't require any travel documents? What about Italians, like
our initial poster? I'd think he should ask the Mexican Consulate for
that kind of information if he's interested.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the NOTRASH. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 06:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 4/22/06 12:38 PM Sandra S Beall wrote:
I can really recommend Carlsbad Caverns. In fact, probably plan on a whole
day to see it. Also, White's city. There was (several years ago) a mummy
indian child that my grandmother found as a child with her brother. They
lived at Smith Ranch (Freholie) which is now part of the national park
outside Carlsbad. If you can, make sure you are at Carlsbad at dusk to see
the bats fly into the caverns. Well worth the trip. Also, some interesting
things to see on the way... Pecos has some interesting things. Also, be
sure to have the new mexico green chili enchaladas... best in the world...
not rolled, but flat.

Then, I would go on down to El Paso, see things there, and see Jurarez
(Mexico). Does not require anything to just go to Juarez.

Sandra Beall
Born & Bred Texan
Now in Alabama

Uh, at dusk wouldn't the bats be flying OUT of the caverns and INTO the
caverns at dawn?

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old April 23rd, 2006, 06:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Todd Michel McComb wrote:
Not to put down Kartchner, but there's a reason Carlsbad is on
"wonders of the world" "world heritage" and "world biosphere" lists.
Make sure you see it, and make sure you walk into it. The surrounding
terrain/desert life is really something too.

I agree 100%, although I've never been to Kartchner. The only problem
with Carlsbad is it remoteness in relationship to other areas most
people want to see.

George

Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Sandra S Beall" ha scritto nel messaggio

Then, I would go on down to El Paso, see things there, and see Jurarez
(Mexico). Does not require anything to just go to Juarez.

Thank you. But I may have problem to cross the border and came back to the
States with a car hired in USA (since I'm Italian, of course)

Sandra Beall
Born & Bred Texan
Now in Alabama

Paolo

Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:58 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Baro" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hello everybody.
I'm Paolo from Italy.
I'm planning a trip in AZ and NM in June.
I have a question: I have to decide between Carlsbad Caverns or Kartchner.
I've searched for a comparision, but I didn't find it.
What is your suggestion?
Thank you in advance
Paolo

I would like to tank you for your answers.
I've decide for Carlsbad. I hope to be there at dusk for the "bat
experience"
Thank you again.
Paolo