Travel With The Right Type Of Car GPS

Old November 25th, 2007, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

Default Travel With The Right Type Of Car GPS

On Nov 25, 12:00 pm, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:
"Rog'" wrote in message

"sharx35" wrote:
I've never been lost and NEVER felt frustrated using
paper maps. Grow some spine, eh.

-----------------
Car GPS is a toy for adults with pretty colors and it talks
to you! Folks, we do not need NASA's mission control
to drive somewhere. But it does save guys from having to
stop and ask directions.

I did that once, while driving thru a National Forest. Oh,
the humiliation! I asked, "Can you help me. I don't know
where I am." The lady said, "Don't worry, I know where
you are."

I disagree, driving in strange countries with no navigator a GPS
is worth its weight in gold. Pulling over to study a map
in Rome , NYC or Boston isnt a good alternative

I always say that when I arrive in a city in the middle of the night,
and try to find my hotel, that little silver box is my best friend.

Old November 25th, 2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in
message ...

"Rog'" wrote in message
"sharx35" wrote:
I've never been lost and NEVER felt frustrated using
paper maps. Grow some spine, eh.

-----------------
Car GPS is a toy for adults with pretty colors and it talks
to you! Folks, we do not need NASA's mission control
to drive somewhere. But it does save guys from having to
stop and ask directions.

I did that once, while driving thru a National Forest. Oh,
the humiliation! I asked, "Can you help me. I don't know
where I am." The lady said, "Don't worry, I know where
you are."

I disagree, driving in strange countries with no navigator a GPS
is worth its weight in gold. Pulling over to study a map
in Rome , NYC or Boston isnt a good alternative

Fiddling with a GPS or any other gadget WHILE driving is also NOT a good
alternative. Not save to drive and use those devices at the same time. Ditto
for maps.

I recently rented a car with it in Germany. The instructions
were in German and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off
or reset the last route . It kept telling me in German to turn
around to return to the airport.

Try asking somebody next time. Rental companies are typically
happy to give advice.

Keith

Old November 25th, 2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

wrote:
"Rog'" wrote in message

"sharx35" wrote:
I've never been lost and NEVER felt frustrated using
paper maps. Grow some spine, eh.
-----------------
Car GPS is a toy for adults with pretty colors and it talks
to you! Folks, we do not need NASA's mission control
to drive somewhere. But it does save guys from having to
stop and ask directions.

I did that once, while driving thru a National Forest. Oh,
the humiliation! I asked, "Can you help me. I don't know
where I am." The lady said, "Don't worry, I know where
you are."

I disagree, driving in strange countries with no navigator a GPS
is worth its weight in gold. Pulling over to study a map
in Rome , NYC or Boston isnt a good alternative

I always say that when I arrive in a city in the middle of the night,
and try to find my hotel, that little silver box is my best friend.

What did the braindead use BEFORE GPS to find their way home from school?

Old November 25th, 2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message UDn2j.32115$Zn.2915@edtnps90 "sharx35"
wrote:

Fiddling with a GPS or any other gadget WHILE driving is also NOT a good
alternative. Not save to drive and use those devices at the same time. Ditto
for maps.

You don't need to "fiddle with a GPS", you set it before you start your
journey and then go. Unlike driving in an unfamiliar area with a map,
if you need to change your route on the fly (traffic, made a wrong turn,
etc) the GPS will automatically find another way to get you to your
destination.
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

"Rog'" wrote:
I recently rented a car with it in Germany. The instructions
[for the GPS] were in German and I couldn't figure out how
to turn it off or reset the last route . It kept telling me in
German to turn around to return to the airport.

Try asking somebody next time. Rental companies are
typically happy to give advice.

We didn't realize it was a problem until we had left the airport
and were on the autobahn heading for a wine festival. I was
able to get there anyway. I could'a asked at our hotel, but
from there, we needed to return to the airport, anyway. :-)

Old November 26th, 2007, 12:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Nov 25, 5:34 pm, "sharx35" wrote:
"Jim Davis" wrote in message

On Nov 25, 12:00 pm, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:
"Rog'" wrote in message

. ..

"sharx35" wrote:
[...]

Been traveling for 39 years now. In the late 60's, it was just maps,
asking directions and sitting on the side of the road at night with a
map an map light. I used to get directions from fire halls and Police
stations. I just progress with the technoligy.
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Nov 25, 5:34 pm, "sharx35" wrote:
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in

"Rog'" wrote in message
.. .
"sharx35" wrote:
[...]

Keith- Hide quoted text -

There's nothing to fiddle with. It's all voice commands. It tells
you to get ready for a turn 2 miles out, and then tells you of the
turn when you get to it.
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:16 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Jim Davis" wrote in message

On Nov 25, 12:00 pm, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:
"Rog'" wrote in message

. ..

"sharx35" wrote:
[...]

I've travelled all over North America, since the late 50's and NEVER had to
ask Fire or Police officials for directions.

Old November 26th, 2007, 08:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
On Nov 25, 5:34 pm, "sharx35" wrote:
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in

"Rog'" wrote in message
.. .
"sharx35" wrote:
[...]

Uh huh. Whatever. Why do you feel the need to justify your existence by the
use of unnecessary toys?

Old November 26th, 2007, 03:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Nov 26, 2:17 am, "sharx35" wrote:
"Jim Davis" wrote in message

On Nov 25, 5:34 pm, "sharx35" wrote:
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in

"Rog'" wrote in message
.. .
"sharx35" wrote:
[...]

use of unnecessary toys?- Hide quoted text -

Why does anyone? The world is full of "unnecessary toys". Cell
Phones, Ipods, TV, Radio, DVD players, video games. Just ask any
Amish person.