Driving rules of the road in Canada vs. US

Old June 16th, 2008, 12:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Driving rules of the road in Canada vs. US

a good rule with the metric system is to double it, and add 32....

so If you usually drink 6 beers in the states, you double it and add
the 32, meaning you drink 44 METRIC beers....

take off eh, gotta love those mckenzie brothetrs....

Old June 16th, 2008, 01:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian K[_2_]

On 6/15/2008 5:24 PM The Grand Poobah plucked Senior Frog's Magic
Twanger and said:
Well, allegedly, in article , Mark Brader wrote:

I am a US citizen driving to vancouver. Are there any differences in
the driving rules-of-the-road in Canada vs. the U.S? I want to avoid
any unexpected citations.

- If you see a flashing green light for your left-turning lane,
that's equivalent to a protected green arrow -- go ahead and make
the left turn.

Dangerously wrong advice!

Ah! I see. Thanks for the correction (and clarification).

I find that I'm still learning about Canada with every visit, apparently. :-)

If you see a flashing blue light, it means you're in a K-mart and
something is on sale by the light. Run don't walk to get the best
items! ;-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
The Grand Poobah

Well, allegedly, in article , Brian K wrote:

I find that I'm still learning about Canada with every visit, apparently. :-)

If you see a flashing blue light, it means you're in a K-mart and
something is on sale by the light. Run don't walk to get the best
items! ;-)

HAHAHAHAHA -- ok, good tip, duly noted!
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
CalifBill

wrote in message
I am a US citizen driving to vancouver. Are there any differences in
the driving rules-of-the-road in Canada vs. the U.S? I want to avoid
any unexpected citations.
Thanks

Except for speed in Kilometers per hour is almost the same. Take your
passport, do not take guns, ammunition or drugs or more than a liter of
booze. Take money as gas is even more expensive there. Figure 3.7 liters
per gallon. ATM cards do not work at the grocery store as they use a pin
and chip card. Works in the bank ATM's. Inform your credit card and debit
card companies that you are leaving the country.

Old June 16th, 2008, 06:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carthell

On Jun 15, 1:42 pm, wrote:
I am a US citizen driving to vancouver. Are there any differences in
the driving rules-of-the-road in Canada vs. the U.S? I want to avoid
any unexpected citations.
Thanks

The state of Vermont provide a nifty page of links to that Canadian
vehicle authorities: "http://www.aot.state.vt.us/DMv/HOME/Links/
DMVCanada.htm".

Of course, nothing beats personal experience. The material provided by
the sites
might cover additional information not referred to in this newsgroup.

-d
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message GSe5k.21615$TL6.1747@trnddc01 "James Silverton"
wrote:

I haven't checked lately but do Canadians have "Right Turn on Red"? I've
had to remind myself quite a bit when driving in Europe where it is not
customary.

Yes, except in Quebec.

In Alberta, we also have left turn on red, assuming you're going from a
one-way to a one-way, or there are no cops around.
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message "CalifBill"
wrote:

ATM cards do not work at the grocery store as they use a pin
and chip card.

I doubt you'll find anywhere without a magnetic strip reader, chip
readers are just being phased in.

FWIW, US bank cards will work if they have a Visa logo on 'em, just say
"credit" rather then "debit" if asked, and expect to sign rather then
use a pin.

However, ATM cards without a Visa logo are not always cross-boarder
compatible at point-of-sale machines.

Works in the bank ATM's.

Find a real bank though, the ATM in a convenience store doesn't count.

Old June 16th, 2008, 09:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

I haven't checked lately but do Canadians have "Right Turn on Red"? I've
had to remind myself quite a bit when driving in Europe where it is not
customary.

Yes, except in Quebec.

That's out of date. It's now "Yes, except in Montreal."

It brings to mind another difference from US driving: signs in Canada
are more likely to be graphical. We don't go as far in that direction
as they do in Europe, but our one-way-street signs are an arrow with no
words (resembling one of the two US styles), and if a specific
intersection is posted "no right turn on red", it may well be done by
using a "no right turn" icon beside a picture of a red traffic light.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "VAX 3 in 1 carpet care -- now 129.95 pounds"

Old June 16th, 2008, 11:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

................................................. .........Don't forget your passport
to be able get back to the States.

--
Martha Canada

You DO NOT need a passport if crossing the US-Canada border by car or
ferry. Only needed if flying.

A birth certificate and photo ID (drivers license) work just fine.
See:

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/c...bpmc_2223.html

You MAY require a passport beginning in June 2009. But that date keeps
changing.

Old June 16th, 2008, 02:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On 2008-06-15 19:54:39 -0400, "
said:

a good rule with the metric system is to double it, and add 32....

Oh, right. And that works with feet, pounds, gallons, degrees...the
whole schmear? Eh?

I don't know.....you would have to ask the guys in the great white
north....it's their joke......

but obviously not.....