We Know The Future II

Old November 26th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Ted Herzl

Default We Know The Future II

Bangkok, Thailand is now car-free. And freeways in the US and
Europe are being torn up. I-95 is being torn up from Florida to Maine
and all other freeways from coast to coast are being torn up.

LMFAO! Yeah righty ho there. Show me even 1 mile of freeway/motorway which
is being torn up, right now? You can't because there isn't any. In fact
there are new motorways being built.

Actually, though San Fransisco is not on the road to be "car free,"
they have been tearing out a few freeways lately. And there was a
news item last year about the opening of a new freeway in the LA area
that was described as being "the last one to be built." All the good
locations are already built out, building them is fiendishly
expensive, and even the highway engineers I know admit that it's
impossible to build your way out of traffic jams.

These cities he mentions might not be "car free," but I would suspect
that in the coming years it will become easier to live in an American
city without havingto own a car. Which is a good thing, it's like
getting a $5,000 a year pay raise (Estimates are that operating costs
of a car are $7,000 a year, but you might need to spend $2,000 a year
on transit passes and occasional car rentals to obtain equivalent
mobility.)
Old November 26th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Nicholas Byram

"Baxter" wrote in message
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"me" wrote in message
om...
(Dustin Lambert) wrote in message

m...
Count on the automobile disappearing in the US, Europe, and elsewhere
in the world as American, European, Asian and other cities go car-free
and freeways and roads in the US and Europe get ripped up and replaced
with mass transit systems and cities go from large to small, giving
way to small cities and towns. Auto use will disappear and walking,
biking, and transit will be the only ways to get around.

[snip]

Reversing like 6000 years of human history. Yeah, that's gonna
happen. I really wonder how people think their cause is served
by such bald face lies.

Really?! Cars have been around 6000 years?!

Human mobility has been increasing throughout history, from boats to
horsecarts to railroads to cars to airplanes. Try looking at the bigger
picture.

Nick Byram (Bay Area Exile)
Antelope, CA

In 1959, Nikita Khrushchev saw his first U.S. interstate freeway and said he
was shocked by the waste of time, money, and effort. In his country, "there
was little need for such roads because the Soviet people lived close
together, did not care for automobiles, and seldom moved."

Old November 26th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Paul

Dustin Lambert wrote:

Count on the automobile disappearing in the US, Europe, and elsewhere
in the world as American, European, Asian and other cities go car-free
and freeways and roads in the US and Europe get ripped up and replaced
with mass transit systems and cities go from large to small, giving
way to small cities and towns. Auto use will disappear and walking,
biking, and transit will be the only ways to get around.

Single-family areas and businesses not in the downtown cores will
disappear and the land revert to its natural state or be turned into
farmland. This is already happening in Washington State, Oregon, and
Northern California particularly Berkeley. Richard Register's eco-city
project was unanimously approved by the Berkeley City Council and the
way has been cleared for his company, Eco-City Builders, to start
changing the city into an ecocity. He's working on other projects in
China and New Zealand.

San Francisco will be car-free as its streets are transformed
into pedestrian malls. San Jose will do the same. Los Angeles and
Santa Monics are already going car-free.

European cities are already going car-free including London,
Paris, Rome, Edinburgh, Milan, Dublin, Berlin, Oslo, Helsinki (its
downtown area is already car-free), Dresden, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, the
Hague, Strasbourg, all cities in Switzerland, Hamburg, Athens, Madrid,
Istanbul, Prague, Stockholm, Brussels, Vienna, and Monte Carlo,
Monaco.

In Canada, Vancouver, British Columbia, Calgary, Alberta,
Montreal and Toronto are going car-free.

In the United States, Cleveland, Ohio, Columbus, Ohio, New York
City, Boston, Miami, Florida, Tampa, Florida, Portland, Oregon,
Seattle, and Anchorage, Alaska are going car-free. In the Middle East,
Tel Aviv and Jerusalem in Israel, cities in Morocco and Algeria,
Cairo, Egypt, cities in Saudi Arabia, Tehran, Iran, and other Middle
Eastern cities are going car-free.

Bangkok, Thailand is now car-free. And freeways in the US and
Europe are being torn up. I-95 is being torn up from Florida to Maine
and all other freeways from coast to coast are being torn up.

Air travel is also disappearing. Seven European nations have
plans to close airports. This is all true.

Sources:

www.carfree.com
www.carbusters.org
European national and city web sites
CNN
Yahoo! News
www.ci.berkeley.ca.us

Freeways and paved roads are being torn up. America and the world
are changing!

Isn't it amazing that the planet Xintura has countries and cities with the
same names as planet earth?

What do you use for transportation to commute between the two? Do you
need a prescription for it? And do you inhale it, swallow it or inject it?

Paul

Old November 26th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Miguel Cruz

Nicholas Byram wrote:
Reversing like 6000 years of human history. Yeah, that's gonna happen.
I really wonder how people think their cause is served by such bald face
lies.

Really?! Cars have been around 6000 years?!

Human mobility has been increasing throughout history, from boats to
horsecarts to railroads to cars to airplanes. Try looking at the bigger
picture.

Indeed. As density increases, cars become less and less efficient.

For instance, I get around by bicycle in the medium-sized city where I live
(Washington DC). Despite numerous challenges from friends over the years,
nobody in a car has ever beat me anywhere within the city limits (including
fairly long, uncongested runs like Takoma to downtown at 2am). During the
more crowded mid-day hours the bicycle takes half the time (or even less)
compared to driving.

To my mind that's an increase in mobility. And the bicycle isn't exactly
cutting-edge technology. Hence I see the car as an evolutionary dead-end
that flourished temporarily but can't make it in the long run. Improvements
such as computer-assisted driving will buy a few years but fundamentally
automobiles are too space-inefficient in the long run.

DC has very low population density compared with real cities. When living in
proper built-up urban areas like London and New York the bicycle advantage
was even more pronounced.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 26th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Nicholas Byram

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Nicholas Byram wrote:
Reversing like 6000 years of human history. Yeah, that's gonna happen.
I really wonder how people think their cause is served by such bald

face
lies.

Really?! Cars have been around 6000 years?!

Human mobility has been increasing throughout history, from boats to
horsecarts to railroads to cars to airplanes. Try looking at the bigger
picture.

Indeed. As density increases, cars become less and less efficient.

Subways and tunnels. Rapid Transits and Big Digs. The principle remains the
same. People are looking for mobility.

Cars could be used less if people found it desirable to live in denser
cities, where automobile mobility is decreased. However, given that many
inner cities have undesirable environments to live and do business in, this
isn't happening. Your city of Washington DC -- predominantly a
crime-infested ghetto -- is a case in point. The population of DC is
actually lower than it was in the 1950's. The same goes for New York City,
San Francisco, and other dense cities.

Moreover, this fact is precisely why this troll is an idiot. He makes
idiotic statements like "cities go from large to small, giving way to small
cities and towns. Auto use will disappear and walking, biking, and transit
will be the only ways to get around."

People in rural areas and smaller cities and towns drive much, much more
than do central city dwellers. If he had any sense, he would be encouraging
people to move into denser and denser inner cities, not smaller cities and
towns, which are rural and suburban by nature.

In fact, Luddites like him have contributed to the depopulation of central
cities, as he and his ilk have driven up the costs of building and living in
the central cities, pushing people out to suburbs, and now even exurbs.

People like him, leftist criminal coddlers and antidevelopers predominantly,
have also turned crime into a civil rights issue and driven up taxes,
impeded construction projects, and in a myriad of other ways increased the
risks and costs of living and doing business in the central cities, further
causing the very sprawl and auto dependency he claims to oppose.

For instance, I get around by bicycle in the medium-sized city where I

live
(Washington DC). Despite numerous challenges from friends over the years,
nobody in a car has ever beat me anywhere within the city limits

(including
fairly long, uncongested runs like Takoma to downtown at 2am).

Takoma to downtown is fine, but I am surprised that you are still alive if
you bicycle anywhere else in DC.

DC has very low population density compared with real cities.

It has a MUCH higher density than most other American cities, and if people
were not driven out by crime (turned into a civil rights issue), poor
schools, a crumbling infrastructure, etc., it would have an even higher
density. Most American cities and all rural areas will be using cars for
centuries to come.

Old November 26th, 2003, 10:25 PM
JamesStep

I get around by bicycle in the medium-sized city where I live...

That's great. I think we're going to see more of that in the future
as many cities hopefully will become more friendly to bicycles
and pedestrians.

As much as I like bicycles, though, they're not as attractive as
a commuter option when the weather's bad (rain, snow, cold, etc.),
or if you're carrying big packages or groceries (I remember as a
college student struggling to carry my big art portfolio case on my
bike), and they aren't too practical for commuting long distances.
And you're likely to get seriously hurt if you're hit by a car.

Don't get me wrong, I love bikes and hope they are used more.
But I think cars (or car-like vehicles) are going to be with us for
a long time. I suspect we'll eventually see them become all-electric,
and as you said we'll probably see some kind of computer control
eventually (enter your destination into the car's computer and then
just sit back as your car takes you there).

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old November 27th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Jym Dyer

Subways and tunnels. Rapid Transits and Big Digs. The
principle remains the same. People are looking for mobility.

=v= With more cars than people in the U.S., it's no wonder
we're looking for mobility. Too bad all these cars are in
the way. Too bad everywhere we want to get mobile to is
three times as far away, because of everything in between
that was built for cars instead of people.
_Jym_