Some Rental Cars Are Keeping Tabs on the Drivers

Old January 15th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Brent P

Default Some Rental Cars Are Keeping Tabs on the Drivers

In article , Paul O wrote:

Cheez!! This is old sh*t! Give it away! You don't read the contract - you
don't deserve any sympathy!! Rented many cars in the States - always was
told where I could NOT go - in plain English!! Is that the problem - not
much English????

I don't think you quite grasp the scamming nature of businesses in the
USA. While your experience may be good, others may not. Especially when
what is being discussed is a verbal warning. All it takes is one franchise
owner who realizes how he can cash in.

Old January 15th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Peter L

"Brent P" wrote in message
In article , Paul O wrote:

Cheez!! This is old sh*t! Give it away! You don't read the contract -

you
don't deserve any sympathy!! Rented many cars in the States - always was
told where I could NOT go - in plain English!! Is that the problem - not
much English????

I don't think you quite grasp the scamming nature of businesses in the
USA. While your experience may be good, others may not. Especially when
what is being discussed is a verbal warning. All it takes is one franchise
owner who realizes how he can cash in.

Both verbal and written in the contract. How many more warning do you need?

Old January 15th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Brent P

In article , Paul O wrote:

Cheez!! This is old sh*t! Give it away! You don't read the contract -

you
don't deserve any sympathy!! Rented many cars in the States - always was
told where I could NOT go - in plain English!! Is that the problem - not
much English????

I don't think you quite grasp the scamming nature of businesses in the
USA. While your experience may be good, others may not. Especially when
what is being discussed is a verbal warning. All it takes is one franchise
owner who realizes how he can cash in.

Both verbal and written in the contract. How many more warning do you need?

I don't, I'll read the whole ****ing thing and you can sit there and wait
behind me in line as I do. But taking the personal aspect out of this...

Let me try to explain it to you slowly. The places that want to profit
by this will *NOT* issue a verbal warning. It will be in the contract,
somewhere. Of course this will be in small print, it will be long. It
will be time consuming to read. There will be a line of people waiting.
These people will grumble about how the arsehole who is holding everyone
up while he reads through the contract, looking for the catches and
gotchas. Very few people want to be that arsehole, afterall, it's just
standard stuff right? No hidden charges or anything.... just sign the
damn thing and move on, people have stuff to do people to see.

Just because you delt with good people doesn't mean *everybody* does.
Some places are rather shady.

Old January 15th, 2004, 06:22 PM
HomeMadePizza

Just out of curiosity... what do you do when you NEED to rent a car
that you can take across state lines? (I don't travel much.)
-HomeMadePizza
Old January 15th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Mark Hewitt

"HomeMadePizza" wrote in message
om...
Just out of curiosity... what do you do when you NEED to rent a car
that you can take across state lines? (I don't travel much.)
-HomeMadePizza

I rented a car in Washington DC when I was in the states. Not crossing state
lines would have meant very few places to drive to!

Old January 15th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article ,
says...

I rarely use a rental car - like twice in the last 5 years, but I know
enough to read the contract I sign and note the limitations that
almost all, if not all companies put on operating the rental outside
the state where it was rented without prior authorization (as well the
restriction on who can drive the cars too!)

it depends on who you rent from. Last time I rented a car was in Seattle.
I knew I wanted to go to Cananda, so I asked the rental agent. They said
Canada was not a problem. I believe I rented from Hertz.

The last time I rented a car (second time in five years) I made sure
that my wife was included as an authorized driver before we left the
rental office.

A spouse is automatically included as a second driver at no extra charge.
At least that is the case every time I have rented. Also, if it is a
business rental, most agreements will also include all other employees of
the same company.

(and yeah, it's possible this Son fellow had been informed of the rate, but
just blew it off.)

Probably the case - he expected he could get away with it, but then
maybe he opted for the tracking device to be included when he got the
car with electronic navigation and didn't realize that the GPS was a
two edged sword telling him how to get to a place and also telling the
rental company where he was going!

Hard to tell. There are companies that don't have these bull**** rules
that you can rent from. He could have easily gone elsewhere..
----------------
Alex

Old January 15th, 2004, 08:49 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Alex Rodriguez" wrote

A spouse is automatically included as a second driver at no extra charge.
At least that is the case every time I have rented. Also, if it is a
business rental, most agreements will also include all other employees of
the same company.

That's not the case when I have rented from Budget recently, and
*definitely*
not the case when I have rented in Europe (from Hertz.)

Floyd

Old January 15th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
Mark Hewitt wrote:

"HomeMadePizza" wrote in message
. com...
Just out of curiosity... what do you do when you NEED to rent a car
that you can take across state lines? (I don't travel much.)
-HomeMadePizza

I rented a car in Washington DC when I was in the states. Not crossing state
lines would have meant very few places to drive to!

If you rent a car in DC, it'll typically be OK for MD and VA also. If
you rent one at PHL, it'll be OK for PA, NJ, and DE usually.
--
Matthew T. Russotto
of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of