Some Rental Cars Are Keeping Tabs on the Drivers

Old January 15th, 2004, 10:05 PM
doubter

Default Some Rental Cars Are Keeping Tabs on the Drivers

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:44:53 -0500, "Lenny"
wrote:

For the record, I'm a frequent renter in the Eastern U.S. and have
never encountered this "common practice." Is it primarily a creature
(a) of the West, where there are generally greater distances between
states, and (b) of smaller rental companies?

I would guess (b). I have rented many cars on the West Coast and never
encountered the "common practice."
Old January 16th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Regina Litman

Lenny wrote:

For the record, I'm a frequent renter in the Eastern U.S. and have
never encountered this "common practice." Is it primarily a creature
(a) of the West, where there are generally greater distances between
states, and (b) of smaller rental companies?

One time when my car was either in an accident or was undergoing major
repairs, and I needed a replacement rental, I came across a restriction
like this. I rented the car in a Pennsylvania suburb of Philadelphia,
and I was told that I could not take the car into New York State. I
wasn't planning to do this, but I wondered about what I would have to do
if had needed to go to New England during this time period. To get from
Philadelphia to New England, I guess I would have had to travel west
through Pennsylvania to Ohio and then Michigan, cross from Detroit to
Windsor (I've been in that tunnel once, on August 27, 1985), cross
Ontario into Quebec, and then enter New England through Vermont, New
Hampshire, or Maine, whichever is most convenient to my destination.

Of course, there was probably a prohibition on going into Canada, too.

Another way would be to put it on some kind of a ferry in New Jersey and
come ashore in New England near my destination.

People renting replacement vehicles are most likely doing it out of
necessity, not as a discretionary expenditure. Already, they've been
inconvenienced by not having their own car. And now they find they can't
take a planned trip because they're not allowed to take the replacement
vehicle there.

--
Please note my correct email address:

rslitman [at-sign] infionline [dot] net

Old January 16th, 2004, 02:35 AM
David J. Grabiner

(Matthew Russotto) writes:

In article ,
Mark Hewitt wrote:

"HomeMadePizza" wrote in message
. com...
Just out of curiosity... what do you do when you NEED to rent a car
that you can take across state lines? (I don't travel much.)
-HomeMadePizza

I rented a car in Washington DC when I was in the states. Not crossing state
lines would have meant very few places to drive to!

If you rent a car in DC, it'll typically be OK for MD and VA also. If
you rent one at PHL, it'll be OK for PA, NJ, and DE usually.

It's up to the company. I have rented several times in the southern
suburbs of Baltimore. Usually, DC and VA are allowed on the rental
automatically. Once, I encountered a contract with the printed terms,
"Cars may not be driven outside of Maryland," and I planned to drive the
20 miles to DC that evening. The clerk told me it wouldn't be a
problem, but I refused to sign the contract until the clause was crossed
out. (I didn't use that company by choice; the dealer provided a free
loaner while my car was in the shop, and he had to get a third-party
rental because his own loaners were all in use.)

--
David Grabiner,
, http://remarque.org/~grabiner
Old January 16th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Stanley Cline

In article , CC Bailey wrote:

Everytime I've rented a car, I've been asked where I was
planning on taking it during the rental period. Budget and
Enterprise have had no problem with us taking vehicles
out-of-state.

The last car I rented was from Payless/Fox near LAX, and
they specifically told me that I couldn't take the car
out-of-state, which was fine since I was staying in the LA area.

In my personal experience renting cars in the US, the "first-tier" major
rental car companies (Hertz, Avis, Budget, National) have no geographic
restrictions (other than that their cars can't be driven into Mexico)
except at some franchise locations in rural areas of the West; such
restrictions are much more common with "second-tier" majors (Dollar,
Thrifty, Enterprise, Alamo, Payless) and smaller, independent companies,
and do seem to be somewhat more common in the West than in the East.

-SC
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might
Old January 16th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Paul

"Fustanella" wrote in message
January 13, 2004

More like 2001-2002 when I first heard of this, including the quoted

person.
Is the NYT back into its old game of rehashing "news"?

There was one story about a car-rental company using a GPS system to track
vehicle speed and "fining," (for lack of a better word) renters for
exceeding some pre-determined limit.

See: http://www.newmassmedia.com/nac.phtm..._fea&ref=16435

--
Paul

Old January 16th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Paul

"HomeMadePizza" wrote in message
om...
Just out of curiosity... what do you do when you NEED to rent a car
that you can take across state lines? (I don't travel much.)
-HomeMadePizza

Some people who drive on long trips will rent a car and drive that instead
of their own car - puts the wear and tear on the rental car and not theirs.
I did it once when my car's transmission failed two weeks before a trip and
even though the tranny had been repaired, I did not feel comfortable taking
it so far from home and decided to rent instead. Of course I informed the
rental agency of where I was going with the car and made sure that driving
the car from FL to NY would be OK when I made the reservation. They said it
was fine (and the unlimited mileage stipulation had no "in-state,"
restrictions) as long as I stayed out of Mexico (no problem there).

--
Paul

Old January 16th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Regina Litman wrote:

I rented the car in a Pennsylvania suburb of Philadelphia,
and I was told that I could not take the car into New York State.

IIRC New York state has some wierd rule about rental cars. Something having to
do with liability not being transferred to the renter?