Brits seeking advice for USA trip

Old June 16th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Matt Robinson

Default Brits seeking advice for USA trip

Hi, I'm a 23 year old from London looking to go to L.A. for a couple of
weeks this summer with my best friend. We were thinking about grabbing a
cheap hotel around town, taking in the sun, the sites, heading to the
beaches, and enjoying a little bit of the night life.
However as much as I'm looking forward to it, the more I've started
researching, the more I'm starting to wonder if this is all such a good idea
as neither of us drive and therefore don't plan on hiring a car - and it
sounds like in the US there is much more of an emphasis on driving than
public transport? In London you can live quite easily with just using buses,
trains and the subway, but I'm wondering if that's possible (and safe) in
LA. So any tips or advice along those lines would very helpful, including
suggestions for places to stay around town that could cut down our travel
issues, while still being in nice parts of town.
Additionally, how feasible in that part of the country is it to take the
odd day excursion out of the city by train or coach and explore some of the
quieter surrounding areas (providing there's stuff worth seeing)? For
instance just grabbing a train down the coast for a change of scenary, that
sort of thing?
Any advice, tips, places to stay and most importantly places to
definitely avoid would be really useful.

Old June 16th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Brian K

On 06/15/2004 7:51 PM Matt Robinson seeking osculation, jotted down:

[...]

You are right in your assumption that L.A. is dominated by auto
transport. It sounds like you want nightlife and mostly beaches. There
are many places in the U.S. where you can get this all within walking
distance of a hotel. If not then a short cab ride away.

Consider South Beach Miami, and further north the less expensive Ft.
Lauderdale. (Equally nice in my opinion.) There's the West Coast of
Florida if you don't care for waves. Virginia and North Carolina have
some nice beaches. In Baja Mexico there's Cabo San Lucas which attracts
a young surfing crowd. In California, San Francisco has a nice public
transport inferstructure but there aren't that many beaches in city
limits. Another surfing location in California is San Louis Obispo. As
for inexpensive lodging do a search on "youth hostel" and see what you
find.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old June 16th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article xPMzc.95$J4.0@newsfe5-win,
"Matt Robinson" wrote:

Hi, I'm a 23 year old from London looking to go to L.A. for a couple of
weeks this summer with my best friend. We were thinking about grabbing a
cheap hotel around town, taking in the sun, the sites, heading to the
beaches, and enjoying a little bit of the night life.

There are many areas of the United States where you can get along fine
without renting a car. If you want to just hit the beach area in Los
Angeles, you shouldn't need a car either. It really depends on what
you plan to do when you are in Los Angeles because the public
transportation system there is not widespread.

Additionally, how feasible in that part of the country is it to take the
odd day excursion out of the city by train or coach and explore some of the
quieter surrounding areas (providing there's stuff worth seeing)? For
instance just grabbing a train down the coast for a change of scenary, that
sort of thing?
Any advice, tips, places to stay and most importantly places to
definitely avoid would be really useful.

There are plenty of bus tours. Do a google search for "Los Angeles bus
tours" or some similar term and you should find plenty of information.
Old June 16th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Peter L

"Matt Robinson" wrote in message
[...]

It's difficult but not impossible to survive without a car in LA. Stay in
the Santa Monica area (there is a good hostel there), there is plenty to do
within public transportation in the area. It's a lot more difficult to just
up and go to the country. For one thing the "country" is pretty far away
from LA, being a huge metropolis.

San Francisco is lot easier to do without a car.

Old June 16th, 2004, 01:46 AM
PTRAVEL

[...]

Of all of the cities in the US, Los Angeles has the worst public
transportation system. It has a subway (underground), but its reach is
still quite limited. There is a public bus system, but it is unreliable and
the busses run infrequently. Additionally, virtually everyone in LA who can
afford one has a car -- you will meet a very different class of people on
the busses. There are some bus routes on which gang activity is a problem.

It is not impossible to get around LA without a car, but it is quite
difficult. You might consider taxis as an alternative.

"Los Angeles" is really a huge metropolitan area comprising a number of
cities. It sprawls throughout a huge basin, i.e. there really isn't a
central section. Areas that visitors would want to see include Santa Monica
and Venice, which are beach communities, West Los Angeles (the Getty Museum,
restaurants, Melrose, Sunset Blvd., clubs, etc.), Beverly Hills, and
Downtown (the Music Center, Museum of Contemporary Art), Pasadena
(restaurants and museums), Universal City (Universal Theme Park, Burbank
Studios Tour, which is nearby).

I lived in Los Angeles for more than 20 years (I left the area last summer).
I can't imagine getting around without a car.

Additionally, how feasible in that part of the country is it to take

the
odd day excursion out of the city by train or coach and explore some of

the
quieter surrounding areas (providing there's stuff worth seeing)? For
instance just grabbing a train down the coast for a change of scenary,

that
sort of thing?

There are trains that run up the coast (Santa Barbara and the area around
Hearst Castle are worth visiting), and down (San Diego and Tiajuana, Mexico,
though I'd recommend avoiding the latter). However, train service in the US
is far below what you're used to in Britain. Amtrak is the US passenger
rail service -- I believe it has a website with schedules.

Old June 16th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Sjoerd

"Matt Robinson" schreef in bericht
[...]

I made the mistake of taking a holiday in LA and not renting a car. To make
a long story short: I ended up hating LA. There is almost no public
transport, people in LA don't walk (that's why they are all fat there), and
in general there is little to do or see in the city.

Go to New York, which is so much nicer, or if you insist on the West Coast,
visit San Francisco which is also OK for a day or two.

But honestly, the only part of the US where one could have a nice time for
more than 2 days without a car is the city of New York.

Sjoerd

Old June 16th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Doug Weller

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 07:43:55 +0200, Sjoerd wrote:

[SNIP]

But honestly, the only part of the US where one could have a nice time for
more than 2 days without a car is the city of New York.

I'd say Boston or Chicago have enough for more than 2 days and you wouldn't
need a car -- and that is only the cities. Ah, and South Beach in Dade
County was mentioned, that would be fine.

Doug
Old June 16th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Doug McClure

Or Washington DC or New Orleans -- BUT NOT IN SUMMER!

DKM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 06:50:27 +0100, Doug Weller
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 07:43:55 +0200, Sjoerd wrote:

[SNIP]

But honestly, the only part of the US where one could have a nice time for
more than 2 days without a car is the city of New York.

I'd say Boston or Chicago have enough for more than 2 days and you wouldn't
need a car -- and that is only the cities. Ah, and South Beach in Dade
County was mentioned, that would be fine.

Doug

To contact me directly, send EMAIL to (single letters all)
DEE_KAY_EMM AT EarthLink.net. [For example .]
Old June 16th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Julie

"Doug Weller" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 07:43:55 +0200, Sjoerd wrote:

[SNIP]

But honestly, the only part of the US where one could have a nice time

for
more than 2 days without a car is the city of New York.

I'd say Boston or Chicago have enough for more than 2 days and you

wouldn't
need a car -- and that is only the cities. Ah, and South Beach in Dade
County was mentioned, that would be fine.

Doug

Definitely don't go to LA unless you are hiring a car.

San Francisco is easy to get around by Public Transport but I doubt you
could spend 2 weeks there.

I've not been to NYC but I know others who have and they certainly didn't
need a car whilst there. In fact it cost them a fortune to park the car
whilst they were there.

Can't help you with beaches to lie around on. Do you really want to spend
all that money to lie around on a beach? There must be closer and cheaper
beaches than the US. Maybe you could go to Hawaii.

Julie