Question on Alaska Cruise Legality

Old March 3rd, 2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Question on Alaska Cruise Legality

Need some expert advice..
Considering a B2B Alaska cruise in 2008
Is this cruise legal or against the Passenger Services Act?

SF to Vancouver, stay on ship.
Vancouver to Whittier, stay on ship
Whittier to Vancouver, Fly back to SF.

3 cruises.

Thanks for any help provided
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tobie Gerbrandt

There is no need for your "stay on the ship" tactic. The cruise(s) you
propose have you boarding the ship in San Francisco (USA) and disembarking
in Vancouver (Canada). This is not contrary to the Passenger Services act.

The act only prohibits Boarding in one US port and disembarking in a
different US port.

That's the way I understand it. If I am incorrect, someone please let me
know. We have done several B to B cruises to Alaska from Vancouver and
there's no problem with you leaving the ship on an intermediate port stop.

If the back to back was from Seattle (which I don't believe there are any)
and you planned to disembark in Seattle, after boarding in San Francisco,
there would be a problem.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Don & Lynn

It sounds like you are taking a repositioning cruise from SF to Vancouver
and then 2 B to B Alaska cruises, probably in May. There should be no
problem.Twice we have done something similar. We fly to Vancouver and take a
7-day to Whittier followed by a 7-day back to Vancouver. We book the last 2
cruises of the Alaska season so that the ship will be headed for the
Caribbean with a stop in LA. So we have a cruise made up of a 7-day north, a
7-day south followed by a 3-day to LA. It was great both times. It is a
really great feeling when you get near the end of each leg and you can relax
while every one else has to pack.
We start the trip by staying in a hotel in San Pedro the day before we fly
to Vancouver and we leave our car in there The next day we stay at the Pan
Pacific hotel in Vancouver, which we really like.
So it is a wonderful 19-day vacation.
So we boarded in Vancouver and got off at a US port and you will be doing
the reverse--It should be legal. The cruise line won't let you book if it is
not legal, they would get fined too. Originally, we wanted to board in
Seattle and get off in LA and Princess said NO.
I hope you have as much fun as we did.
Smooth Sailing,
Don

Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
-hh

On Mar 2, 8:41 pm, wrote:
Need some expert advice..
Considering a B2B Alaska cruise in 2008
Is this cruise legal or against the Passenger Services Act?

SF to Vancouver, stay on ship.
Vancouver to Whittier, stay on ship
Whittier to Vancouver, Fly back to SF.

3 cruises.

Thanks for any help provided

If there's any potential problems with it, just remember that the
Passenger Services Act only applies to foreign-flagged ships. There
are a few US-flagged ships that have itineraries in Alaska, although
as a general rule of thumb, they cost more.

-hh

Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On 3 Mar 2007 14:29:26 -0800, "-hh"
wrote:

If there's any potential problems with it, just remember that the
Passenger Services Act only applies to foreign-flagged ships. There
are a few US-flagged ships that have itineraries in Alaska, although
as a general rule of thumb, they cost more.

Hi,

FWIW, there is not any US flagged ship that does anything close to the
proposed itinerary.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
-hh

Ray Goldenberg wrote:

FWIW, there is not any US flagged ship that does anything close to the
proposed itinerary.

The whole thing, true.

-hh