Is it possible to take a train from the U.S. to Brazil?

Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:35 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Robert Miller

Default Is it possible to take a train from the U.S. to Brazil?

I could not find much about taking a passenger train through Mexico let
alone Mexico to
Guatemala to Honduras to Nicaragua to Costa Rica to Panama to Columbia to
Brazil.

I imagine it would be a nightmare to plan and cost more than a Jet flight,
not to mention the
time it would take to get there, but it would be an incredible adventure

Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:01 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Howard

No, its not. And believe me, if it were, it would be more of an adventure
than you're prolly looking for......The same adventure can be had by taking
buses, with far more flexibility and reliability. Prolly prices out better
too, with a greater variety of service and comfort levels. The best of buses
will afford you airline levels of comfort, the worst will present you with
all the adventure you thought you would get on the train......including
being yanked off the bus periodically to be searched by groups of very young
soldiers with automatic weapons, who like to play grab-ass with their
buddies while their fingers are still on the triggers of their waist leveled
M-16's, while 100 or so civilian bus passengers wander around around
aimlessly waiting for orders to get back on the bus and continue the trip.
BTW....there is STILL no ground tranport between Panama and Colombia.Its
still a boat or air proposition........Howard

Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Magiel Venema

You better just read about it in the fine book by Paul Theroux: The Old
Patagonian Express.

Old October 22nd, 2006, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Richard Ferguson

I think that train service is being reduced in many countries. Mexico
has very few passenger trains left.

As another poster mentioned, buses are probably the best way to see the
countryside. They go everywhere, and offer plenty of opportunities for
adventure.

Note, however, that some sources do not recommend ground transport in
Columbia, because of the kidnapping industry. It is safer to fly.

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com
Sculptures in copper and other metals
Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
tile

"Robert Miller" ha scritto nel messaggio
I could not find much about taking a passenger train through Mexico let
alone Mexico to
Guatemala to Honduras to Nicaragua to Costa Rica to Panama to Columbia to
Brazil.

I imagine it would be a nightmare to plan and cost more than a Jet flight,
not to mention the
time it would take to get there, but it would be an incredible adventure

when I was in Guatemala. I read that there is a bus going through Honduras
Nicaragua Costarica to Panama

It takes about two days. but passengers can stop wherever they want

Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:21 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Calif Bill

"tile" wrote in message

"Robert Miller" ha scritto nel messaggio
I could not find much about taking a passenger train through Mexico let
alone Mexico to
Guatemala to Honduras to Nicaragua to Costa Rica to Panama to Columbia to
Brazil.

I imagine it would be a nightmare to plan and cost more than a Jet
flight, not to mention the
time it would take to get there, but it would be an incredible adventure

when I was in Guatemala. I read that there is a bus going through Honduras
Nicaragua Costarica to Panama

It takes about two days. but passengers can stop wherever they want

What about the Darian Gap?

Old October 24th, 2006, 02:32 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Robert Broughton

Calif Bill wrote:

when I was in Guatemala. I read that there is a bus going through
Honduras Nicaragua Costarica to Panama

It takes about two days. but passengers can stop wherever they want

What about the Darian Gap?

Presumably, that would be the final stop. :-)

--
Bob Broughton
http://broughton.ca/
- Chuck Wright, May 22, 2006
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:43 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Robert Broughton

Magiel Venema wrote:

You better just read about it in the fine book by Paul Theroux: The Old
Patagonian Express.

I second the motion. This book was published in 1979. Even then, travelling
by train in Central and South America was hit-or-miss. A lot of the trains
that Theroux rode on no longer exist, or have been severely downgraded.
Especially in Mexico. And the Patagonian Express itself now runs only
between Esquel and El Maitén.

- Chuck Wright, May 22, 2006
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:38 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
SD[_1_]

tile wrote:
"Robert Miller" ha scritto nel messaggio
I could not find much about taking a passenger train through Mexico let
alone Mexico to
Guatemala to Honduras to Nicaragua to Costa Rica to Panama to Columbia to
Brazil.

I imagine it would be a nightmare to plan and cost more than a Jet flight,
not to mention the
time it would take to get there, but it would be an incredible adventure

when I was in Guatemala. I read that there is a bus going through Honduras
Nicaragua Costarica to Panama

It takes about two days. but passengers can stop wherever they want

TICA Bus runs from Tapachula Mexico through Guatemala, Honduras, El
Salvador, Nicaragua, Coast Rica and on into Panama.....

SD

Old October 26th, 2006, 03:46 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Sancho Panza[_1_]

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
link.net...

"tile" wrote in message

"Robert Miller" ha scritto nel messaggio
I could not find much about taking a passenger train through Mexico let
alone Mexico to
Guatemala to Honduras to Nicaragua to Costa Rica to Panama to Columbia

Brazil.

I imagine it would be a nightmare to plan and cost more than a Jet
flight, not to mention the
time it would take to get there, but it would be an incredible

adventure

when I was in Guatemala. I read that there is a bus going through

Honduras
Nicaragua Costarica to Panama

It takes about two days. but passengers can stop wherever they want

The oldest one is Tica Bus, through all five countries.

What about the Darian Gap?

It's south of Panama City, the end of the route.