From Innsbruck, what other cities can we visit ?

Old September 12th, 2003, 08:46 PM
minee

Default From Innsbruck, what other cities can we visit ?

Hi all,

Will be in Innsbruck for 7 days.. originally for a snowboarding trip,
but we decided we'd like to explore other cities more than
snowboarding for a whole week.
I was wondering if anyone can suggest another city we can go visit
(except Munich and Prague 'cause we'll be there for the second
week)... Is it possible to visit Venice in one day perhaps or a city
in Switzerland (if so which one)? Do you know how far by train to get
to these cities? How much?

Also, what should we expect as far as expenses in Innsbruck, is it
relatively cheap there or expensive because it is a ski-town?

Any info is appreciated. Thank you!

Aimee
Old September 12th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Luca Logi

minee wrote:

Hi all,

Will be in Innsbruck for 7 days.. originally for a snowboarding trip,
but we decided we'd like to explore other cities more than
snowboarding for a whole week.
I was wondering if anyone can suggest another city we can go visit
(except Munich and Prague 'cause we'll be there for the second
week)... Is it possible to visit Venice in one day perhaps or a city
in Switzerland (if so which one)? Do you know how far by train to get
to these cities? How much?

My list of minor but close destinations would be very long, beginning
with Mittenwald, Garmisch, Oberammergau, Linderhof castle.

About major cities, bigger but more distant, the better ones would be
Munich and Salzburg. Venice is very very distant for a day trip by car,
and out of question by train. Also Switzerland isn't close (Zürich would
be three hours or so by car, I suspect more by train).

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Old September 12th, 2003, 09:20 PM
tim

"minee" wrote in message om...
Hi all,

Will be in Innsbruck for 7 days.. originally for a snowboarding trip,
but we decided we'd like to explore other cities more than
snowboarding for a whole week.
I was wondering if anyone can suggest another city we can go visit
(except Munich and Prague 'cause we'll be there for the second
week)... Is it possible to visit Venice in one day perhaps

Realistically no. It's 3.5 hours to Verona and the ride through the
brenner will be good. You could possibly see enough here in 5 hours
to make a reasonable day trip

or a city
in Switzerland (if so which one)?

Nearest is Zurich and that's also 3.5 hours. Zurich is not a
destination I would want to spend 7 hours of round trip travel
to see.

IMHO, Salzburg at 2 hours each way is your best bet.

tim

Old September 12th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Aramis

Ditto on the Salzburg option, you can do Kufstein and Berchtesgaden on the
way.

There is too much to do in Munich in the 3-4 days you will have there to
warrant using one of those to go Salzburg.

Salzburg is more than Mozart - the fortress is excellent, there are salt
mines nearby and it is an exceptional setting.

Old September 13th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Jens Arne Maennig

minee wrote:

Will be in Innsbruck for 7 days.. originally for a snowboarding trip,
but we decided we'd like to explore other cities more than
snowboarding for a whole week.
I was wondering if anyone can suggest another city we can go visit
(except Munich and Prague 'cause we'll be there for the second
week)... Is it possible to visit Venice in one day perhaps or a city
in Switzerland (if so which one)? Do you know how far by train to get
to these cities? How much?

I would suggest to go down to the Italian part of Tyrol (South
Tyrol/Alto Adige) and see Bozen/Bolzano and Meran/Merano.

Also, what should we expect as far as expenses in Innsbruck, is it
relatively cheap there or expensive because it is a ski-town?

Depends pretty much on where you stay and what you do. Innsbruck ist not
really primarily a ski town but nothing less than the capital of the
(with 800,000) inhabitants relatively small) Austrian state of Tyrol.
Great place and nice people, I was there yesterday evening again. Too
bad I never could convince my wife to completly move there.

Jens

Old September 16th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Martin Stock

"Frantisek" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
(minee) wrote in message

Hi all,

...I was wondering if anyone can suggest another city we can go visit
(except Munich and Prague 'cause we'll be there for the second
week)...

You can visit Cesky Krumlov (South Bohemia, Czech Republic, near
Austria). Medieval centre, the 2nd largest castle complex in the Czech
Republic after Prague Castle, unique baroque theatre...:

http://www.discoverczech.com/ceskebudejovice/ck.php4?

Frantisek

Cesky Krumlov as day trip from Innsbruck ???
By train ???
Why not Hamburg or Berlin? (need approx. the same travel time)

Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Brixen would e.g. suitable for a day trip with 1,5
hours travel time from Innsbruck.
http://www.garmisch-partenkirchen.de (click on Tourismus, then select from
"international" English or any of the other 10 languages on offer)
http://www.brixen.org/

Old September 16th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Frantisek

Cesky Krumlov as day trip from Innsbruck ???

I recommend Cesky Krumlov as 2 days trip:
- 1. day: arrival, Castle Complex (castle=2 parts , baroque theatre,
castle gardens), night walk & atmosphere & pub..
- 2. day: rest from 1.day :-), historical center + museums (Wax
Museum, Museum of Tourture...) + gallery? (Egon Schiele Art Centrum),
departure.

Cesky Krumlov surroundings:
- Well-known South-Bohemian castle Rozmberk
- Zlata koruna - old monastery

Frantisek
http://www.discoverczech.com
Old September 16th, 2003, 12:35 PM
tile

I hardly think you will make Cesky Krunlow by train or bus in one day

first of all. you have to go to Lienz
then cross the border and go to Cesky Budejovice
( german translation Budweis.. where the Budweiser beer comes from )
Cesky Krumlov is a few kms from Cesky Budejovice.

If you want my opinion, Cesky Krumlov is much nicer than Innsbrueck.
much cheaper and cosier.
"Martin Stock" ha scritto nel messaggio

"Frantisek" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...

Hi all,

Old September 16th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:35:27 GMT, tile wrote:

I hardly think you will make Cesky Krunlow by train or bus in one day
first of all. you have to go to Lienz

If you go via Lienz it'll take you more than a day. You'll be closer to the
Dolomites than the Czech border.

I think you mean Linz.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.