Eastern Carribean or maybe western

Old April 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
db

Default Eastern Carribean or maybe western

Family and I may plan to take a east carribean cruise with air soon
(less than 60 days). Any advice on which islands are best to see? Is
the carnival cruise too wild for say 55+ old parents traveling with
their college age kids (I mean for the parents not the kids grin) ?

Also debating whether to save money and do the western carribean
cruise instead (closer to our home so we don't need air) but my wife
prefers eastern carribean cruise. Is one better than the other? Why?
With either, one daughter wants to swim with dolphins. Can either
cruise excursion accomodate this (in a pool not in the open seas) ?

Any suggestion as to which travel agents to consider for either cruise
on line? I know of the larger ones... Travelocity, Expedia or Orbitz
but not sure of others.

Last, anything to consider or advise that maybe might be helpful. Any
good web sites to read up for this type cruising? If it matters, we
already have done one cruise in Hawaii (would consider again but wife
wants change).

thanks.
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Apr 9, 11:03 am, db wrote:
Family and I may plan to take a east carribean cruise with air soon
(less than 60 days). Any advice on which islands are best to see? Is
the carnival cruise too wild for say 55+ old parents traveling with
their college age kids (I mean for the parents not the kids grin) ?

Any ship on any line can be "wild" depending on the passenger make-up
of that particular week. Certainly, some lines have more of a party
reputation than others, but if the passenger mix isn't conducive to
that...

My last Carnival cruise was perhaps the sleepiest cruise I've ever
been on. Disco was deserted. Last HAL cruise I took was, oen of the
most,if not THE most "energetic" of all my cruises. Go figure.
Carnival has the party reputation, HAL has the reputation of being the
choice for senior citizens...

Also debating whether to save money and do the western carribean
cruise instead (closer to our home so we don't need air) but my wife
prefers eastern carribean cruise. Is one better than the other? Why?
With either, one daughter wants to swim with dolphins. Can either
cruise excursion accomodate this (in a pool not in the open seas) ?

I think folks tend to prefer the eastern route for shopping, and the
western route for watersports (snorkeling). All depends on what you're
looking to do while in port. Can't really say one is "better" - try
one this time and the other one on your next cruise...

I've never heard of a dolphin swim offered in a pool environment. I
guess they could make a sal****er pool big enough to do this, but I
think it would probably be putting too much undue stress on the
animals, who are already being asked to do things against their
nature.

Any suggestion as to which travel agents to consider for either cruise
on line? I know of the larger ones... Travelocity, Expedia or Orbitz
but not sure of others.

For a first time cruiser, the first thing I'd do is send away for all
the brochures from all the cruiselines that are running cruises when
and where you want to go. Then, after you have an idea of what you
think you'd like, do a little pricing on one of the biggies like
Travelocity (just so you have an idea of what a fair price would be).
With lots of research and info in hand, visit a bricks & mortar TA who
specializes in cruises, and work together on your booking.

If you don't have a TA, there's no reason not to book with one of the
online agencies, but it's nice to have a live TA to talk you through
the process, first time. There are also lots of cruise-only online TAs
(buycruises.com, cruisesonly.com) that might be a better bet than
Travelocity, Expedia, etc.

Lee

Old April 9th, 2007, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

This time of year we prefer eastern caribbean,it tends to be warmer,and
nicer than western

cruise lover

Old April 9th, 2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Uncle Peter

db wrote in message ...

Something to consider is sailing out of
San Juan and doing a more southerly route.
San Juan allows reaching a few of the more
exotic islands (St. Lucia, Barbadoes) and
more stops for a seven day cruise. I can't
comment on the WX though since we usually
look for the bargains in the late fall.

Old April 10th, 2007, 12:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
db

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 18:53:11 -0500, "clint"
wrote:

Remember hurricane season June1-Nov 30!

Yes. My wife tho is VERY aware of it and has reminded me more than
once. But thank you for the important info !!
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

db wrote in message ...
Family and I may plan to take a east carribean cruise with air soon
(less than 60 days). Any advice on which islands are best to see? Is
the carnival cruise too wild for say 55+ old parents traveling with
their college age kids (I mean for the parents not the kids grin) ?

Also debating whether to save money and do the western carribean
cruise instead (closer to our home so we don't need air) but my wife
prefers eastern carribean cruise. Is one better than the other? Why?
With either, one daughter wants to swim with dolphins. Can either
cruise excursion accomodate this (in a pool not in the open seas) ?

Instead of swimming with dolphins, why not go to Stingray City in Grand
Cayman.

The stingrays are free, wild animals, though they see 3000 people a day.
They chose to come visit the people.

Dolphins on the other hand are extremely smart creatures that are being held
captive in salt water "cages". A lot of people refuse to support these
excursions because of the apparent cruelty to these animals (remember the
"Free Willie" movies?).

I personally would have loved to swim with dolphins, but have refused to
after reading about how they're kept.

Any suggestion as to which travel agents to consider for either cruise
on line? I know of the larger ones... Travelocity, Expedia or Orbitz
but not sure of others.

Last, anything to consider or advise that maybe might be helpful.

Yes... find a local, or internet travel agent that you can talk with, even
if only by phone or via e-mail. They'll give you a LOT more service and
assistance than the large internet sites.... and probably be cheaper in the
long run. You want someone you can talk to by phone if there's a problem.

--Tom

Old April 12th, 2007, 01:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill

If you shoot me an email I wll give you my agents contact info. She
works for a very large agency so she can get good discounts but she is
so service orientated she gives her home phone out.
Bill
remove the nospam

Old April 12th, 2007, 05:49 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mary Foster

db wrote:
Last, anything to consider or advise that maybe might be helpful. Any
good web sites to read up for this type cruising? If it matters, we
already have done one cruise in Hawaii (would consider again but wife
wants change).

thanks.

The web site which has helped me the most, and which I still consult, is
www.candybrock.com It is full of a lot of valuable information and
advice. Happy cruising!
Mary Foster