Effect of very long flights

Old April 8th, 2007, 03:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Effect of very long flights

On 1 Apr, 03:47, Mxsmanic wrote:
(PeteCresswell) writes:
Senior or otherwise, blood clots from lack of motion seem tb a significant
consideration from what I've read so far.

DVT can occur anywhere, whenever one stays in the same place for a long time.
Air travel doesn't make one especially prone to DVT. Getting up and moving
around periodically (even for just a minute or two) helps. DVT is rare in
people who are in good health, irrespective of age.

And I'll be they're under-reported, since the bad stuff happens sometime *after*
the flight.

I think in recent years the danger of DVT on aircraft has been greatly
exaggerated.

Maybe. Although I find it hard to believe that the human body has
evolved
to enable us to be immobilised in such a confined spacer for such long
periods
of time. You practically need a crane to lift some people out of
their seats
after 10 hours.

For me the worst thing is the dead time before take-off, knowing you
have 10
hours ahead of you, yet stuck on the tarmac for 1hour. God knows
what it
will be like on the A380.

I believe hospital patients can suffer serious bed sores if they are
not moved
regularly, and they are lying flat.

Old April 8th, 2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Frank F. Matthews

wrote:

On 1 Apr, 03:47, Mxsmanic wrote:

(PeteCresswell) writes:

[...]

Anyone who remains in their seat for 10 hours needs medical care. But
not in the area which is seated.

For me the worst thing is the dead time before take-off, knowing you
have 10
hours ahead of you, yet stuck on the tarmac for 1hour. God knows
what it
will be like on the A380.

I believe hospital patients can suffer serious bed sores if they are
not moved
regularly, and they are lying flat.

Bed sores are a quite different problem. I have never heard any
association to air travel.

Old April 8th, 2007, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Frank F. Matthews

Default Effect of very long flights - Water supplies

Tamzen Cannoy wrote:

In article ,
"RAK" wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
. ..

Many long haul planes have a chilled water dispenser with a tap in a recess
near the galleys, connected to a tank or large water container hidden
somewhere behind. I have refilled my glass or a bottle many times. I have no
idea what the water is... hopefully they do not refill with tap water in
some countries.

I wouldn't drink that. Studies on the safety of the water in those
holding tanks have found coliform bacteria in concentration unfit for
human consumption. They do not clean let alone sterilize those tanks
often enough for it to be drinkable water. I won't brush my teeth with
it either it's just not safe. I used to carry at least a liter of water
to the airport from home. Now I just buy it at the airport. My health is
worth the $6 or whatever when I fly 20-30 times a year.

I think that you may be confusing the situation between holding tanks
for the galley and tanks which feed the lavs. I have mostly seen the
later clearly labeled 'non potable'.

Old April 8th, 2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

1hour. God knows
what it
will be like on the A380.

It shouldn't take any longer.

It's a double decker configuration boarded via a double air-bridge and so no
more people via each door than on a stretched 747.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old April 8th, 2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Frank F. Matthews writes:

I think that you may be confusing the situation between holding tanks
for the galley and tanks which feed the lavs. I have mostly seen the
later clearly labeled 'non potable'.

The tanks for the galley are bad enough that FAs generally won't drink from
them. The water passes health checks, but only just barely.

Old April 8th, 2007, 08:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

William Black writes:

It's a double decker configuration boarded via a double air-bridge and so no
more people via each door than on a stretched 747.

Airlines can't even fill 747s these days. A trip on an A380 will more likely
be lonely than anything else.

Old April 8th, 2007, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news
William Black writes:

It's a double decker configuration boarded via a double air-bridge and so
no
more people via each door than on a stretched 747.

Airlines can't even fill 747s these days. A trip on an A380 will more
likely
be lonely than anything else.

Depends on the price.

Depends on where they fly to.

Flights to the Far East and the Indian sub continent from Europe are usually
pretty full.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old April 8th, 2007, 10:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news
William Black writes:

It's a double decker configuration boarded via a double air-bridge and so
no
more people via each door than on a stretched 747.

Airlines can't even fill 747s these days. A trip on an A380 will more
likely
be lonely than anything else.

You are, yet again, talking nonsense. BA are currently filling just about
every seat on their long-haul 747-400s.

JohnT

Old April 8th, 2007, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Frank F. Matthews writes:

I think that you may be confusing the situation between holding tanks
for the galley and tanks which feed the lavs. I have mostly seen the
later clearly labeled 'non potable'.

The tanks for the galley are bad enough that FAs generally won't drink
from
them. The water passes health checks, but only just barely.

How can anything "just barely" pass healt checks? It either passes or it
fails. More nonsense from Mixi.

JohnT

Old April 9th, 2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air
(PeteCresswell)

Per JohnT:
How can anything "just barely" pass healt checks? It either passes or it
fails.

I don't have any expertise there but it seems like one of the checks would
probably be some sort of microorganism count.

If the standard were 100 per ml and the sample had 99, that would seem tb
"barely passing"... as opposed to another sample that only had 12.
--
PeteCresswell