My itinerary for drive from melbourne to adelaide

Old April 18th, 2007, 07:43 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default My itinerary for drive from melbourne to adelaide

Hi,

I am planning to drive from Melbourne to Adelaide over a course of 4/5
days. I dont want to miss anything out that I may regret but at the
same time Im hiring so need to be careful as dont want to go mad with
spending.Any suggestions on my plans would be much appreciated. The
idea behind it is to sample much of the great ocean road but also take
in some of the grampains. Here it is...

Day 1 - Pick up car in melbourne and drive to Lorne, staying overnight
at Lorne

Day 2 - Drive from Lorne to Port Fairy, staying over night at Port
Fairy. Stopping of attractions on the way such as 12 Apostles

Day 3 - Drive from Port Fairy inland to Hallsgap, staying overnight at
Hallsgap.

Day 4 - Do some hiking in the Grampians based at Hallsgap. Stay
overnight again in Hallsgap

Day 5 - Drive to Adelaide and return car

Anyway, thats the plan so far. I intend to read up on places to stop
of during the driving but if anyone can offer any places that I REALLY
should visit please do reply. Thanks

Burnsy

Old April 18th, 2007, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ross

Sounds good to me. We drove the south coast in early February this year.

The only thing I would say: You have to be lucky with the weather and
(generally speaking) there is not a damn thing you can do about it.

We have driven the Great Ocean Road four times over the last couple of
decades.

First occasion it blew a howling gale so strong I couldn't open my eyes to
see the sites.

Second occasion it was cold, damp, foggy, showery and miserable.

Third occasion the weather was superb. Actually walked over "London Bridge"
about a month before it fell down.

Fourth occasion it was okay but very changeable.

I hope you have a good trip.

Ross

ups.com...

Old April 19th, 2007, 06:20 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Rudy[_1_]

Day 1 - Pick up car in melbourne and drive to

Day 5 - Drive to Adelaide and return car

The best deal on a one way rental we found was an Aussie firm: APEX
Rentacar, also known as APOLLO Camper rentals.

Google them for a quote. They have a "cheapa" rental which is a 3-4 year
old car (Ours was a Hyundai Sonata 4dr-no problems) that has the usual
breakdown coverage etc for about half of the NameBrand rental places.

BTW, We brought our own "insurance" which was looked after by our VISA Card