Got a car, got a licence (well, a UK one) ... insurance?

Old April 9th, 2007, 02:05 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default Got a car, got a licence (well, a UK one) ... insurance?

Hi,

I have a friend who has a car in Melbourne but doesnt have a licence.
Now I didnt plan to really buy a car over here so didnt sort any
insurance out before I arrived. Apologies if this is not really a
travel question but whats the best solution for this? Would I contact
insurance companies back home and set this up if it can be done
quickly or should I sort this out here? Do insurance companies allow
for short term cover? Ive never owned a car so this is all new to me.
As Ive just arrived in melbourne Im wanting to hopefully sort
something out this week, maybe head off this weekend. Any suggestions
would be much appreciated, thanks

Bunsy

Old April 9th, 2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

Of course you will be able to arrange insurance - but it will probably
cost!! I very much doubt that UK Insurance companies will offer vehicle
insurance in Victoria - so you'll need a local company.

You have no driving record in Australia, no insurance record, and you're
looking for a short term policy!

I'd recommend joining the RACV and trying to get a 3rd party property, fire
and theft policy through them. That covers everything except damage to your
car. Member's rates are usually cheaper than other cover. A Comprehensive
Policy would cost a huge sum in your circumstances, and probably entail a
big 'excess'.

The vehicle registration will include the compulsory 3rd party personal
cover which you MUST have - and you should be able to transfer that easily.

ups.com...

Old April 9th, 2007, 02:35 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On 8 Apr 2007 18:05:42 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

I have a friend who has a car in Melbourne but doesnt have a licence.
Now I didnt plan to really buy a car over here so didnt sort any
insurance out before I arrived. Apologies if this is not really a
travel question but whats the best solution for this? Would I contact
insurance companies back home and set this up if it can be done
quickly or should I sort this out here? Do insurance companies allow
for short term cover? Ive never owned a car so this is all new to me.
As Ive just arrived in melbourne Im wanting to hopefully sort
something out this week, maybe head off this weekend. Any suggestions
would be much appreciated, thanks

Bunsy

Ring these two organisations and ask their advice:

VicRoads (the State Government authority for car
registration, transfers of ownership and compulsory third
party insurance).
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...nsAndHours.htm
Telephone number for all customer service centres : 13 11 71
RACV - the equivalent to your Automobile Association; they
provide both motorist advice and various forms of insurance.
http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conne...car+insurance/
Call 13 RACV (13 7228)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:58 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Rudy[_1_]

Would I contact
insurance companies back home and set this up if it can be done
quickly or should I sort this out here? Do insurance companies allow
for short term cover?

Our VISA card provided all insurance coverage above that carried by the
rental companies.
I think the OWNER will have to buy insurance in his name in your case (using
friends car)

Old April 15th, 2007, 05:18 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb[_2_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I have a friend who has a car in Melbourne but doesnt have a licence.
Now I didnt plan to really buy a car over here so didnt sort any
insurance out before I arrived. Apologies if this is not really a
travel question but whats the best solution for this? Would I contact
insurance companies back home and set this up if it can be done
quickly or should I sort this out here? Do insurance companies allow
for short term cover? Ive never owned a car so this is all new to me.
As Ive just arrived in melbourne Im wanting to hopefully sort
something out this week, maybe head off this weekend. Any suggestions
would be much appreciated, thanks

Bunsy

You need to own the car to insure it.

You don't need a short term policy - what you need is a 12 month policy that
you pay by the month and cancel it when you don't need it. Or pay several
months upfront, but find out what the provisions are for pro-rating a refund
if you cancel early.

Big motor vehicle insurers include QBE, AAMI, and RACV.