Walking in Sequoia?

Old May 27th, 2012, 09:44 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Default Walking in Sequoia?

My wife and I are keen walkers in the UK. In late July we have an 8 night
tour to plan, starting and ending at my son's home in Encinitas. Initially
we were thinking of including some hikes in Joshua Tree NP, which I
enjoyed on my solo trip in February 2011. (And we plan to visit Palm
Springs Aerial Tramway in any event.) But a look at the likely Jul/Aug
temperatures in Joshua has quickly changed our minds about that!

We're therefore considering the alternative of getting trains to somewhere
like Monterey and after a day there hiring a car and then staying close to
Sequoia NP (e.g. Three Rivers) for 2 or 3 nights.

What is the likely daytime temperature in the park please? Presumably
hikes of say 5-10 miles are possible on largely shady trails? Over here in
the UK we'd regard 25 C (77 F) as tolerable, but 30 C (86 F) too hot.

And what about this awful Poison Oak I read about? Is it prevalent in that
region?

Any advice would be much appreciated please. Including alternative
suggestions.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old May 27th, 2012, 12:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Joe Makowiec

On 27 May 2012 in rec.travel.usa-canada, Terry Pinnell wrote:

What is the likely daytime temperature in the park please?
Presumably hikes of say 5-10 miles are possible on largely shady
trails? Over here in the UK we'd regard 25 C (77 F) as tolerable,
but 30 C (86 F) too hot.

No personal experience, but go to
http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:93514.10.99999 and visit the "History &
Almanac" section toward the bottom of the page - use the "Seasonal
Weather Averages" link.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman[_2_]

On Sun, 27 May 2012 09:44:37 +0100, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

My wife and I are keen walkers in the UK. In late July we have an 8 night
tour to plan, starting and ending at my son's home in Encinitas. Initially
we were thinking of including some hikes in Joshua Tree NP, which I
enjoyed on my solo trip in February 2011. (And we plan to visit Palm
Springs Aerial Tramway in any event.) But a look at the likely Jul/Aug
temperatures in Joshua has quickly changed our minds about that!

Wise decision!

We're therefore considering the alternative of getting trains to somewhere
like Monterey and after a day there hiring a car and then staying close to
Sequoia NP (e.g. Three Rivers) for 2 or 3 nights.

Three Rivers may be a reasonable choice. It is in the foothills a few
miles before the southern park entrance. Of course it would use some
of your time just to get to the section of the park you want to be in
for most of the day. The northern entrance is some tens of miles
farther north, closer to the Kings Canyon portion of the combined
parks. Both entrances are fairly close to large groves of the big
trees.

What is the likely daytime temperature in the park please? Presumably
hikes of say 5-10 miles are possible on largely shady trails? Over here in
the UK we'd regard 25 C (77 F) as tolerable, but 30 C (86 F) too hot.

I can only comment from memories of hiking on trails there a number
of years ago, but in general probably in the 70s F. in midday. The
terrain is fairly steep in most places, and AFAIR the trails mostly
follow canyons along stream beds. If there are reasonably level long
distance trails they may have been developed since I last visited.

Because of the size of the sequoias a good deal of the trails may have
a surprising amount of sun, depending partly on your direction of
travel.

If your son is in Encinitas he may be a better source for current
conditions, and of course there's always the internet:
http://www.nps.gov/seki/index.htm for the official site, and Google
for in-park and local lodging and facilities.

And what about this awful Poison Oak I read about? Is it prevalent in that
region?

In general the poison oak is found more in the foothills, not at the
altitude of most of the sequoia area - but you may still find it
during your hikes. It's similar to poison ivy and poison sumac in the
way it clings to the skin and clothing and it can lead to very bad
itching if you come into contact with it. With care, and an awareness
of how to identify it, it shouldn't be a problem.
http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view

Any advice would be much appreciated please. Including alternative
suggestions.

Enjoy, enjoy.
--
Don Kirkman

Old May 28th, 2012, 10:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Joe Makowiec wrote:

On 27 May 2012 in rec.travel.usa-canada, Terry Pinnell wrote:

What is the likely daytime temperature in the park please?
Presumably hikes of say 5-10 miles are possible on largely shady
trails? Over here in the UK we'd regard 25 C (77 F) as tolerable,
but 30 C (86 F) too hot.

No personal experience, but go to
http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:93514.10.99999 and visit the "History &
Almanac" section toward the bottom of the page - use the "Seasonal
Weather Averages" link.

Thanks Joe. Also found
http://countrystudies.us/united-stat...er/California/

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Many thanks, Don, very helpful. We spent several hours yesterday trying to
make reservations, but clearly should have done so earlier, as most are
fully booked for our dates. Finally settled on a Best Western in Exeter.
So it will be a fair drive to our likely destinations, but all novel
territory so no real pain. Just have to aim for early breakfasts.

Do you know of any easily available spray or ointment for this Poison Oak
stuff, just in case?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes, Exeter will add perhaps 20-30 miles to your drive. We used to do
it from time to time before WW II, when the road was much worse. :-)

We stayed in that Best Western when we had business in Exeter a couple
of months ago. Pretty new (it wasn't there when we last went several
years ago), comfortable, and close to town center. It met our needs
very well at a reasonable cost.

Both sides of my family have been in the Exeter area since around
1905, and one side since 1882, so Sequoia was our main mountain
adventure spot. My father and my grandfather on the other side of
the family may have helped build some of the roads up in that area,
but not into the park itself, I think. I've been away since about
1950.

Do you know of any easily available spray or ointment for this Poison Oak
stuff, just in case?

I don't offhand, but I suspect most pharmacies, especially in that
area, would carry something.

Not to scare you, but my father--who was extremely sensitive to some
irritations-- had a horrible experience with poison oak. Later
science developed a desensitizing product.
--
Don Kirkman

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Don, appreciate the follow-up. And I know who to blame if we hit
any deep potholes ;-)

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK