what backpack for central america

Old October 19th, 2003, 08:05 PM
John Misrahi

Default what backpack for central america

Hi all,
I am slowly planning a backpacking trip to Mexico/Belize/Guatemala. I was
wondering what is the best way to pack my things? I mean, what kind of bag?
I have a good backpack I have used for all kinds of trips in Canada and and
the US. But I am afraid maybe it looks too 'flashy' and would be a bigger
target for theives..What do you guys do? FInd something dumpy at an army
surplus store? Am I just paranoid/? I have a duffel bag but experience from
this spring says it is a bad idea to carry a full heavy duffel bag for
long..and It is an army one - I understand anything military can bring the
wrong kind of attention in many Central American countries.

john

--
-"The other pubs were all
furnished with the faux "old country" furniture and trappings that must come

To reply by email, please remove 'nospam'

Old October 21st, 2003, 01:57 PM
Dieter

Hi John,
from my experience it's not that backpack itself that attracts
thieves.
Don't think too much about the backpack. Just take the one you've got.
As you said it's one you used already quite offen - brilliant. So you
feel comfortable with it. That's a lot more important than carrying
around any army backpack.

If you are in areas where there is a log of pick-pocketing they might
cut your backpack/daypack anyway with a razorblade. So it might help
to either leave it in a hotel then or put a simple rice or cornback
over it and bend it at the top. It's no real protection, but it means
more time an hassel to cut through two layers.

For robbery that of course means no protection. But an old
army-backpack neither does. Best way to protect against robbery IMHO
is carrying money at different places and hand out a proper sum from
one place. They will not take your backpack usually, simply because
your dirty clothes are not of any value and they are too heavy to run
away with.

Have fun,

Dieter

Old October 21st, 2003, 05:14 PM
John Misrahi

Thanks for the suggestions. Where do you generally prefer to carry important
documents, passport, etc?

john