Vietnam - Can we take currency in?

Old January 28th, 2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan Street

Default Vietnam - Can we take currency in?

In article , ARADURS DS@NOMAIL
wrote:

"Sharkbait" wrote in message
ARADURS wrote:

Hi, going to S. Vietnam for hols. Can we take Vietnam currency in?...if
not, and if we wish to have some currency to exchange, would it be best
to take in UKPounds or USDollars currency and then change to Dong when
there?
Cheers.

My wife and I visited the country a little over two months ago, and we
brought in US dollars, Hong Kong dollars, and Yuan. No problems. We were
able to convert US dollars to dong for between 15,500 to 16,000 dong to
the dollar. I converted very few dollars to dong. We were careful to
declare this currency when we entered the country along with our gold
jewelry. Two years ago, one guy at immigation or customs (can't remember
which) actually wanted to see all the currency. We always save receipts
whenever we can get them.

rg

----------------------
OK, Thanks for that.
Anyone know an on-line address where we can find out what exchange rate
we can get when in VN for USD and UKP?
I'm sure its there but can I find it?...no.

Here's one:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

You can also type "XXX USD in VND" (or vice versa) into Google and get
a direct conversion
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:33 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Hi Aradurs,
You all got info on USD in VN, I am the local travel agent in Vietnam,
if you you want to do any tours in S VN, please feel free to call me
or contact me at:
Regards
Van.

Old January 28th, 2007, 04:24 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon

In article , LeisureMan
says...
For a start it is very difficult to get
Dong outside the country; similarly with Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar,
Sri Lanka and Nepal.

I was able to change Dong into RM in KL, so I would assume that it is
possible to get Dong in Malaysia. But it's pointless to bring Dong into
Vietnam, since it is so easy to get them there.
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:04 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

"PeterL" wrote in message
oups.com...

where are you going to get Vietnam currency outside of vietnam? Best
is to use ATM card.

The ANZ Bank branch in the arrivals hall in Melbourne, to my surprise the
other day. It also offers Indian rupee transactions, another
difficult-to-change currency.

Cheers,

George W. Russell
Bangalore

Old February 5th, 2007, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
traveltolao

On Jan 27, 8:46 pm, "ARADURS" DS@NOMAIL wrote:
Hi, going to S. Vietnam for hols. Can we take Vietnam currency in?...if not,
and if we wish to have some currency to exchange, would it be best to take
in UKPounds or USDollars currency and then change to Dong when there?
Cheers.

Yes, Vietnamese Government always wellcome you to take Foreign
Currency in (especially strong currency) but out is difficult.
However, as in Vietnam, you can very easy to use credit card (ATM
everywhere in big cities) or cheque to exchange with the bank.

Happy traveling
source: http://www.traveltolao.com

Old February 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
GN

On Jan 27, 8:46 am, "ARADURS" DS@NOMAIL wrote:
Hi, going to S. Vietnam for hols. Can we take Vietnam currency in?...if not,
and if we wish to have some currency to exchange, would it be best to take
in UKPounds or USDollars currency and then change to Dong when there?
Cheers.

Aradurs,

USD will be accepted worldwide and Vietnam is no exception and
ofcourse use the ATM facilities available in vietam itself and do note
there will be a service charge from your bank every time you you use
your ATM in a foreign land, make sure you ask your bacnk how much is
that percentage.

If you would like know about vietnam use the below resource as well:

http://www.vtrip.info/Asia/vietnam.htm

Relax, Travel & Have Fun

Regards,

Old February 6th, 2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

On Jan 27, 8:46 pm, "ARADURS" DS@NOMAIL wrote:
Hi, going to S. Vietnam for hols. Can we take Vietnam currency in?...if not,
and if we wish to have some currency to exchange, would it be best to take
in UKPounds or USDollars currency and then change to Dong when there?
Cheers.

I'm sure things have changed in the past few years, but about 10 years
ago I went to HCM and the taxi from airport to hotel was quoted on the
signs in USD and the departure tax was payable only in USD.