Rajasthan: Mt. Abu or Ranakpur?

Old February 13th, 2007, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Jens Sieckmann

Default Rajasthan: Mt. Abu or Ranakpur?

Hi all,

we're are shortly before our 3-weeks-trip to Rajasthan (maybe excursion
to Uttarranchal). Our approximate itinerary is:

Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - Jaisalmer - Jodhpur - Udaipur - Pushkar - Delhi.

This is quite tight. We consider if we also should visit Mt. Abu or
Ranakpur. These are both jain temples in a great landscape. So we
could leave one out.

Which of the to is more worth to visit or easier to reach? Right now
I would prefer Ranakpur, because at Mt. Abu (inner Dilwara temple) it
is prohibited to photograph.

Thanks in advance
Jens
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:09 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
GN

On Feb 13, 8:53 am, Jens Sieckmann wrote:
Hi all,

we're are shortly before our 3-weeks-trip to Rajasthan (maybe excursion
to Uttarranchal). Our approximate itinerary is:

Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - Jaisalmer - Jodhpur - Udaipur - Pushkar - Delhi.

This is quite tight. We consider if we also should visit Mt. Abu or
Ranakpur. These are both jain temples in a great landscape. So we
could leave one out.

Which of the to is more worth to visit or easier to reach? Right now
I would prefer Ranakpur, because at Mt. Abu (inner Dilwara temple) it
is prohibited to photograph.

Thanks in advance
Jens

Jens,

Usually in India the temple shrines (gods) and inner mandapas (the
rooms around the main shrine) will not be allowed to photograph but
the outer mandapas and temple itself from outside can be photographed.

Some temples will be asking special charges to photograph and it will
be operated by the tourism board of that state.

You can send your request directly to the below link and they will be
able to help you with details:

http://www.rajasthan.gov.in/Feed%20Back.SHTM

Have Fun!!
http://www.vtrip.info - Travel guide for the destination you wish.

Old February 14th, 2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
bijapuri

Ranakpur is an easier fit in your itinerary, as you can visit it from
Udaipur. they are both spectacular, so it really doesn't matter which
one you visit!

Old February 20th, 2007, 06:23 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
RG

We visited Ranakpur in August 2005. It was a magnificient experience; one
that my wife and I will cherish forever. The temple at Ranakpur is the
oldest and largest Jain temple in the world and its beauty is captivating.
There's something about this building that will stir your soul - trust me,
it did mine. The weather was fantastic when we visited; not too hot and it
had rained the previous two days, so everything was fresh, green and divine.
There's also a wonderful restaturant tucked into the hills (part of a small
hotel I think) whose name escapes me at the moment. It's on the road between
Ranakpur and Udaipur and if you sit on the patio/veranda outside while you
enjoy your meal, you'll never forget the experience. It's a magical setting.
The food was splendid and refreshing. The kids loved it too.;-)

Don't worry about the photographs - you pay a small nominal fee at the
entrance but you can take a lot of pictures of the pillars in the temple and
nearly everything else.

Enjoy - you are in for the treat of a lifetime.