take my own water bottle to China?

Old July 20th, 2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Denise

Default take my own water bottle to China?

My good friend gave me an insulated bottle to take to China in
September for water. I'll be on an escorted tour, visiting the Great
Wall, the Terra Cotta Warriors in Xi'an, cruising the Yangtke River,
and going to a couple of rural towns (Guilin and Kunming). This
bottle has a belt loop, and a long strap, so I can hook it to my belt
or wear it around my neck. But I'm not even sure it's a good idea to
take a water bottle to China. I know it would be handy to fill it
with bottled water (not tap) for the long days I'll be hiking and
climbing, but it seems kind of ridiculous to pack this thing to go
halfway around the world. I could probably just buy one there, but I
know I would bring it home anyway (then I'd have 2),a nd would it be
insulated and as convenient to carry as this one?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

TIA,
Denise

Old July 20th, 2007, 06:41 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Jul 19, 7:47 pm, Denise wrote:
[...]

So you buy bottle water and pour it into your bottle and carry it
around with you? Seems a lot of effort for such trivial. You won't
be doing much hiking anyway. There are plenty of small shops near the
Great Wall where you can buy bottled drinks.

Old July 20th, 2007, 07:30 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
A Mate

You're following a fairly standard tourist itinerary. Guilin, Xian and
Kunming are all large modern cities, with every facility any westerner might
expect, including bottled water. It's available cheaply and readily
everywhere. Filling your bottle brought from home is NOT a good idea; unless
you can thoroughly clean out your bottle at the end of each day.

A bottle hanger/holder of some kind (and you can buy these everywhere in
China - and probably wherever you live also) IS a good idea.

ups.com...

Old July 20th, 2007, 08:07 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
tim.....

"A Mate" wrote in message
u...
You're following a fairly standard tourist itinerary. Guilin, Xian and
Kunming are all large modern cities, with every facility any westerner
might expect,

except drinkable tap water :-(

tim

Old July 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
A Mate

In truth it is as drinkable as in most western cities - but then I don't
drink tap water in many countries throughout the world - including many
European cities. But! Yeah! Good Point.

An interesting site: http://www.safewateronline.com/

"tim....." wrote in message

u...

Old July 20th, 2007, 11:01 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Viviane

If you do take your own bottle with you, make sure you pack it with your
checked in luggage for the flight. In most countries now you can't take a
container bigger than 100ml (not sure what that is for my American friends,
probably around 4 fl oz) as carry on, even if it's empty.

ups.com...

Old July 20th, 2007, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tim.....

"A Mate" wrote in message
In truth it is as drinkable as in most western cities

This depends upon what you mean by Drinkable.

Every source that I looked at recommended not
drinking the water without boiling it (for 10 minutes!),
including not washing your teath with it, not taking ice
in drinks nor eating raw fruit/veg that has been washed
in it. These are extreme precautions to take if there
really is nothing wrong with it.

I surmise (I do not know) that the tap water is not
treated in a way that makes it safe for consumption.

- but then I don't drink tap water in many countries throughout the world -
including many European cities.

There are no Western European, and few Eastern European
countries where you should not drink the water for fear of
it making you ill. The fact that one doen't like the 'treated'
taste is an entirely different reason for not drinking it, than
the reason in China.

tim

Old July 20th, 2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Jul 19, 7:47 pm, Denise wrote:
[...]

Another thought, that bottle will seem like 100 lbs at the end of a
long day. Don't bother.

Old July 21st, 2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
GN

On Jul 19, 10:47 pm, Denise wrote:
[...]

Denise,

Not sure about European countries, but if you go to any asian country
like tim said Boil the water for about 10 mins and use it, that should
suffice, instead of having the hassle of carrying water.

Ofcourse in united states they won't allow you take water in carry on
luggage, not sure about baggages, if you have plenty amount of water
they might ask you to remove it as well, you never know.

And one more thing when you buy a bottled water make sure the seal is
not tamperred especially in asian countries,
http://www.vtrip.info - Travel Guide

Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:17 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
A Mate

Erm!! Think you may have misread the OP's intentions; and mis-interpreted
the thrust of the replies in the thread, GN!

oups.com...